PDA

View Full Version : Down river sherrifs

resister
01-04-2017, 08:21 PM
I was down river digging fossils today. I was sitting on the bank, taking a break drinking beer. I hear an ATV coming my way. Here come two sherrifs my way, i'm cool with that.

They pump me for info about any recent activity on the river.I am on an easement(100 ft high water mark)I did not tell them about my pistol session yesterday.

Then they ask my full name and DOB. I coulda took issue, but pick your battles. It would appear minding your own business in the middle of nowhere now requires you to identify yourself. What say yall?

MisterVeritis
01-04-2017, 08:22 PM
I was down river digging fossils today. I was sitting on the bank, taking a break drinking beer. I hear an ATV coming my way. Here come two sherrifs my way, i'm cool with that.

They pump me for info about any recent activity on the river.I am on an easement(100 ft high water mark)I did not tell them about my pistol session yesterday.

Then they ask my full name and DOB. I coulda took issue, but pick your battles. It would appear minding your own business in the middle of nowhere now requires you to identify yourself. What say yall?
I see no harm in it.

resister
01-04-2017, 08:25 PM
I see no harm in it.
But why should I be required to id myself in a public place for no reason?

MisterVeritis
01-04-2017, 08:27 PM
I suppose you could have given them reasons to hang around you all the longer.

resister
01-04-2017, 08:31 PM
I suppose you could have given them reasons to hang around you all the longer.I chose to comply, they were not assholes and I chose to comply. I just don't understand why a cop can approach you on public land, minding your own bussines and make you ID yourself. (Show me your papers)

resister
01-04-2017, 08:55 PM
I suppose you could have given them reasons to hang around you all the longer.
They had zero reason to be around me to begin with. Why must I produce my papers? Maybe they should do this with illegals instead of natives?

MisterVeritis
01-04-2017, 08:58 PM
I chose to comply, they were not assholes and I chose to comply. I just don't understand why a cop can approach you on public land, minding your own bussines and make you ID yourself. (Show me your papers)
If it bothers you seek legal counsel. It has never bothered me.

resister
01-04-2017, 09:02 PM
If it bothers you seek legal counsel. It has never bothered me.
It does not bother me as I have jack to hide. But is not a bit disturbing in a "free country"? I guess I should be happy I was not shooting my pistol. But I could hear them 4 minutes off in the distance.

FindersKeepers
01-05-2017, 05:21 AM
I chose to comply, they were not assholes and I chose to comply. I just don't understand why a cop can approach you on public land, minding your own bussines and make you ID yourself. (Show me your papers)

They do it around here. But, that's all they can do if you're not breaking any sort of law. Sometimes, they're looking for someone associated with a crime. Back in June, a woman was killed in her rural home -- random killing, serial killer they think. Cut her up in pieces. For a month after that, everyone was questioned if they were out and about. For a week before the killing, a transient man -- all dressed in black with a backpack - was walking up and down beside the roadway. Sheriff and KBI were all over the place here. Asking questions.

Probably no harm in it as long as they don't harass you.

Crepitus
01-05-2017, 08:34 AM

At least they didn't wanna frisk you.

Standing Wolf
01-05-2017, 08:36 AM
They are required to identify, to the extent possible, pretty much anyone they talk to - just in case a report comes back an hour later reporting a crime by someone fitting your description, or they become aware of an arrest warrant with your name on it. You do have to tell them who you are, but you are ONLY required to show them a physical ID if you are accused or suspected of an offense. Even so, even if they're not prepared to accuse you of doing something, it's best to show them an ID if you have one on you - simply because if you tell them you don't have an ID on you and it later comes out that you do, you can be charged with lying to a cop.

resister
01-05-2017, 10:23 AM
They do it around here. But, that's all they can do if you're not breaking any sort of law. Sometimes, they're looking for someone associated with a crime. Back in June, a woman was killed in her rural home -- random killing, serial killer they think. Cut her up in pieces. For a month after that, everyone was questioned if they were out and about. For a week before the killing, a transient man -- all dressed in black with a backpack - was walking up and down beside the roadway. Sheriff and KBI were all over the place here. Asking questions.

Probably no harm in it as long as they don't harass you.
No, they were decent, so I returned it.

resister
01-05-2017, 10:25 AM
They are required to identify, to the extent possible, pretty much anyone they talk to - just in case a report comes back an hour later reporting a crime by someone fitting your description, or they become aware of an arrest warrant with your name on it. You do have to tell them who you are, but you are ONLY required to show them a physical ID if you are accused or suspected of an offense. Even so, even if they're not prepared to accuse you of doing something, it's best to show them an ID if you have one on you - simply because if you tell them you don't have an ID on you and it later comes out that you do, you can be charged with lying to a cop.I don't carry my id unless I expect to need it. If it does not leave the house, I can't lose it. It was a nightmare replacing it.

resister
01-05-2017, 10:27 AM
At least they didn't wanna frisk you.If a cop ask you, he has no legal right unless you give consent. I never give consent. When I was an inmate, I had to put up with it. I don't have to put up with it now and I won't.

