PDA

View Full Version : Putin Will Seek Russian Presidency in 2012

Conley
09-24-2011, 10:11 AM
MOSCOW — Vladimir V. Putin, who for more than a decade has labored to consolidate authority in Russia under his control, will run for president next year, replacing his protégé, Dmitri A. Medvedev, and possibly extending his rule until 2024.

Mr. Medvedev made the announcement on Saturday, at the convention of United Russia, the country’s dominant political party. His voice cracking with emotion, he said that the decision had been “deeply thought out,” and suggested that there had been discussions about Mr. Putin’s eventual return to the presidency for years.

Mr. Putin then took the stage and proposed that Mr. Medvedev could now succeed him as prime minister. Before the announcement, Mr. Putin had hinted that such a change might be coming, saying that Mr. Medvedev would lead United Russia’s list of candidates going to parliamentary elections in December.

Mr. Putin remained Russia’s pre-eminent political figure even after he tapped Mr. Medvedev for the presidency at the end of his own second term four years ago. Analysts have long speculated that Mr. Medvedev would act as a placeholder for Mr. Putin, who can now legally return to the presidency for a third term after spending four years as prime minister.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/world/europe/medvedev-says-putin-will-seek-russian-presidency-in-2012.html?_r=1

To me the biggest surprise is the suggestion that Medvedev was under any impression that he might really hold some kind of power? It doesn't seem like a bad position for a man of limited ambition to be in, at least to me.

MMC
09-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Looks like Putin says he will be making those Appearances on the Grand Stage. This time he doesnt have to worry about a cowboy in the White House. Which means he will not tread warily like he did with Bush. This will create problems for Democrats even moreso. Also for the EU as well.

Conley
09-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Looks like Putin says he will be making those Appearances on the Grand Stage. This time he doesnt have to worry about a cowboy in the White House. Which means he will not tread warily like he did with Bush. This will create problems for Democrats even moreso. Also for the EU as well.

By the time Putin assumes control I don't think Obama will be around for much longer.

MMC
09-24-2011, 12:20 PM

By the time Putin assumes control I don't think Obama will be around for much longer.

Wont matter which Repub is up there this time. All are weak. Why, is it like I hear Glum from Gullivers Travels.....yelling out Were Doomed!

Conley
09-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Wont matter which Repub is up there this time. All are weak. Why, is it like I hear Glum from Gullivers Travels.....yelling out Were Doomed!

Well, that's probably true. Maybe Putin will respect another Texan? ;D

I haven't seen any Perry polls lately but I imagine he is still a clear front runner.

Mister D
09-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Putin may very well be what Russia needs right now. It seems like some of our pols are intent on making enemies out of the Russians again. What for?

Conley
09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Putin may very well be what Russia needs right now. It seems like some of our pols are intent on making enemies out of the Russians again. What for?

That's unfortunate. They could be a good ally (within reason) and another check on China...we need close relations with Russia to fight terrorism and keep their nuke technology out of enemy hands as well imo.

Mister D
09-24-2011, 04:23 PM

That's unfortunate. They could be a good ally (within reason) and another check on China...we need close relations with Russia to fight terrorism and keep their nuke technology out of enemy hands as well imo.

Agreed. Granted, I don't think we should always trust the Russians but we also shouldn't be trying to force democracy on them.

Conley
09-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Agreed. Granted, I don't think we should always trust the Russians but we also shouldn't be trying to force democracy on them.

Sure. We don't have to be BFFs but we can work together on some issues. There's no benefit to antagonizing them as far as I can tell.

Mister D
09-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Sure. We don't have to be BFFs but we can work together on some issues. There's no benefit to antagonizing them as far as I can tell.

Especially when you consider the psychological dimension. Russia needs to get back on her feet and get her self-respect back. There is no sense in trying to flaunt our Cold War victory over them. As if we expect them to be emulate us. Let Russia be Russia.

Conley
09-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes exactly that...and you are right in that we shouldn't push for democracy there. God knows what the unhappy citizens there would choose, though they do seem pleased with Putin. Though would we really know if they weren't?

Mister D
09-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes exactly that...and you are right in that we shouldn't push for democracy there. God knows what the unhappy citizens there would choose, though they do seem pleased with Putin. Though would we really know if they weren't?

Yeah, I think enough journalists and just thoughtful travelers would pick up on it while in Russia. I'd imagine it's hard not to when you interact with people.

Conley
09-24-2011, 07:18 PM

Yeah, I think enough journalists and just thoughtful travelers would pick up on it while in Russia. I'd imagine it's hard not to when you interact with people.

Yeah but then all you have are personal anecdotes. If the public opinion polls show 60% approval, no one is going to believe you anyway I wouldn't think. And considering how bad things have been in Russia, and for how long, doesn't it stand to reason that people would hold Putin accountable? Other than a strong stand in Chechnya has he really done anything notable or to improve the lives of ordinary Russians? I am almost certain he is not as popular as we all think.

Mister D
09-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Yeah but then all you have are personal anecdotes. If the public opinion polls show 60% approval, no one is going to believe you anyway I wouldn't think. And considering how bad things have been in Russia, and for how long, doesn't it stand to reason that people would hold Putin accountable? Other than a strong stand in Chechnya has he really done anything notable or to improve the lives of ordinary Russians? I am almost certain he is not as popular as we all think.

It's an interesting question. The Economist did a special issue on Russia last year. I have no idea where it is now. I might have tossed it. That would probably be worth reading. I only read one or two articles from the Russia section.

Conley
09-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Is the Economist monthly or weekly? If it's weekly I can see how it'd be hard to keep up.

Mister D
09-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Is the Economist monthly or weekly? If it's weekly I can see how it'd be hard to keep up.

Yep it's weekly. It's expensive and it's very hard to keep up even for an avid reader like me.

Conley
09-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah that would be too much. I'd go for the equivalent of a Sunday subscription for newspapers if they had it.

Mister D
09-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah that would be too much. I'd go for the equivalent of a Sunday subscription for newspapers if they had it.

I'm not sure if I am going to renew my subscription. Maybe there is something less frequent and just as good.

MMC
09-25-2011, 12:10 AM

I'm not sure if I am going to renew my subscription. Maybe there is something less frequent and just as good.

Dennis Pragar was talking bout this subject the other day. When he was done he concluded with Thank God for talk radio. Also I think TownHall magazine is one for Conservatives. But I don't know how much foreign policy it carries.

Conley
09-25-2011, 08:53 AM
I haven't found any talk radio that can compare to reading really good articles.