PDA

View Full Version : Troy Davis Claims Innocence As He Dies

Conley
09-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Troy Davis was executed this evening for the murder of an off-duty policeman after the U.S. Supreme Court denied a last-minute stay of execution amid widespread public doubts about his guilt.

Davis, 42, died at 11:08 p.m. ET, according to a Georgia Department of Corrections official. His death by lethal injection came after an approximately four-hour delay for legal review.

Eyewitnesses described the mood in the execution chamber as "somber" as Davis was wheeled in strapped to a gurney. He declared his innocence a final time in the 1989 murder as witnesses and relatives of the victim -- off-duty Savannah, Ga., policeman Mark MacPhail -- looked on.

"I'd like to address the MacPhail family," Davis said, according to The Associated Press. "Let you know, despite the situation you are in, I'm not the one who personally killed your son, your father, your brother. I am innocent.

"The incident that happened that night is not my fault," he added. "I did not have a gun. All I can ask ... is that you look deeper into this case so that you really can finally see the truth.

"I ask my family and friends to continue to fight this fight," he said. "For those about to take my life, God have mercy on your souls. And may God bless your souls."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/troy-davis-executed-stay-denied-supreme-court/story?id=14571862

That must be so hard on the family. I wonder if there could be any truth to it? Wouldn't be the first time an innocent man was executed. I wonder how often they stick to their story even as the execution is happening. Seems a guilty man would not do that generally speaking, though I am sure there are exceptions.

Pendragon
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
This debacle is a travesty of justice. Of that there can be no doubt.

In such a situation it behooves the system to stay with punishments that it can overturn. Death is not among them.

Pendragon
09-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Requiescat en pace.

Pendragon
09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Ann Coulter is foul.

http://twitter.com/#!/AnnCoulter/status/116628663260299265

Conley
09-22-2011, 10:12 AM

In such a situation it behooves the system to stay with punishments that it can overturn. Death is not among them.

How do you know he's innocent? Or are you just assuming?

Mister D
09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Free Mumia!

Mister D
09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Ann Coulter is foul.

http://twitter.com/#!/AnnCoulter/status/116628663260299265

I don't send 'tweets' or whatever the heck they are called. What did she say?

Conley
09-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Looks like the link got messed up. Just copy and paste it. It'll only take a second.

Mister D
09-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Pen does sound quite sure of himself.

Conley
09-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Free Mumia!

I guess that case is still around, eh? It takes so long for these executions to happen.

Mister D
09-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Free Mumia!

I guess that case is still around, eh? It takes so long for these executions to happen.

When they execute some white dude I don't see these hysterical outpourings of outrage and grief.

Conley
09-22-2011, 10:35 AM
There's definitely a lot less of it. You don't have to be black to get hosed by the cops.

Mister D
09-22-2011, 10:38 AM
There's definitely a lot less of it. You don't have to be black to get hosed by the cops.

Definitely not.

Pendragon
09-22-2011, 10:42 AM

I do not claim to know what has happened, merely that there exists significant doubt surrounding the case. Furthermore capital punishment is wrong and even moreso when the case is as questionable as this one.

Mister D
09-22-2011, 10:50 AM

I do not claim to know what has happened, merely that there exists significant doubt surrounding the case. Furthermore capital punishment is wrong and even moreso when the case is as questionable as this one.

Fair enough.

Pendragon
09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
My mouth is agape.

Mister D
09-22-2011, 10:56 AM
My mouth is agape.

:-*

Conley
09-22-2011, 11:02 AM
My mouth is agape.

:-*