PDA

View Full Version : Lots of outdoor time lately

donttread
12-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Thanks to mother nature. I'm 57 , live in snow central and don't even own a sno-blower nor a plow. We'll get a sno-blower for the wife to use if I'm away or sometimes where the plow dumps all the snow at the end of the driveway.
So, lots of shoveling the past couple weeks. This morning no new snow so I'm going to go out and push the snow banks back.

Common
12-10-2016, 09:02 AM
Dont read I worked outside in snow, sleet, bitter cold rain and heat and high humidity. Now ill take heat and humidity anyday over bitter cold and sleet and ice. Thats why I moved to florida

Actually when I moved I had spent a year deciding, I was looking at arizona, Las Vegas outskirts. My wife said hell no to las vegas and we both decided arizona was out.

donttread
12-11-2016, 06:27 AM
Dont read I worked outside in snow, sleet, bitter cold rain and heat and high humidity. Now ill take heat and humidity anyday over bitter cold and sleet and ice. Thats why I moved to florida

Actually when I moved I had spent a year deciding, I was looking at arizona, Las Vegas outskirts. My wife said hell no to las vegas and we both decided arizona was out.

I'm very cold tolerant, almost freakishly so, but tolerate heat pretty poorly. My wife doesn't tolerate either extreme well at this point in our lives. So our retirement plan, if it comes together , will be to keep the house here in NNY and buy a double wide near a golf course in Florida, somewhere north of Orlando possibly Ocala or Citris County. Then we'll spend 6 months or so in each place for as long as we can . I know many retired couples evetually have to choose because of health or finances and then I guess it would be Florida, but maybe even a bit further north. We'll avoid Jacksonville of course, what a hell hole. Those poor people that have to live there. Anyway, we've got at least 3 years to work and if they keep talking about stealing our SS maybe more.

waltky
12-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Kinda cold out now...

... Granny don't think...

... dat global warmin' is workin'.

donttread
12-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Kinda cold out now...

... Granny don't think...

... dat global warmin' is workin'.

It's working too slowly, I was born too early. In 50-100 years NNY winters might all be like last winter which was like one of our typical falls. I used as much aerosal as I could, but sadly it wasn't enough. However, my grandchildren may live long enough to benefit from the warming, so at least there is that.

Common
12-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm very cold tolerant, almost freakishly so, but tolerate heat pretty poorly. My wife doesn't tolerate either extreme well at this point in our lives. So our retirement plan, if it comes together , will be to keep the house here in NNY and buy a double wide near a golf course in Florida, somewhere north of Orlando possibly Ocala or Citris County. Then we'll spend 6 months or so in each place for as long as we can . I know many retired couples evetually have to choose because of health or finances and then I guess it would be Florida, but maybe even a bit further north. We'll avoid Jacksonville of course, what a hell hole. Those poor people that have to live there. Anyway, we've got at least 3 years to work and if they keep talking about stealing our SS maybe more.
Cold never bothered me, ice and sleet and driving in it all day sucked. I used to shovel snow alot of times in a Tshirt. I am totally cold intolerant after living in fla

donttread
12-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Cold never bothered me, ice and sleet and driving in it all day sucked. I used to shovel snow alot of times in a Tshirt. I am totally cold intolerant after living in fla

That's what they say. My cousin used to say "his blood thinned" after a while in Florida. LOL. I shoveled at almost 30 degrees today, started out with a fall jacket, a hat and gloves. Finished up with the hat and gloves in my pocket and the jacket unzipped and as open as I could get it. I resisted the tempation to take ot off because /I was quite sweaty and didn't want to catch a cold.

Mister D
12-12-2016, 08:22 PM
That's what they say. My cousin used to say "his blood thinned" after a while in Florida. LOL. I shoveled at almost 30 degrees today, started out with a fall jacket, a hat and gloves. Finished up with the hat and gloves in my pocket and the jacket unzipped and as open as I could get it. I resisted the tempation to take ot off because /I was quite sweaty and didn't want to catch a cold.
It's sweaty work. I usually wind up taking the hat and jacket off.

Common
12-12-2016, 08:32 PM
It's sweaty work. I usually wind up taking the hat and jacket off.

If I didnt have a whole lot, i would go out in a tshirt, didnt feel cold at all.
I had to clean two cars off and clear the d riveway and walkways.

Mister D
12-12-2016, 08:35 PM
If I didnt have a whole lot, i would go out in a tshirt, didnt feel cold at all.
I had to clean two cars off and clear the d riveway and walkways.
I have a quite a bit of area to shovel but I enjoy working outside. Still, when I first get out there I'm cold and sluggish. 9 times out of 10 I'm shoveling in the morning and that has a major impact. I'm not a morning guy.

