PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina and Florida Jockeying for Primary Spot

Conley
09-30-2011, 09:14 AM
COLUMBIA, SC - The South Carolina GOP did not announce its January primary date, as had been expected, at a press conference Thursday morning.

SC GOP Chairman Chad Connelly said he would hold out on making a final announcement about the date of the South Carolina Republican primary until Florida formalizes the date of its own primary. Connelly explained that he'd gotten indications from the Republican National Committee (RNC) that there's still a chance that Florida might change its date back to February, which would keep the existing schedule mostly intact.

Connelly's calculation is that, if he were to have announced a January date for his state's primary today, he would have been complicit in the violation of the rules for primary dates established by the RNC. He wants to hold out on declaring a final, drop-dead date until tomorrow, when Florida will announce the official date of its primary. (Florida's House speaker has indicated that a state legislative panel is likely to move its primary to Jan. 31.)

Connelly said Thursday that his intentions are to force Florida's hand.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/29/8036249-sc-gop-ramps-up-pressure-on-florida-to-keep-primary-calendar-intact

I hope Florida does move up. If just a handful of states are so vital to determining the nominee I'd rather it be the heavier populated ones than Iowa, S.C., N.H. The system needs to be reformed but for now it's all we've got.

MMC
09-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah I would too. That was great back when it started. They can jockey all they like. Either way were just stuck with Fruit of the Loom!!!!! :D ;D