PDA

View Full Version : Retiring from Moderation

Dr. Who
02-28-2017, 08:03 PM
When I started this gig back in 2013 I didn't really think I'd still be doing it almost four years later. As you know I've been the night mod, which was great, given that I work during the day, but it's a time commitment that's getting harder to maintain. Sometimes I just want to call my time my own. So I've decided to retire and just enjoy the forum without having to enforce the rules. For those who are interested, there is an opening on the night shift. :smiley:

Cheers,

Dr. Who

resister
02-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Thank you for your time, your insight will be missed! :embarrassed:

Captain Obvious
02-28-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Who, thanks for everything you've done.

I know it's a thankless job sometimes, it takes a lot of patience and humility.

resister
02-28-2017, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Who, thanks for everything you've done.

I know it's a thankless job sometimes, it takes a lot of patience and humility.I nominate CO for mod!!!

Peter1469
02-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Thanks for serving.

hanger4
02-28-2017, 08:20 PM
RIP Dr Who da MOD.

Long live our newest member Dr Who

Green Arrow
02-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Your presence on the mod team will be missed, for sure.

Tricia
02-28-2017, 08:24 PM
You will be missed Dr. Who. Thank you for all you've done, you did a great job.

resister
02-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Don't be a stranger!

KathyS
02-28-2017, 08:41 PM
I haven't been here for very long, but I found you to be a fair moderator. Welcome to the rank & file :smiley:

Casper
02-28-2017, 09:17 PM
When I started this gig back in 2013 I didn't really think I'd still be doing it almost four years later. As you know I've been the night mod, which was great, given that I work during the day, but it's a time commitment that's getting harder to maintain. Sometimes I just want to call my time my own. So I've decided to retire and just enjoy the forum without having to enforce the rules. For those who are interested, there is an opening on the night shift. :smiley:

Cheers,

Dr. Who

Very sorry to hear that. In my Opinion you have done an excellent job, hopefully that does not mean you will not be adding your voice to the various topics, now that would be a major lose.
Kodos on a job Well Done.
Casper

Don
02-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Sorry to see you go. Retiring is better than getting fired or term limited out of office. :wink: I wouldn't take the job even if it was a well paid position with great benefits and 6 weeks a year paid vacation.

Maybe the admin could start picking mods the same way we pick political positions. All the candidates could declare republican or democrat and lay out their positions. Go through the primaries with the winners facing each other. Have a general election (sorry the electoral system can't work here) with members with at least 100 posts voting. Have the people from the other political forum count the votes and give the results to the admin here. Then the admin here could say "what, are you crazy? I'm never going to pick a moderator with a system like that!" Then we can argue about it for a few days til something else captures our attention.:smiley:

Cletus
02-28-2017, 10:56 PM
Hopefully, whoever takes the slot will follow your model and not emulate some of the others.

You conducted yourself as a mod should. The forum was better for that.

Bethere
02-28-2017, 11:26 PM
Sorry to see you go. Retiring is better than getting fired or term limited out of office. :wink: I wouldn't take the job even if it was a well paid position with great benefits and 6 weeks a year paid vacation.

Maybe the admin could start picking mods the same way we pick political positions. All the candidates could declare republican or democrat and lay out their positions. Go through the primaries with the winners facing each other. Have a general election (sorry the electoral system can't work here) with members with at least 100 posts voting. Have the people from the other political forum count the votes and give the results to the admin here. Then the admin here could say "what, are you crazy? I'm never going to pick a moderator with a system like that!" Then we can argue about it for a few days til something else captures our attention.:smiley:

It won't happen that way. You, nor I, get any say in the matter.

The Xl
02-28-2017, 11:39 PM
You always did a fantastic job. No bias and level headed. The mod team will miss you I'm sure, hopefully the replacement mod is half as capable.

Captain Obvious
02-28-2017, 11:39 PM
Hopefully, whoever takes the slot will follow your model and not emulate some of the others.

You conducted yourself as a mod should. The forum was better for that.

Coming from a hard righty that says a lot. @Dr. Who (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=612) , you will be missed in this role.

Captain Obvious
02-28-2017, 11:40 PM
It won't happen that way. You, nor I, get any say in the matter.

Don should, or could. He has objectivity and common sense.

He could be a good VIP candidate.

Bethere
02-28-2017, 11:54 PM
Don should, or could. He has objectivity and common sense.

He could be a good VIP candidate.

I keep getting told how this forum is over run by democrats. There ought to be at least one democratic mod.

Don has 45k points in five years of membership. Vips and mods should actually be people who actively post here.

Green Arrow
02-28-2017, 11:57 PM
I keep getting told how this forum is over run by democrats. There ought to be at least one democratic mod.

Don has 45kpoints. Vips and mods should actually be people who actively post here.

Nearly all of our VIPs actively post here. The ones that don't do so because of personal issues and that's perfectly fine.

Hal Jordan
03-01-2017, 12:01 AM
Who, I know I've praised how you've done in PMs, but let me say this on the open forum. You have done a terrific job as a mod and anyone who comes in after you has some big shoes to fill.

Captain Obvious
03-01-2017, 12:01 AM

I don't disagree.

Looking at the remaining mod makeup, Addy is a moderate (leans left and right but maybe more left), Polwatch is the same, leans both ways but maybe more left although she's not very active lately for good reasons, Ravens Fan is strong right, Chris is right leaning but more libertarian/independent leaning. Did I miss someone? I don't think so.

So to offset Ravens Fan I'd say the next mod should be left leaning.

Looking at the available VIP's, I would nominate (if it was worth the bandwidth typed on) would be either Common Sense or nic34 .

Common Sense would be the better of the two IMO because he's here more often. Hal Jordan would make a great mod if he were here more often, and he's here late but he's kind of moderate.

I'm excluding the members who have been mods too btw.

Hal Jordan
03-01-2017, 12:03 AM

Don has 45k points in five years of membership. Vips and mods should actually be people who actively post here.

I can't say that the forum is overrun by either side, but that's really a topic for another thread, imo.

Bethere
03-01-2017, 12:04 AM
Nearly all of our VIPs actively post here. The ones that don't do so because of personal issues and that's perfectly fine.
That's your opinion. You are entitled to it. Thanks for sharing.

Green Arrow
03-01-2017, 12:05 AM
That's your opinion. You are entitled to it. Thanks for sharing.

It's not an opinion, activity is a measurable variable.

resister
03-01-2017, 12:07 AM
I don't disagree.

Looking at the remaining mod makeup, Addy is a moderate (leans left and right but maybe more left), Polwatch is the same, leans both ways but maybe more left although she's not very active lately for good reasons, Ravens Fan is strong right, Chris is right leaning but more libertarian/independent leaning. Did I miss someone? I don't think so.

Looking at the available VIP's, I would nominate (if it was worth the bandwidth typed on) would be either @Common Sense (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1085) or @nic34 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=572) .

Common Sense would be the better of the two IMO because he's here more often. @Hal Jordan (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=994) would make a great mod if he were here more often, and he's here late but he's kind of moderate.

Resister! Just kidding, I dig fossils and work to much, I agree with your choices though!

Bethere
03-01-2017, 12:08 AM
It's not an opinion, activity is a measurable variable.

I suggest, therefore, you do your homework and look at their numbers. Make sure you divide by years as a member.

Green Arrow
03-01-2017, 12:08 AM
I suggest, theefore, you do your homework and look at their numbers.

I have.

Dr. Who
03-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Who, I know I've praised how you've done in PMs, but let me say this on the open forum. You have done a terrific job as a mod and anyone who comes in after you has some big shoes to fill.
Aw, now you are making me cry. I really appreciate your kindness. Thank you so very much.

Captain Obvious
03-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Resister! Just kidding, I dig fossils and work to much, I agree with your choices though!

I saw your earlier nomination of me, thanks btw.

I did my tour of duty in this role here, it sucks, I don't have the patience or will at this point and I'm too polarizing lately.

Someone more unifying than me needs to be in there.

Captain Obvious
03-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Aw, now you are making me cry. I really appreciate your kindness. Thank you so very much.

Meh... we've already forgotten about you and are penciling in your replacement.

:biglaugh:

Hal Jordan
03-01-2017, 12:16 AM
I don't disagree.

Looking at the available VIP's, I would nominate (if it was worth the bandwidth typed on) would be either @Common Sense (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1085) or @nic34 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=572) .

Common Sense would be the better of the two IMO because he's here more often. @Hal Jordan (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=994) would make a great mod if he were here more often, and he's here late but he's kind of moderate.

