PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Ferment Their Own Juice

Conley
09-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Kind of sounds like fun...a recipe I found:

Make five gallons of Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade, add five pounds of sugar, one packet of champagne yeast, and seal it tightly to ferment for a couple of weeks.

What do you think? Cheap too.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 02:02 PM

Make five gallons of Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade, add five pounds of sugar, one packet of champagne yeast, and seal it tightly to ferment for a couple of weeks.

I never did but a friend made his own beer once. It was called Mr. Beer or something like that. It was a kit that included a keg and the yeast. I thin it was a one time deal. You had to throw it out after one use. Tased kind of sweet from what I remember.

Conley
09-27-2011, 02:03 PM

I never did but a friend made his own beer once. It was called Mr. Beer or something like that. It was a kit that included a keg and the yeast. I thin it was a one time deal. You had to throw it out after one use. Tased kind of sweet from what I remember.

Yeah, Cap'n has talked a lot about homebrewing. That sounds expensive to start and a lot of work. This sounds easy and ghetto, more my style ;D Cheap and lazy baby, that's how I am. O0

Mister D
09-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Yeah, Cap'n has talked a lot about homebrewing. That sounds expensive to start and a lot of work. This sounds easy and ghetto, more my style ;D Cheap and lazy baby, that's how I am. O0

Their inexpensive to brew your own beer. It wn't be an operation like Cap't O's but check these out.

http://www.mrbeer.com/

Conley
09-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Cool, TY. That does look interesting. I think it is the name that I find most unappealing about it. :D

2 gallons for $16...not bad. This hard lemonade would be about $2 / gallon.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Cool, TY. That does look interesting. I think it is the name that I find most unappealing about it. :D

I never liked sweet drinks like that.

Conley
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Five gallons would be way too much for me but I could do with one drink like that per night. I'll drink a sweet drink but after two I'm pretty much finished.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 02:34 PM

Five gallons would be way too much for me but I could do with one drink like that per night. I'll drink a sweet drink but after two I'm pretty much finished.

Some of the sweeter beers turn my stomach after a while. Lambics, for example.

Conley
09-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Yeah I don't ever drink sweet beers. Not even one. Never heard of Lambics.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 03:10 PM

Yeah I don't ever drink sweet beers. Not even one. Never heard of Lambics.

It's a style. I can drink a couple but I'm done after that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambic

Conley
09-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Ahh interesting. Not appealing but still interesting. :)

Mister D
09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Ahh interesting. Not appealing but still interesting. :)

I'm pretty open to trying new beers. I'm not that way with booze though.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 06:15 PM

You have to be careful with this recipe, while champagne yeast can tolerate high levels of alcohol during fermentation, it needs nutrient to thrive - and sugar, acid (from lemonaid) doesn't provide nutrient.

You might get lucky and get a good fermentation however you won't have to rely on luck if you add some yeast nutrient to that batch. I'm guessing though that if you do that recipe, you'll get something low in alcohol, high in sugar (sweet) but fairly drinkable. Maybe that's the trick though, adding nutrient will cause the yeast to ferment all that sugar and you might wind up with a slightly tart (not sweet) winey beverage.

Google "Skeeter pee" - it's basically lemon juice, nutrient, yeast and sugar.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Get one of these also - it's all cheap, and a plastic air lock and rubber drilled cork. Might cost you fifteen bucks total and you can use them forever:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/2-gallon-plastic-fermenter-w-drilled-lid.html

My only other suggestion is to sterilize that shit first. A half cup of standard (not scented) bleach and 5 gallons of water will do the trick. Rinse in hot water afterward until you can't smell the bleach and you're golden.

You might thank me for that in the long run. Nothing like dumping 5 gallons of liquor because it has bugs in it.

edit - I fucked that link up, it's the 2 gal version. There's a 5 gal version on that site, just dig around a bit. Might be a couple bucks more.

Conley
09-27-2011, 06:24 PM

You have to be careful with this recipe, while champagne yeast can tolerate high levels of alcohol during fermentation, it needs nutrient to thrive - and sugar, acid (from lemonaid) doesn't provide nutrient.

You might get lucky and get a good fermentation however you won't have to rely on luck if you add some yeast nutrient to that batch. I'm guessing though that if you do that recipe, you'll get something low in alcohol, high in sugar (sweet) but fairly drinkable. Maybe that's the trick though, adding nutrient will cause the yeast to ferment all that sugar and you might wind up with a slightly tart (not sweet) winey beverage.

Google "Skeeter pee" - it's basically lemon juice, nutrient, yeast and sugar.

Cool...this recipe said it would end up around 6% which I thought would be ok. I'll check out Skeeter Pee :D

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 06:31 PM
6% is not quite wine territory, it's more like a high alcohol beer territory. Considering all that sugar, I'd guess that the final product is meant to be sweet.

