PDA

View Full Version : Germany Slams US Suggestion to Save Euro

Conley
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM
German finance minister Wolfgang Schauble said it would be a folly to boost the EU's bail-out machinery (EFSF) beyond its €440bn lending limit by deploying leverage to up to €2 trillion, perhaps by raising funds from the European Central Bank.

"I don't understand how anyone in the European Commission can have such a stupid idea. The result would be to endanger the AAA sovereign debt ratings of other member states. It makes no sense," he said.

Mr Schauble told Washington to mind its own businesss after President Barack Obama rebuked EU leaders for failing to recapitalise banks and allowing the debt crisis to escalate to the point where it is "scaring the world".

"It's always much easier to give advice to others than to decide for yourself. I am well prepared to give advice to the US government," he said.

The comments risk irritating the White House. US Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner has been a key driver of plans to give the EFSF enough firepower to shore up Italy and Spain, fearing a drift into "cascading default, bank runs and catastrophic risk" without dramatic action.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8793010/Germany-slams-stupid-US-plans-to-boost-EU-rescue-fund.html

As bad as things are here, can you imagine how pissed off you'd be if you were German right now? Supporting the entire Eurozone and paying off Greek debt? I don't see how this scenario plays out without the collapse of the Euro. It is going to get uglier. Germans are not going to put up with these bailouts...they're even worse than the ones we had in this country.

Pendragon
09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Europe is right to laugh at the United States offering economic advice.

Better that our leader focus on improving our own economy in its current state of disrepair.

Regardless, one must acknowledge on both sides of the pond how inextricably linked our economies are.