Regarding the comments about me, let me firsst say thank you for that. I do want to say that I was away for a while, but I am back to it now, and even when I'm not posting, I'm keeping a close eye on the forum. I would like to think that I've been pretty fair to both sides, though. (If anyone disagrees with that, feel free to PM me about that, because I'm not the focus of this thread)

Captain Obvious
03-01-2017, 12:19 AM
Regarding the comments about me, let me firsst say thank you for that. I do want to say that I was away for a while, but I am back to it now, and even when I'm not posting, I'm keeping a close eye on the forum. I would like to think that I've been pretty fair to both sides, though. (If anyone disagrees with that, feel free to PM me about that, because I'm not the focus of this thread)

I think you would be great. You're level-headed and you're here, at odd hours also. I'm pacific time and I see you here when everyone's gone to bed.

The only setback is that you are moderate and given the current mix that would make the mod team tilting right a bit I think.

I don't give a shit about that, modding isn't about your political viewpoint, it's about herding the cats in a fair and reasonable way.

Cletus
03-01-2017, 12:20 AM
I don't think the political leaning of a mod is particularly relevant. What matters is his or her ability to look objectively at a post and determine if there has been a rules violation, then choose a corrective action that won't kill the discussion. They need to be able to keep their egos and personal feelings about posters out of the moderation process. Who did a good job of that. Not everyone can or even tries.

Captain Obvious
03-01-2017, 12:21 AM
I don't think the political leaning of a mod is particularly relevant. What matters is his or her ability to look objectively at a post and determine if there has been a rules violation, then choose a corrective action that won't kill the discussion. They need to be able to keep their egos and personal feelings about posters out of the moderation process. Who did a good job of that. Not everyone can or even tries.

You should be a VIP too, btw.

Just my opinion.

resister
03-01-2017, 12:24 AM
You should be a VIP too, btw.

Just my opinion.Or a mod!

resister
03-01-2017, 12:25 AM
Exotix? LOL..going for a laugh here!

Hal Jordan
03-01-2017, 12:28 AM

You're very welcome, and while the next mod will have a lot to live up to, at least I will still be able to look forward to your posts (even if we disagree on the subject).

Hal Jordan
03-01-2017, 12:31 AM
I honestly agree with this. Moderation must attempt to be objective.

Green Arrow
03-01-2017, 01:04 AM
I just did one. This person averages 4 posts a day.

Which person?

Bethere
03-01-2017, 01:11 AM
Which person?

I encourage you to do the math. Thank you for your consideration.

I'm going to miss Dr. Who. She has been very fair to me, personally. I hope she considers bethere to be a friend.

Common
03-01-2017, 01:14 AM
Youre a class act Dr Who and it will be quite difficult to replace you but the good thing is you will still be with us on the forum :) You did a great Job Doc

Green Arrow
03-01-2017, 01:24 AM
I encourage you to do the math. Thank you for your consideration.

I'm going to miss Dr. Who. She has been very fair to me, personally. I hope she considers bethere to be a friend.

Nice dodge. It's been noted.

Evmetro
03-01-2017, 01:53 AM

Cheers,

Dr. Who

We may be from the opposite sides of politics, but I respected you as a mod more than any of the others. The merits of your posts had far more influence on me than the power hungry mods waving a big badge in my face, which means your status change makes no difference to me. Even as a non mod, and on the opposite side of the aisle at that, you can have more influence on my posts than anybody waving the big badge. You will still command the same respect from me.

ADMIN
03-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Thank you for your years of service Dr. Who. Your presence on the mod team will be sorely missed. Enjoy your retirement!

MMC
03-01-2017, 08:08 AM

Cheers,

Dr. Who

Thanks for your time and the Best of You, Doc!

Truly, one of the good guys!

NapRover
03-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Neither a RWNJ or a LWNJ! What's it like to be a moderate?

FindersKeepers
03-01-2017, 11:28 AM
You've been a remarkably good moderator, Dr. Who, and it will also be nice to hear from you as just another poster. So glad you dedicated so much time to the cause.

AZ Jim
03-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Doc, you were always fair. My fav mod. Thanks for serving. I'll miss your even handed peace keeping.

Standing Wolf
03-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Please don't go away completely, Doc. There are times when you and a couple of others are all that prevent me from giving up on this forum all together.

Evmetro
03-01-2017, 12:02 PM
You've been a remarkably good moderator, Dr. Who, and it will also be nice to hear from you as just another poster. So glad you dedicated so much time to the cause.

You are correct on the remarkably good mod. I am probably one of the most controversial posters here, and have had friction with almost every mod on every political forum, and Dr Who is the only one I have ever encountered who could moderate via the merits of their posts instead of their big badge. Hopefully the replacement will have some of these qualities.

nic34
03-01-2017, 01:07 PM

You are right. (correct)

Last of the good guys were KC, Bladimz and Conley.