Crepitus
01-05-2017, 10:37 AM
If a cop ask you, he has no legal right unless you give consent. I never give consent. When I was an inmate, I had to put up with it. I don't have to put up with it now and I won't.

Certain elements (like trump and pence) want to make "stop and frisk" standard police policy.

resister
01-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Certain elements (like trump and pence) want to make "stop and frisk" standard police policy.BOOO, thumbs down.

resister
01-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Certain elements (like trump and pence) want to make "stop and frisk" standard police policy.The courts struck that down as wholly unconstitutional, right?

Crepitus
01-05-2017, 11:17 AM
The courts struck that down as wholly unconstitutional, right?

Yes and no....

The process itself is constitutional, but the way new York police were employing it was not.

resister
01-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Yes and no....

The process itself is constitutional, but the way new York police were employing it was not.
Seems really counter to the 4th.

donttread
01-19-2017, 04:45 AM

I agree pick your battles. I believe you have a right to refuse to show ID but certainly you are under no obligation not to. Your call. I would produce the ID unless I was trying to make some particular point that day

donttread
01-19-2017, 04:48 AM

Key term "you chose to comply" nothing wrong with that.

donttread
01-19-2017, 04:52 AM
They are required to identify, to the extent possible, pretty much anyone they talk to - just in case a report comes back an hour later reporting a crime by someone fitting your description, or they become aware of an arrest warrant with your name on it. You do have to tell them who you are, but you are ONLY required to show them a physical ID if you are accused or suspected of an offense. Even so, even if they're not prepared to accuse you of doing something, it's best to show them an ID if you have one on you - simply because if you tell them you don't have an ID on you and it later comes out that you do, you can be charged with lying to a cop.

I thought it was only "illegal" to lie to a federal agent? So now you can't legal lie to a cop who can and will lie to you in a heartbeat? "Land of the fucking free alright!"

donttread
01-19-2017, 04:54 AM
Certain elements (like trump and pence) want to make "stop and frisk" standard police policy.
Sure blme Trump for a policy that started in "Ultra lib city". Having said that , if thy do ty to take it federal, civil disobdeidance time .

donttread
01-19-2017, 04:55 AM
Yes and no....

Which is code for "the Constitution doesn't matter here"

donttread
01-19-2017, 04:57 AM
Seems really counter to the 4th.

Odd how those simple straight forward written passages in the BOR's that a child could understand keep getting reinterpreted to say whatever the government wants them to say isn't it?

donttread
01-19-2017, 05:00 AM

"Pistol session"? D?id you have to brandish your weapon in self defence?

Crepitus
01-19-2017, 07:42 AM
Sure blme Trump for a policy that started in "Ultra lib city". Having said that , if thy do ty to take it federal, civil disobdeidance time .

I did not say they started it. I said they want to apply it nation wide.

Crepitus
01-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Which is code for "the Constitution doesn't matter here"

I'm awful tired you you dingbats telling me what I meant. Read what I posted, not what you wish I had posted.

Shady Slim
01-19-2017, 08:30 AM

You did say you were drinking a beer. Drinking in public . . .

They had every right.

donttread
01-19-2017, 07:28 PM
I'm awful tired you you dingbats telling me what I meant. Read what I posted, not what you wish I had posted.

You were talking about court ruling, or at least you appeared to be. I'm acussing them of the "code" nit you as I think suck things are above your pay grade

donttread
01-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Sorry , the second paragraph , in post 26 is mine, not Registers. I didn't see his post about the "pistol session" the day before.

resister
01-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Oh I don't mind, I have lived here 6 years, this is the first time I have seen cops downriver

resister
01-19-2017, 07:36 PM
You did say you were drinking a beer. Drinking in public . . .

They had every right.
Slim, I was way down yonder.

donttread
01-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Any further "Barney sigtings ?"

AZ Jim
01-24-2017, 03:45 PM
I don't carry my id unless I expect to need it. If it does not leave the house, I can't lose it. It was a nightmare replacing it.Do you drive? Drivers license is required to be in your possession when you do. That's all the sheriff wanted was an ID. No biggie. You are required to ID yourself to law enforcement if asked.

Cletus
01-24-2017, 04:05 PM

State laws vary quite a bit on that. In some states, it is a criminal offense to refuse to provide proof of identity when requested by an LEO. In other states, they can't demand to see identification unless you are engaged in licensed activity, like driving or hunting.

Cletus
01-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Do you drive? Drivers license is required to be in your possession when you do. That's all the sheriff wanted was an ID. No biggie. You are required to ID yourself to law enforcement if asked.

Only sometimes.

Standing Wolf
01-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Do you drive? Drivers license is required to be in your possession when you do. That's all the sheriff wanted was an ID. No biggie. You are required to ID yourself to law enforcement if asked.

Identifying yourself and showing a physical ID are not the same thing.