Give it a shot the way it is, see how it turns out. Why not? I'd still go with the fermentation bucket and airlock though.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 06:36 PM
6% is pretty strong brew. It's funny how 12% wine (that's the average I would say) is tasty but when beer gets beyond 8% it tastes awful. At least in my opinion.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 06:39 PM
6% is pretty strong brew. It's funny how 12% wine (that's the average I would say) is tasty but when beer gets beyond 8% it tastes awful. At least in my opinion.

It really depends on the beer. Alcohol has a distinct flavor but IMO as long as it's not the primary flavor in a drink, yeah - it can work.

Bloody mary's - I mix them heavy with vodka, but I spice the shit out of them. You can taste the vodka but it's not the primary flavor.

High alcohol beer has to have a balance of body, hops and malt - moreso than lawnmower beer for it to have an all around good drinking experience. I tend to avoid high alcohol beers though because I like drinking a lot of beer but I don't like waking up at 3pm the next day with a dry mouth and headache.

Conley
09-27-2011, 06:43 PM

I haven't had much above 8% so I don't really know if I'd like it or not.

You think 6% is strong beer?

Stone IPA is 7.5 or so and is delicious. The regular pale ale is about 5.5 I think.

What are Spaten, Pilsner Urquel? Some of those old brews must have a decent content.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 06:49 PM

It really depends on the beer. Alcohol has a distinct flavor but IMO as long as it's not the primary flavor in a drink, yeah - it can work.

Bloody mary's - I mix them heavy with vodka, but I spice the shit out of them. You can taste the vodka but it's not the primary flavor.

High alcohol beer has to have a balance of body, hops and malt - moreso than lawnmower beer for it to have an all around good drinking experience. I tend to avoid high alcohol beers though because I like drinking a lot of beer but I don't like waking up at 3pm the next day with a dry mouth and headache.

I agree about the flavor of alcohol and I should admit upfront that the high alcohol beers I've had weren't top of the line. They weren't ghetto beers but they weren't of high quality either. The taste of the alcohol was much more pronounced than I'm used to. Yeah, it could just be a recipe that would taste a lot better with less alcohol. When I reach for a more traditional beer (as opposed to lawn mower beer) I try to stay in the 5.4%-5.8% range.

I drink single malt scotch straight with an ice cube or two which I take out after a few minutes. The flavors in a good scotch really come out and, quite frankly, I don;t even find it that harsh.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm guessing by style, those German type lagers should probably be around normal - 4-5%.

6% is strong, I typically target 4-5 for my standard ales but I'm a common ale drinker - meaning I like common ale, the shit that a common brit would be drinking.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 06:52 PM

I agree about the flavor of alcohol and I should admit upfront that the high alcohol beers I've had weren't top of the line. They weren't ghetto beers but they weren't of high quality either. The taste of the alcohol was much more pronounced than I'm used to. Yeah, it could just be a recipe that would taste a lot better with less alcohol. When I reach for a more traditional beer (as opposed to lawn mower beer) I try to stay in the 5.4%-5.8% range.

I drink single malt scotch straight with an ice cube or two which I take out after a few minutes. The flavors in a good scotch really come out and, quite frankly, I don;t even find it that harsh.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8MtX8Ev_i0xlBpHTkd85MMq07FkPtE 47kH3U19HgZNryRrq2s

I rarely drink whiskey, but when I do - I prefer bourbon on ice (no, I don't take the cubes out either).

Mister D
09-27-2011, 06:55 PM

I haven't had much above 8% so I don't really know if I'd like it or not.

You think 6% is strong beer?

Stone IPA is 7.5 or so and is delicious. The regular pale ale is about 5.5 I think.

What are Spaten, Pilsner Urquel? Some of those old brews must have a decent content.

It's strong when you are drinking a 6 pack. The beers I'm recalling now were around 8 or 9% and I remember thinking they tasted like alcohol. When I bought them I didn't realize they were so high in alcohol. When I started drinking I was wondering what was throwing the taste off so much and I checked the bottle. They had almost 50% more alcohol than the beers I'm used to drinking.

Not sure about Spaten.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 06:56 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8MtX8Ev_i0xlBpHTkd85MMq07FkPtE 47kH3U19HgZNryRrq2s

I rarely drink whiskey, but when I do - I prefer bourbon on ice (no, I don't take the cubes out either).

I drank malt liquor in my early 20s. ;D I used to get the Colt 45 45 ounce. :D

I've never had a good bourbon. I'm open to it. I've had Wild Turkey and one or two others. Sour mash is disgusting so JD is out.

Conley
09-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Spaten is a little bit over 5%

Some of the IPAs have a higher alcohol content and can be a bit harsh, but I think that's the hops.

