PDA

View Full Version : Robert Alter's translation of the Five Books of Moses

KC
10-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Has anyone here read Robert Alter's translation of the Pentateuch? I thought it might be of some interest here with all the biblical scholarship, but I really like his way of translation. While many modern translations of the bible try to make language more manageable for modern English speakers, Alter's goal is to give a translation that shows the richness of the Hebrew language and some of the devices that they used. I never liked reading the Old Testament as much as I did when I got a hold of this.

Anyone know of any other really food translations of biblical texts?

Mister D
10-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I recently read a good theology of the OT. Does Alter make exegetical commentary?

KC
10-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I recently read a good theology of the OT. Does Alter make exegetical commentary?

Yeah, there's a lot of it. My study of it began as a project where we analyzed the political philosophy/structure of the Hebrews, which made his explanations extremely useful. Alter himself is Jewish and is very critical of some of the widely read translations of the OT. He makes a good case for his style of translation from a literary standpoint and says that he himself thinks more highly of King James than any of the more widely read editions.

Mister D
10-05-2012, 02:25 PM
The theology I read was by a Evangelical author and he also took a literary approach. That makes a lot of sense to me. It was impressive. Thanks, BTW. I just added it to my Amazon wishlist.

KC
10-05-2012, 02:30 PM
The theology I read was by a Evangelical author and he also took a literary approach. That makes a lot of sense to me. It was impressive. Thanks, BTW. I just added it to my Amazon wishlist.

The literary approach makes sense to me too. Trying to read things from our perspective takes a lot of the literary art from the Bible. I guess the more modern approach makes sense though if you are just looking for religious morals and guidance. No problem D!

Mister D
10-05-2012, 02:34 PM
The literary approach makes sense to me too. Trying to read things from our perspective takes a lot of the literary art from the Bible. I guess the more modern approach makes sense though if you are just looking for religious morals and guidance. No problem D!

Meeting the books of the bible on their own terms is a must, IMHO. That's one reason I enjoy that approach.

He's got some other titles on Amazon. Looks like an interesting author.

KC
10-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Meeting the books of the bible on their own terms is a must, IMHO. That's one reason I enjoy that approach.

He's got some other titles on Amazon. Looks like an interesting author.

I'd really like to read some more about his commentary on translations. Most of what I know was in the foreword to The Five Books. I'd definitely like to read The Art of Biblical Narrative someday.

Mister D
10-05-2012, 02:44 PM
I'd really like to read some more about his commentary on translations. Most of what I know was in the foreword to The Five Books. I'd definitely like to read The Art of Biblical Narrative someday.

I've been in theological overdrive lately. Not sure why. I will probaby buy this soon. Again, thanks for the recommendation. I'm in the middle of a NT theology by Udo Schnelle right now. It's a mammoth tome and will probably keep me occupied for another couple months.

http://www.amazon.com/Theology-New-Testament-Udo-Schnelle/dp/0801036046/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349466182&sr=1-1&keywords=udo+schnelle

Alter is next.

KC
10-05-2012, 02:48 PM
I've been in theological overdrive lately. Not sure why. I will probaby buy this soon. Again, thanks for the recommendation. I'm in the middle of a NT theology by Udo Schnelle right now. It's a mammoth tome and will probably keep me occupied for another couple months.

http://www.amazon.com/Theology-New-Testament-Udo-Schnelle/dp/0801036046/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349466182&sr=1-1&keywords=udo+schnelle

Alter is next.

It would probably do me some good to study seriously the books of the NT, maybe I'll check that out. For me, the New Testament was always a much more simple and straightforward read. I'm sure there's a lot of nuance I'm missing.

Mister D
10-05-2012, 03:02 PM
It would probably do me some good to study seriously the books of the NT, maybe I'll check that out. For me, the New Testament was always a much more simple and straightforward read. I'm sure there's a lot of nuance I'm missing.

I think Schnelle is great. It's pretty cerebral but I like that sort of thing. He has great historiographical insights as well that have proved useful to me in other areas of study. A few years back I wanted to buy a a book about the Apostle Paul. I prayed about it because I know there are widely divergent views of the apostle and I wanted to choose wisely.I wound up purchasing his book about the theology and life of Saint Paul.

Ivan88
10-13-2012, 10:30 PM
picture of Genesis Passage & comment
Read Amazon's preview of Alter's book on First 5 Books,

He doesn't say anything about what Genesis is saying, except he does make a good point about the helpmeet given to Adam, click on picture above for this particular passage.

He uses along side, a sustainer, intervener on behalf of Adam, which is what a wife is supposed to be. In ancient they used the word, wifman for woman. It means with man.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HLQqo-EeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg