PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Windows 8

waltky
10-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Microsoft buildin' a better mousetrap...
:wink:
Windows 8 and the Surface tablets: The experts weigh in
24 October 2012 - Windows 8 has prompted the launch of hybrid computers which can function as a standalone tablet or be connected to a keyboard to act as a touch-enabled laptop

Windows 8 marks what is arguably the most radical tech launch of the year. Microsoft aims to leapfrog the competition by offering a touch-based, dynamic, futuristic-looking interface which can run on processors designed for both high-spec computers, and chips more commonly associated with smartphones. Its market-leading status is at stake. More than 1.5 billion devices currently use a version of Windows, making it by far the most installed operating system, according to tech research firm Gartner.

But investors are more concerned about the firm's growth prospects amidst growing competition for customers' cash. "We think the industry changed with the iPad launch because the tablet is effectively a PC - it doesn't need to be connected to a network to work and runs third-party applications," Steve Brazier, chief executive of research firm Canalys, says. "Once you segment the market that way, Windows share of the global PC market has fallen to 72%. Three years ago that would have been over 95%. "If you add the PC market together to the smartphone market - which we call the intelligent device sector - Windows share falls to 32%."

Windows 8 and its close relation Windows Phone 8 are designed to reverse that trend. One thing is certain: Microsoft's efforts will have industry-wide ramifications. A study by Gartner indicates worldwide PC shipments were 8.3% lower than the previous year in the July-to-September quarter. That spells trouble for companies including HP, Dell and Acer which have seen sales decline as a consequence. A successful launch might recharge demand, but first they must face the prospect of a challenge from Microsoft's own tablet, Surface. The BBC asked a selection of industry experts for their views of Microsoft's new products:

SINK OR SWIM (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20044887)

roadmaster
10-24-2012, 11:26 PM
I hate to upgrade until all the kinks are addressed.

Kizzume
10-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Windows 8's METRO interface and start screen is either going to be a big hit, which I doubt, or it's going to be a complete disaster for Microsoft, at least for desktop machines.

roadmaster
10-24-2012, 11:38 PM
The last one was a disaster for my desktop.

Chris
10-25-2012, 08:52 AM
7 was decent, it was Vista that was a bloated pig.

8 is only $39 something download: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_Home_FPP_Null

Some explanations: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx, http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57505867-292/upgrading-to-windows-8-what-you-need-to-know-faq/

coolwalker
10-25-2012, 09:01 AM
It's cheap because navigating it sucks. I have used it. Where I work we were all tained on it. What a giant pain in the ass it is. Now of course tablet people will like it after they spend 3 or 4 days figuring it out, but the average person will be lost.

Deadwood
10-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Windows 8's METRO interface and start screen is either going to be a big hit, which I doubt, or it's going to be a complete disaster for Microsoft, at least for desktop machines.

I agree.
7 is hitting headwinds because its so different than previous apps. And 8, it is said is even worse.

Cigar
10-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Window 8 employes features mostly for Phones.

Bane
10-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I still run XP at home. Today at work, we installed 7. Dont know if I like it yet.

garyo
10-25-2012, 12:17 PM
been using 7 about a year and am very comfortable with it

Conley
10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
I still run XP at home. Today at work, we installed 7. Dont know if I like it yet.

This is the way to do it. XP was great, 7 is awesome now...Vista was best skipped. I'm not touching 8...maybe if I had a tablet or something but not on a regular PC. 7 does everything I need (not much - just don't crash :laugh:)and it's rock solid.

Peter1469
10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
I won't be upgrading soon. I just got a netbook and a desk top that run Windows 7. I am very happy with it. I will probably keep Windows 7 until I replace these machines. Years from now.

Captain Obvious
10-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Vista was a disaster and 7 was basically warmed over Vista.

Microsoft is leading the backwards charge. Operating systems are no longer useful and productive, they're cumbersome and problematic.

I have no doubt 8 will be a complete clusterfuck.

waltky
10-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Win8 has higher resource demand...
:huh:
Windows 8 demand higher than Win 7's, says Microsoft's Ballmer
29 Oct.`12 - Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has a rosy outlook for their new Windows 8 operating system, saying Monday that "we're seeing preliminary demand well above where we were with Windows 7." But other measures indicate that this statement may be somewhat misleading.

Ballmer was speaking at a San Francisco event where Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 hardware were being showcased. Windows 8 itself officially launched last Friday, but has been available in preview form for more than a year. Comparing the new OS to its predecessor is natural, but could Windows 8, which has been intensely polarizing in the tech community, really be more in demand than the incredibly popular Windows 7, which famously fixed what Windows Vista had broken?

To find out, I spoke with Jay Chou, senior research analyst at IDC's Worldwide PC Tracker. While he cautioned that Ballmer may be privy to some statistics not yet publicized, Chou suggested that Windows 8 probably isn't going to move PCs the way Windows 7 did — but that this has as much to do with the broader PC market as it does with the desirability of the OS. "Our outlook on Windows 8 is that it will bring somewhat of a boost on the consumer side, but really, its full impact won't be felt till much later. We don't see it as a significant factor that will help the hardware business to recover."

He compared the circumstances of the release to those in 2009, when Windows 7 launched. At the time, millions of consumers and businesses were waiting eagerly for a chance to upgrade, having skipped the poorly received Windows Vista. Not only that, but netbooks were still selling at high rates, and Windows 7 was a great fit for that type of PC. Windows 7, in other words, arrived just when people wanted to buy into both new hardware and a new operating system.

Now, however, the economy has slowed PC shipments, tablets have replaced netbooks as the best option for casual computing, and for many people, the upgrade to Windows 7 is still fresh in their minds. Furthermore, Windows 8 isn't a cheap upgrade: "Cost is a factor," said Chou. "To really take advantage of Windows 8, you need the hardware, the touch capability. You might have to upgrade your mouse or get a multi-touch trackpad."

MORE (http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/windows-8-demand-higher-win-7s-says-microsofts-ballmer-1C6746434)

Captain Obvious
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Right.

So we need more powerful computers to run these operating systems that are "more secure", until hackers figure away around the new security measures and start hacking it. Then they get upgraded with new security, which requires more resources, and when hackers figure the upgrade out...

All the while shit that used to be a breeze to do becomes increasingly impossible to do.

The golden age of computing is over.

roadmaster
10-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Right.

So we need more powerful computers to run these operating systems that are "more secure", until hackers figure away around the new security measures and start hacking it. Then they get upgraded with new security, which requires more resources, and when hackers figure the upgrade out...

All the while shit that used to be a breeze to do becomes increasingly impossible to do.

The golden age of computing is over.

Well I will let you know, my husband was given a new one with it already on it. Haven't tried it out yet, mine is old. I hate to learn anything new on computers.

roadmaster
11-03-2012, 01:05 AM
So far I haven't seen any major problems like 7. Used it for about an hour today.

Conley
11-03-2012, 01:06 AM
So far I haven't seen any major problems like 7. Used it for about an hour today.

Are you using a tablet / touchscreen or a regular PC?

roadmaster
11-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Are you using a tablet / touchscreen or a regular PC?

Regular PC. but you can touch the icons on his big screen instead of clicking them. I hope that makes sense. I am not computer savvy and I had no problems.

roadmaster
11-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Well I am having to use it today and getting a headache. Playing on it was one thing but actually having to work on one, I can't find things. This one is suppose to be faster than my old one but I don't see it yet. He has pro on his. Mine was set up perfect and yes it was old but worked like a charm.

Chris
11-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Went out and bought a Lenovo Yoga Ultrabook with Windows 8. It can be run as a PC or a tablet just by flipping the monitor around.

While I'm learning the new Modern "Metro" Desktop, I'm using the traditional Desktop. See here for how: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/07/win8-howto-1-switch-between-metro-ui-and-desktop.aspx