PDA

View Full Version : Is our universe the only universe?

Chris
10-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Brian Greene is a physicist who brings complex science down to earth. Here he talks about the multiverse, event horizon, string theory. Well worth a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S8G_BH9OPA

roadmaster
10-15-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't know. Many mysteries and as a Christ Follower will be reviled when He comes back.

This is not something I worry about or seek. For on this Earth is but a blink of an eye.

Trinnity
10-15-2012, 10:19 PM
It's very possible there may be mult-verses. So much is beyond our knowledge.

Deadwood
10-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't know. Many mysteries and as a Christ Follower will be reviled when He comes back.

This is not something I worry about or seek. For on this Earth is but a blink of an eye.

"I have sheep who are not of this pen."

Deadwood
10-15-2012, 11:03 PM
I don't do physics. I recently did a sermon at my church and made reference to a kind of time stoppage, when the universe seems to stand still as we "hear" God and said it was when the things that rotate around atoms, "photons and croutons"...oops.

But I have to say this guy got through to me, except for the 93 million miles part. Of course it is the exact distance needed to support our life form, duh!

But the how and why of that need answers and if it ain't God, let the atheist physicists give us a clear understanding beyond the fact of the "coincidence" that in all the millions and millions and millions of universes, and all the trillions and trillions and trillions of galaxies this simply happened.

But great OP, thanks

IGetItAlready
10-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Absolutely stunning Chris. I totally love this guy and especially his ability to explain the virtually inexplicable in terms the layman can wrap his head around.
Very cool!!

Chris
10-16-2012, 05:55 AM
From man on earth as center of the universe to the solar system, Milky Way on out to multiverses, this Earth is but a blink of an eye, I find it awesome and humbling.

Trinnity
10-16-2012, 06:37 AM
93 million miles indeed. Think about it. As the Earth tilts we get summer and winter - with just that tilt. What are the chances of a planet being just the right distance from it's star to promote and sustain life?

Well, in the scheme of things, actually it's pretty good. It's estimated there are at least a hundred billion galaxies in this universe. And how many stars on just our galaxy? Well, prolly about 200-400 billion. Yeah, that's some estimate huh....300 billion give or take a hundred billion, but never mind the latitude of the estimate.

Point is, by sheer numbers, life and even sentient life is out there and lots of it. We're simply unable to reach it and we're lost in the vastness of space. If aliens do visit this Earth or seeded it, they're most certainly from within our galaxy. Star Trek visions aside, space is so darn big, travel across it is and prolly will always be limited.