Mister D
12-12-2016, 08:38 PM
When I run in the Winter I usually wear two layers. I usually warm up by after around 2.5 miles but when you first get out there it sucks. The gym has been great. I haven't missed a single workout due to weather since I joined. I still run outside once a week to keep my edge though. It's a lot fo fun in warmer months but it's hard to be so enthusiastic in the cold.

donttread
12-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Well yesterday I worked almost three hours, shoveling, roof raking and wading trough waste deep snow at about 6 degrees. Today I was out there for half that long but it was -15 or so. When I got up it was -24 and I said to myself I'd be waiting a bit befroe going out to shovel, start cars etc. More coming tomorrow though. No gym for me for a awhile.

resister
12-16-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks to mother nature. I'm 57 , live in snow central and don't even own a sno-blower nor a plow. We'll get a sno-blower for the wife to use if I'm away or sometimes where the plow dumps all the snow at the end of the driveway.
So, lots of shoveling the past couple weeks. This morning no new snow so I'm going to go out and push the snow banks back.Hurry up and move to Fl., I been digging fossils for the last week.Jethro move away from there

resister
12-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Well yesterday I worked almost three hours, shoveling, roof raking and wading trough waste deep snow at about 6 degrees. Today I was out there for half that long but it was -15 or so. When I got up it was -24 and I said to myself I'd be waiting a bit befroe going out to shovel, start cars etc. More coming tomorrow though. No gym for me for a awhile.
Up to 80 degrees here today.I spent the day in the river up to my knees.I shivered not once.Life is short,hurry up and move here:grin:

resister
12-16-2016, 10:14 PM
When I run in the Winter I usually wear two layers. I usually warm up by after around 2.5 miles but when you first get out there it sucks. The gym has been great. I haven't missed a single workout due to weather since I joined. I still run outside once a week to keep my edge though. It's a lot fo fun in warmer months but it's hard to be so enthusiastic in the cold.
My buddy from Indiana say's, smart Yankees , move to florida

donttread
12-17-2016, 06:43 PM
hurry up and move to fl., i been digging fossils for the last week.jethro move away from there

lol

Mister D
12-17-2016, 06:47 PM
No thanks. I visit my brother's family in the Baton Rouge area every Spring. When it's 80 in early April I start wondering what it's like in July. lol

donttread
12-18-2016, 08:26 AM

Do you use any specialized water wicking material for the inner layers ? Like under armour or hunting gear?

donttread
12-18-2016, 08:30 AM

Well we're not retired yet and have a "new round "of grandchildren. A nine month old and a "to be granson " in April when his brother , the next youngest turns 11. Preteens you can go a few weeks or months without seeing, especially with modern technology, but little ones change too fast.
It'll be a few years , but wintering in Florida is definitely our plan.

donttread
12-18-2016, 08:33 AM
So I've now shoveled 13 of the past 14 days. It didn't snow every day but when it didn't there were snow banks to push back and tiddying up what I didn't get the day before when there was a foot plus or snow and a roof to rake.
Not today though! I must say my strength, cardio and endurance have sky rocketed. But I know how fast all that can go away with inactivity at my age .

resister
12-18-2016, 08:35 AM
No thanks. I visit my brother's family in the Baton Rouge area every Spring. When it's 80 in early April I start wondering what it's like in July. lolI love a good 98 degree august day, but I am a native( a fl. rarity)

donttread
12-19-2016, 07:01 AM
I love a good 98 degree august day, but I am a native( a fl. rarity)

I thought native Floridians were just a myth?

resister
12-19-2016, 07:04 AM
I thought native Floridians were just a myth?
Nope,they tell me I was born in Ocala.I don't remember the event, though

donttread
12-19-2016, 07:05 AM
Well no snow today, but due to a 40 plus degree drop in temps yesterday I do have a frozen slush walkway and an icy driveway to deal with. I was thankful that last night when the wife and I got home from a day of X-mas shopping that neither of us fell carrying things in. Especially the glass items!
I'm just waiting for daylight and hoping it warms up to -10 by then.

resister
12-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Well no snow today, but due to a 40 plus degree drop in temps yesterday I do have a frozen slush walkway and an icy driveway to deal with. I was thankful that last night when the wife and I got home from a day of X-mas shopping that neither of us fell carrying things in. Especially the glass items!
I,m sitting here with my door open and my shirt off.Now, if I can figure out how to bottle this weather and sell it up north

donttread
12-20-2016, 05:44 AM
Nope,they tell me I was born in Ocala.I don't remember the event, though

It could be a ruse your parents played on you and your really from Michagan or NY or Canada like most Floridians. LOL

donttread
12-20-2016, 05:50 AM
I,m sitting here with my door open and my shirt off.Now, if I can figure out how to bottle this weather and sell it up north

If we could save some spring and fall cool, we could trade and we'd all be 75 all the time. Actually that would be a bit hot for me most days , we'll make iy 60-70 for up here.

donttread
12-20-2016, 05:52 AM

Well it hit -12 before I went out yesterday but ( and I know this is going to sound strange to most of you) it was a particularly cold -12 so I was back inside in 45 minutes and went back out later to finish up.

donttread
12-28-2016, 10:29 AM

More frozen driveways and walkways again the past couple of days. Traded my shovel in for an axe and some sand and salt.