I like it all gents, I am no elitist. ;D

I want to get some PBR soon. When I was down I'd drink Natural Ice. It was like $5 for a 12 pack...I think only homeless and myself touch that shit.

Conley
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Oh I like old JD just fine. Straight, rocks, with Coke, any which way. I'm a pig.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 07:02 PM
JD has that "whiskey face" flavor a bit much though, but I'll not turn it down.

Wild Turkey - a little similar, especially the 101.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Spaten is a little bit over 5%

Some of the IPAs have a higher alcohol content and can be a bit harsh, but I think that's the hops.

I like it all gents, I am no elitist. ;D

I want to get some PBR soon. When I was down I'd drink Natural Ice. It was like $5 for a 12 pack...I think only homeless and myself touch that shit.

What a coincidence. I'm drinking a PBR right now. 8)

Mister D
09-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I can't get JD passed my nose. I may give bourbon another shot though.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I can't get JD passed my nose. I may give bourbon another shot though.

Drinking JD is like eating pussy. If you smell it first, you're sunk.

Conley
09-27-2011, 08:18 PM
How can you avoid it though? You can't. :-\

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 08:21 PM
How can you avoid it though? You can't. :-\

You have much to learn, young padawan.

Conley
09-27-2011, 08:32 PM
The thread title of "fermenting your own juice" just took on a whole new meaning.

:-X :-* :-X

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Oh, the irony.

Conley
09-27-2011, 08:41 PM
All this talk of yeast.

:-[ :-[ :-[

I think I'll have wine tonight instead.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 08:47 PM
All this talk of yeast.

One thing in life that I've learned along the way that everything that ever makes sense comes to a focal point somewhere along the line.

You just proved that.

As far as wine goes, my wife is a self described wine junkie but in reality, anything semi-sweet and fruity shuts her up. Me - I like wine, but not whatever is trendy. I just had a wine (ironically I bought a bottle of it a year ago and wound up buying a bottle of the same shit in NC on vacation and tasted it for the first time) and it was great. I have to drink the one in the fridge soon, it was a fizzy, sort of dry fruity wine. I forgot the name of it already but I liked it a lot. I hope the one in the fridge that's been sitting there a year is still good. Mimosa - that's it. Local NC wine. Reddish, lots of stuff floating around in it. Fantastic.

Aside from that, I like dego red. Dry red wines. Bulls Blood from Yugoslavia - great wine. Grape wines (those that taste like actual grapes) are good also.

Conley
09-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Bulls Blood....now that is an awesome name for a wine.

I am drinking some cheap stuff (not that I care obviously). Yellow tail Cabernet Sauvignon

I only know of mimosa as champagne and orange juice, I'll have to look it up.

I was thinking actually of fermenting grape juice instead of lemonade, I think that would taste better. More like wine and less like one of those 'flavored malt beverages'.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 09:04 PM
All this talk of yeast.

One thing in life that I've learned along the way that everything that ever makes sense comes to a focal point somewhere along the line.

You just proved that.

As far as wine goes, my wife is a self described wine junkie but in reality, anything semi-sweet and fruity shuts her up. Me - I like wine, but not whatever is trendy. I just had a wine (ironically I bought a bottle of it a year ago and wound up buying a bottle of the same shit in NC on vacation and tasted it for the first time) and it was great. I have to drink the one in the fridge soon, it was a fizzy, sort of dry fruity wine. I forgot the name of it already but I liked it a lot. I hope the one in the fridge that's been sitting there a year is still good. Mimosa - that's it. Local NC wine. Reddish, lots of stuff floating around in it. Fantastic.

Aside from that, I like dego red. Dry red wines. Bulls Blood from Yugoslavia - great wine. Grape wines (those that taste like actual grapes) are good also.

I drank quite a few bottles of Sangre de Toro (Bull's blood) but it's a Spanish wine. I am partial to Spanish and Chilean wines.

http://www.stewartswineco.com.au/images/uploads/SANGRE_DE_TORO2006.jpg

I've seen the Bull's Blood you are talking about. I thought it was Hungarian though. It's called Bull's Blood of Eger. That's a Hungarian city.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Bulls Blood....now that is an awesome name for a wine.

I am drinking some cheap stuff (not that I care obviously). Yellow tail Cabernet Sauvignon

I only know of mimosa as champagne and orange juice, I'll have to look it up.

I was thinking actually of fermenting grape juice instead of lemonade, I think that would taste better. More like wine and less like one of those 'flavored malt beverages'.

Yellow Tail and Bull's Blood are in the same class, IMO.

Conley
09-27-2011, 09:06 PM
I've had the one you posted D. It is good. I like the Spanish reds.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I've had the one you posted D. It is good. I like the Spanish reds.

