PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal stout

Captain Obvious
06-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Brewed that oatmeal stout yesterday. Set up my brewing shit with little idea of what I would be brewing, was thinking another pale ale.

Decided to go with the stout. I had some Quaker quick oats in the cupboard and had all the dark adjunct grains, so went with that.

So far it's turned out to be a big beer. Getting really good mash efficiency. Original gravity was 1.077 which is pretty big. It should finish high (a fair amount of residual sugar) which will give it a lot of body and mouth feel. There is a lot of angst about using oats and getting a stuck sparge (straining water through the grains to run off your wort) and it did go much slower than my previous sparges, but I drained 6 gallons off of it.

It's in the fermenter right now, cake bombed it onto a batch of pale ale yeast that I transferred to secondary (dumped the stout right onto the leftover yeast at the bottom of the carboy) and with all that sugar in the stout, this one might explode.

I'm really looking forward to this beer.

Conley
06-25-2011, 10:09 AM
how long do you have to wait? in my mind that would be the hardest part. guess you can always go to the store to tide you over though.

Captain Obvious
06-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Three weeks fermenting and at least another three weeks conditioning.

Conley
06-25-2011, 10:54 AM
so party at your place in seven weeks. got it.

i'm taking this thread as a sign it's time to open the bar...

MMC
06-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I am not a beer drinking.....not really a drinker at all. Once in a while socially. Neved did get into alcohol. But that is cool that you can make that from scratch.

Captain Obvious
06-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Love drinking me some beer.

This stout is batch #8 since late April. Going to brew a batch later on today - a summer ale for wifey.

I'm partial to pale ales and most of them are pales. One porter which is kegged and a bitter which is a milder version of pale ale.

Also going to get a batch of apfelwien going later. German hard cider, basically bottled apple juice, some added sugar and yeast. Supposed to be pretty good but it's got to sit in the carboy for something like 4 months.

Captain Obvious
06-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Gonna make some root beer for the kiddo tomorrow also.

Mister D
06-25-2011, 11:49 AM
A bartender friend of mine gives me the mistake or "oops" drinks sometimes. I've declined frees stouts. That is one beer I'd just can't drink.

Mister D
06-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Gonna make some root beer for the kiddo tomorrow also.

Lucky them!

MMC
06-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey Cap.....what name you sporting at Revere's site id you don't mind me asking. I usually only see that Hollywood and David guy there. Once in a while Divine Wind and Freecell. Wingrider is there to just has not been on.

Captain Obvious
06-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey Cap.....what name you sporting at Revere's site id you don't mind me asking. I usually only see that Hollywood and David guy there. Once in a while Divine Wind and Freecell. Wingrider is there to just has not been on.

Sweetchuck

It's a moniker that I usually use on sites.

Captain Obvious
06-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Brewed a cream ale today, probably the closest I'll get to budmiller.

Tiny grain bill, not like the stout. 8lbs total including 2lbs of flaked corn and a box of minute rice.

I was aiming for an original gravity of 1.043 and wound up with 1.042 so I'm pretty happy with that. Never mashed with corn and rice before and I was a bit concerned.

It's really light, no doubt it will be yellow - very close if not spot on to commercial beer. My 7yr old said it looked like pee.