PDA

View Full Version : LOL! Pony Island Rocks!

IMPress Polly
10-27-2016, 05:53 AM
Well I've just completed the title that, barring some genuine late-year surprise, will be my pick for game of the year: Pony Island!

Here's the game's premise: You are in limbo, trapped in a malevolent and malfunctioning arcade machine devised by Satan. The devil detests having his puzzles solved and poor programming exposed, so, with the aid of the soul of the last person to play the game (who is now trapped inside), you've gotta successfully hack (as in computer hack) your way out of the fictional, corrupted arcade cabinet. The process is quite hilarious and fun! Pony Island is about making fun of poor game design, including as applied by a lot of 'classic' games, in a really smart way that constantly introduces new elements so you never get bored. It breaks the fourth wall a ton, but within a metafictional narrative structure that makes it even more entertaining than I usually find that in games.

In case you've been unable to tell based on my expressed affection for games like Undertale, The Stanley Parable, Braid, Spec Ops: The Line, etc., I'm kind of an anti-games-industry person who rather enjoys relentlessly anti-establishment titles like this. :grin: If you haven't tried this rebellious little game (which is NOT about ponies :tongue:) yet, I highly recommend it! You'll laugh almost continuously (at least if you're a hardcore enough gamer to get all the jokes) while it drains your brain.

IMPress Polly
10-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Even the trailer for this game is fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vLzSh1UKgs