I think it's delicious. I haven't had it in a while and I have been meaning to pick some wine up.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 09:13 PM
I like Faustino too. I've had several of their wines but they tend to be a little more than I'm willing to spend on beer or wine.

http://cache.wine.com/labels/109460d.jpg

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 09:15 PM
All this talk of yeast.

You just proved that.

I drank quite a few bottles of Sangre de Toro (Bull's blood) but it's a Spanish wine. I am partial to Spanish and Chilean wines.

http://www.stewartswineco.com.au/images/uploads/SANGRE_DE_TORO2006.jpg

I've seen the Bull's Blood you are talking about. I thought it was Hungarian though. It's called Bull's Blood of Eger. That's a Hungarian city.

Bulls Blood - Hungary, my bad.

http://thehungariangirl.com/2009/06/10/bulls-blood-egri-bikaver-hungarian-red-wine/

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 09:17 PM
This ethnic old lady used to give my dad (who was a letter carrier) a bottle of it every year for Christmas. He didn't like it and that's how I acquired a taste for it. It's been a while since I've bought a bottle of it, but it's very dry and yeasty. I like it a lot.

Conley
09-27-2011, 09:17 PM
There's potential here:

http://thehungariangirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/DSC_5295-680x1024.jpg

edit: my bad , didn't think that photo was going to be so huge ???

Conley
09-27-2011, 09:18 PM
This ethnic old lady used to give my dad (who was a letter carrier) a bottle of it every year for Christmas. He didn't like it and that's how I acquired a taste for it. It's been a while since I've bought a bottle of it, but it's very dry and yeasty. I like it a lot.

Must...resist...joke...

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Must...resist...joke...

She owned one of those upscale ethnic restaurants on the South Side of Pittsburgh - I forgot the name already, they've closed lately but it was one of THE places to go for good off-the-wall ethnic food. The mayor used to be a regular there along with a couple of Steelers (Franco I think).

I never ate there, they closed before I could afford it but she always gave my dad that bottle.

Mister D
09-27-2011, 09:23 PM
The liquor store I normally shop at is owned by Croat immigrants. They have more eastern European stuff than I see elsewhere. That's where I got that high alcohol beer I was talking about. Now that I think about it they were Russian beers. I forget the name though.

Conley
09-27-2011, 09:34 PM
The liquor store I normally shop at is owned by Croat immigrants. They have more eastern European stuff than I see elsewhere. That's where I got that high alcohol beer I was talking about. Now that I think about it they were Russian beers. I forget the name though.

How do you know they're Croatian (not Croatan I presume ;D)? Do you chat em up? I have a bad habit of mixing up Serbs and Croats. They don't like that. :o

Captain Obvious
09-27-2011, 09:37 PM

How do you know they're Croatian (not Croatan I presume ;D)? Do you chat em up? I have a bad habit of mixing up Serbs and Croats. They don't like that. :o

So did Milosevic.

... whoops.

Conley
09-27-2011, 09:38 PM
:roflmao:

Mister D
09-28-2011, 09:34 AM

They're definitely not Injuns. ;D It's a small family store so it's hard not to get to know names and so forth.

Conley
09-28-2011, 09:36 AM

They're definitely not Injuns. ;D It's a small family store so it's hard not to get to know names and so forth.

I am uncomfortable in family stores for exactly this reason :D

Mister D
09-28-2011, 09:42 AM

I am uncomfortable in family stores for exactly this reason :D

I couldn't beat the location. It was right around the corner from my old apartment. It's great to be able to walk a block to the liquor store. I'd get back from a run sometims and realize I'm out of beer. It was never a hassle because I didn't have to drive.

Conley
09-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Yeah, under those circumstances it is understandable. Still I wouldn't be making small talk. :D ;)

Mister D
09-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah, under those circumstances it is understandable. Still I wouldn't be making small talk. :D ;)

I'm not asking about the freakin' kids and $hit. :D Hi how are ya kind of stuff.

Captain Obvious
09-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Injuns...

I was staying at this shithole motel on a gig and of course it was ran by Pakistanis. They were cool, I hung out with them for a while. The son was very Americanized but the father was hardcore Pakistani. He had a cable feed that gave him Pakistani criquet (sp?) games.

Anyway, the place never had a lot of people staying there. One weekend a bunch of his family members had rooms there - his daughter got married and I guess they all stayed there. There was a cleaning lady, very rednecky. She came back from the wedding and was telling me all about it - mostly about how everyone dressed and that she really didn't like "Injun" food.

;D ;D ;D

Conley
09-28-2011, 06:53 PM
:D One bad (or good?) thing about Indian food is that a lot of it looks the same going in as it does going out.

Wait, that's definitely bad.