PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Dishonesty

Chris
10-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Obama lies, Romney lies, the moderator lies, you lie!!

"The Truth About Dishonesty" and its personal, social, religious, political and economic implications...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XBmJay_qdNc

KC
10-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I really gotta get my hands on Ariely's "Honest Truth About Dishonesty"

Chris
10-18-2012, 08:30 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Honest-Truth-About-Dishonesty-Everyone-Especially/dp/0062183591 has another clip of Ariely talking about book.

KC
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
I first found out about Ariely and this book here:

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/dan_ariely_the_honest_truth_about_dishonesty/

He describes the experiment he did on this episode, which I thought was pretty ingenious.

Chris
10-18-2012, 08:52 PM
I'm generally leery of psychology, but his interest in what I would call the rationality of irrationality piqued my interest. Rationality of irrationality, how small rational choices lead to irrational behavior that can yet be explained rationally.

Calypso Jones
10-18-2012, 09:05 PM
i'm sorry....so what was the solution?

Chris
10-19-2012, 07:48 AM
i'm sorry....so what was the solution?

Solution?

What video gets into toward end is that we tend to lie a little and feel bad about it and that seems to constrain most but some lie more and more till they go over edge and figure what the hell might as well enjoy it. The solution suggested is page turning, giving them a chance to confess so to speak, Catholic confessional is used as analogy, and that that seems to get people back on track to just lying a little.

waltky
10-26-2016, 04:35 AM
Brains Can Get Desensitized To Dishonesty...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
Lying may be your brain's fault, honestly
October 25, 2016 • Telling small lies leads to telling bigger ones, study says

The lies start small and then they grow. We've all seen this, in news reports, among our friends and family, in ourselves. Understanding why people are dishonest is complicated. Theories about that have been the subject of psychology and sociology books. But could there be a biological component at play? New research that focused on a specific region in our brains suggests there is. "When we lie for personal gain, our amygdala produces a negative feeling that limits the extent to which we are prepared to lie," said Tali Sharot, an associate professor of cognitive neuroscience at University College London. "However, this response fades as we continue to lie, and the more it (fades) the bigger our lies become." A decreased amygdala response, in other words, may help explain the "slippery slope" of lying, said Sharot, one of the authors of "The Human Brain Adapts to Dishonesty," just published in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

When lying gets easier

The scientists involved in this research tapped Neurosynth, a platform that culls thousands of maps of brain activity, to identify parts of the brain associated with emotion. While the amygdala, located deep in our temporal lobes, wasn't the exclusive region highlighted, it predominated, researchers said. So when the neuroscientists set out to look at how the brain changes while lying, they focused on that region. A study was devised in which participants were partnered with someone else and then put into a brain-imaging scanner. They were shown images of a glass jar filled with pennies and asked to advise their partners (who had a blurry image) about the amount of money in the jar -- thereby establishing a baseline.

Without telling participants to be dishonest, the researchers switched incentives. In one approach, they incentivized them to lie by saying that if they got their partners to overestimate the amounts it would entitle the participant to a bigger cut of a financial reward. The researchers found that when dishonesty served the participants, they were more inclined to lie. The more they lied, the less their amygdala lit up. "If someone lies repeatedly, they no longer have an emotional response when they lie," explained Sharot. "In absence of an emotional response, they feel more comfortable and lie more." The concept, she said, isn't exclusive to emotions.

Consider this: A cold pool feels unbearable at first, and then you adapt. A woman drenched in the perfume she's worn for ages doesn't notice the smell, but strangers recoil. Gruesome photographs are less difficult to look at the second, third, fourth time around. Similarly, small lies can desensitize our brains to the negative feelings associated with lying, which opens the door to more significant lies. And the more often we're dishonest about something, the easier it is to continue being dishonest. Take, for instance, a person who cheats on their taxes, Sharot said. The first time, that person is likely to feel guilt-ridden, nervous or scared. Over time, the cheating gets a lot easier.

Another way to look at this (http://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/lying-may-be-your-brains-fault-honestly_)

stjames1_53
10-26-2016, 05:04 AM
lying also becomes easier if you don't pay the price for it

FindersKeepers
10-26-2016, 06:01 AM
It's a great video. The part about motivation affecting our rationalization of what is right or wrong was very interesting. He's a smart guy.

Thanks for sharing!