PDA

View Full Version : Was Awlaki an American?

Mister D
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Pat Buchanon

http://www.vdare.com/articles/was-awlaki-an-american

Friday morning, Predator drones operated by the CIA and Joint Special Operations Command rendezvoused over Yemen and launched Hellfire missiles that blew to pieces the radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.

A declared enemy in the war on terror was eliminated.

Yet Awlaki was a U.S. citizen.

Reps. Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul denounced the action. Kucinich said President Obama "trampled on the Constitution." Paul said Awlaki had never been convicted. "Nobody knows if he killed anybody." Paul described what was done as "assassinating" an American.

Did we have the right to target and kill Awlaki?

Conley
10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Good article.

My own belief is that saying he encouraged the Times Square bomber or the Fort Hood shooter is a little bit tenuous in making the case for his death. What is far more meaningful to me is that according to our intel he was actively involved in trying to take down the airliner in Detroit and was a high ranking member of Al Queda.

If we believe that someone can become an American, through citizenship and application, then by the same logic is it not also possible that someone could no longer be an American? I certainly think so, and it's absurd to think a terrorist would go through any kind of formal application to undo his citizenship even if such a process existed. Furthermore there is the issue of his dual citizenship with Yemen. But even in the absence of that I would still say he was no longer an American.

Mister D
10-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Good article.

My own belief is that saying he encouraged the Times Square bomber or the Fort Hood shooter is a little bit tenuous in making the case for his death. What is far more meaningful to me is that according to our intel he was actively involved in trying to take down the airliner in Detroit and was a high ranking member of Al Queda.

If we believe that someone can become an American, through citizenship and application, then by the same logic is it not also possible that someone could no longer be an American? I certainly think so, and it's absurd to think a terrorist would go through any kind of formal application to undo his citizenship even if such a process existed. Furthermore there is the issue of his dual citizenship with Yemen. But even in the absence of that I would still say he was no longer an American.

I don't think he ever was an American. Citizenship doesn't seem to mean much anymore but I understand he was legally a citizen. I agree with you. Seems like cityizenship is just a piece of paper these days. He breeched the contract.

Conley
10-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Just from reading about his history, I assume he was an American as a child. Obviously along the way he became radicalized. I couldn't say at what point he crossed the line from American to non-American, but by the time of his death he was way, way beyond it. Of that I am certain.

Conley
10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I would ask Mr. Paul and Kucinich what it would take - if it is at all possible - for someone to no longer be an American.

To me just being born in the country and having the citizenship is not enough if you are openly plotting its destruction.

Mister D
10-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Just from reading about his history, I assume he was an American as a child. Obviously along the way he became radicalized. I couldn't say at what point he crossed the line from American to non-American, but by the time of his death he was way, way beyond it. Of that I am certain.

Ah, that adds a twist. I didn't realize he was born here. Lord knows he doesn't look like it. Yeah, he's dead and frankly I'm not upset about it.

Mister D
10-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I would ask Mr. Paul and Kucinich what it would take - if it is at all possible - for someone to no longer be an American.

To me just being born in the country and having the citizenship is not enough if you are openly plotting its destruction.

And most sane people would agree with provided the evidence is clear.

Conley
10-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Ah, that adds a twist. I didn't realize he was born here. Lord knows he doesn't look like it. Yeah, he's dead and frankly I'm not upset about it.

Really ??? Don't you remember the whole thread about him? He lived somewhere in the Midwest until he 8 or so, went to a bunch of U.S. schools for college and grad school, etc. C'mon D. That oolong is rotting your brain! ;D The Chinese are sending you tainted goods. :o

Mister D
10-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Really ??? Don't you remember the whole thread about him? He lived somewhere in the Midwest until he 8 or so, went to a bunch of U.S. schools for college and grad school, etc. C'mon D. That oolong is rotting your brain! ;D The Chinese are sending you tainted goods. :o

Don't speak ill of my tea! >:( ;D I remember the college and grad school stuff but foreigners attending our schools is fairly common

Conley
10-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Jigga Wha?

http://politirant.com/the-latest-happenings/al-quida-cleric-al-awlaki-killed-in-yemen/msg14872/#msg14872

MMC
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah well Kucinich and whoever should look up the Word Traitor. Not only plotting to kill Americans but trying to also influence Americans. To turn on their Country and take the lives of their fellow citizens.

Should have came up with money rather than 72 Virgins. Punk-azz Sand Naggers! O.G. my azz! O0

Mister D
10-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah well Kucinich and whoever should look up the Word Traitor. Not only plotting to kill Americans but trying to also influence Americans. To turn on their Country and take the lives of their fellow citizens.

Should have came up with money rather than 72 Virgins. Punk-azz Sand Naggers! O.G. my azz! O0

Now if you had said that at PH you would have been thread banned. ;D

MMC
10-04-2011, 01:20 PM

"What" Wouldn't Nomads work? ;D >:D

Mister D
10-04-2011, 01:22 PM

That's more acceptable. ;D

MMC
10-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Should have came up with money rather than 72 virgins. Punk-azz Sand Nagger Nomads. O.G. my azz! O0 ;D

Mister D
10-04-2011, 01:32 PM

Should have came up with money rather than 72 virgins. Punk-azz Sand Nagger Nomads. O.G. my azz! O0 ;D

::) >:( ;D

Pendragon
10-04-2011, 04:21 PM
You conservatives can't have it both ways.

You want smaller government. You don't even trust them to spend taxes properly. However you are perfectly fine with a few indviduals in the Pentagon deciding who lives and who dies, even when it comes to American citizens. Make no mistake, this absolutely was an American citizen by law and the Constitution).

Absurd.

Mister D
10-04-2011, 05:22 PM

You want smaller government. You don't even trust them to spend taxes properly. However you are perfectly fine with a few indviduals in the Pentagon deciding who lives and who dies, even when it comes to American citizens. Make no mistake, this absolutely was an American citizen by law and the Constitution).

Absurd.

I agree. It is absurd that this man was (note tense ;)) an American citizen. Hopefully, we will do what can in the future to limit the growth of Muslim colonies in our midst. No sense in repeating Europe's grave error.

MMC
10-04-2011, 09:59 PM

Absurd.

But Pen.....it was this President that gave the go ahead. Not the Pentagon. Remember now, he is a Constitutional Attorney.

Conley
10-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Absurd.

But Pen.....it was this President that gave the go ahead. Not the Pentagon. Remember now, he is a Constitutional Attorney.

:roflmao:

MMC
10-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Problem is money talks and bullshit walks. So I am sure he would have found an attorney to represent him.

Moreover the chump stated he gave up his citizenship to the Country. He moved to a foreign country where he could actively engage in acts of Violence. Althought I am sure he can explain it away as some Religious Law. Then he influenced the Major at Fort Dix. When I say influence.....I mean he screwed up that guys head. Especially for him to open up on unarmed people.

He just didnt use water to do it. Guess the Promise of 72 Virgins and Allah martydom was enuff.