PDA

View Full Version : Fort Pitt Beer

Mister D
09-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Figured Cap't O must be familiar with this Pittisburgh classic. I never heard of it.

---

PITTSBURGH - Two local brewers are battling over the rights to resurrect Fort Pitt Beer, the post-World War II king of Pittsburgh beers.

Jones Brewing Co. of Smithton, which has brewed Fort Pitt, is vying for the rights to the latest iteration of the beer with Duke Brewing's Mark Dudash, an Upper St. Clair lawyer who resurrected Duquesne beer last year.

Jones Brewing, which makes beers under the Stoney's label, has received federal and state approval for a Fort Pitt label. But Dudash said that Jones let the trademark for Fort Pitt lapse and that he acquired the rights to the brand when he registered the Fort Pitt trademark in 2009.

"The circuit courts are clear. Once it lapses, it lapses," Dudash said. "They're going to run this into the market, and my position is they don't have any legs to stand on."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20110919_Two_brewers_battle_for_rights_to_historic _Pittsburgh_beer_label.html

Conley
09-19-2011, 08:12 AM
It's weird how a beer can be so popular at one time and then completely fade away like that. I wonder if it's because of advertising or what...I mean if the taste of the beer stays the same you'd think people would still drink it.

Mister D
09-19-2011, 08:34 AM
It's weird how a beer can be so popular at one time and then completely fade away like that. I wonder if it's because of advertising or what...I mean if the taste of the beer stays the same you'd think people would still drink it.

I think it's mostly advertising but I'm not sure. I've been drinking Rheingold and Pabst lately. IMHO, they are better than Bud but because Bud advertises their brand extensively it's more expensive. That's they way I always understood it anyway.

Conley
09-19-2011, 09:00 AM
There was some other beer that almost died out and made a big comeback...I'm trying to remember the name, I want to say Yuengling but that's not it.

I'm not sure I've seen Rheingold around here but I should pick up some Pabst. Been drinking way too much Miller Lite lately.