PDA

View Full Version : Muslim woman removed from plane to sue Southwest

Conley
10-06-2011, 03:41 PM
A Muslim woman who was removed from a Southwest Airlines flight in San Diego in March is filing suit against the airline, it was to be announced Thursday.

Irum Abbasi, a San Diego resident was en route to school in San Jose when she was asked to leave the airplane. A flight attendant apparently mistakenly heard Abbasi's cell phone conversation as "It's a go" rather than "I've got to go," which is what Abbasi, who wears a traditional head scarf, claims to have said.

While she was quickly cleared for the same flight, the crew reportedly expressed discomfort and she was asked to take a later plane.

Southwest sent several apologies to Abassi and a voucher good for a free flight.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/06/muslim-woman-rmoved-flight-sue-southwest/

I can't say for sure what I would do in her situation, but I don't think I would sue. I'd chalk it up to a mistake, take my free voucher and move on with my life. I wonder how much she's asking for and if she's claiming damages. It's her right and this is the land of the sue-happy but it I don't see it as that big of a deal.

Mister D
10-06-2011, 04:44 PM
It's a shame people are so frightened of Muslims. But there is a reason to be.

Conley
10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I should say I think the airline was clearly in the wrong here.

Mister D
10-06-2011, 05:31 PM

I'm going to reserve judgment for now.

Conley
10-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Well I am basing it on the facts in the article, and that they gave her a voucher after the fact. However I admit it's possible the article is misrepresenting what happened.

Mister D
10-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Well I am basing it on the facts in the article, and that they gave her a voucher after the fact. However I admit it's possible the article is misrepresenting what happened.

I wouldn't assume that the voucher is evidence that the airline knows it's wrong. Maybe they just want to end this without further ado. That happens a lot.

Conley
10-06-2011, 06:10 PM
"Southwest sent several apologies to Abassi and a voucher good for a free flight."

If they didn't do anything wrong they should not have kept apologizing, IMO.

spunkloaf
10-06-2011, 06:34 PM

A reason maybe. But not an excuse.

Mister D
10-06-2011, 06:40 PM
"Southwest sent several apologies to Abassi and a voucher good for a free flight."

Seems like a typical corporate response to me.

Conley
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM

How do you differentiate?

Conley
10-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Did Lending Tree apologize repeatedly to you and offer a significantly discounted loan even though they didn't believe they were in the wrong? ;)

Mister D
10-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Did Lending Tree apologize repeatedly to you and offer a significantly discounted loan even though they didn't believe they were in the wrong? ;)

They didn't do anything to me that I had legal recourse to recompense. They just wasted my time and made me look like a fn jerk.

spunkloaf
10-06-2011, 07:07 PM

How do you differentiate?

Reason is explanation. Excuse is justification.

Conley
10-06-2011, 07:08 PM

They didn't do anything to me that I had legal recourse to recompense. They just wasted my time and made me look like a fn jerk.

There you have it. That is the typical corporate response right there.