PDA

View Full Version : West Point cadet charged, two others referred to courts-martial on drug charges

Peter1469
03-02-2017, 02:17 PM
West Point cadet charged, two others referred to courts-martial on drug charges (http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2017/March/01/Cadets_arr-01Mar17.htm)

What would not raise eyebrows at most universities may get this guy serious prison time.

A member of the Class of 2017 at the US Military Academy was charged on Tuesday with drug-related offenses while two others have been referred to courts-martial proceedings.

Cadet Ammon Tuimaunei is charged with five violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice Article 112a – wrongful possession and wrongful distribution of the controlled substances cocaine and oxycodone, and two violations of Article 81 – conspiracy with intent to distribute cocaine and oxycodone.

Tuimaunei is currently an active cadet pending a hearing.

MisterVeritis
03-02-2017, 02:56 PM
They need to get with Ethereal and others here. I am sure the cadets were just nullifying federal drug laws.

Don
03-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Intent to distribute is the key here. When I was in the Navy drug offenses could get anything from a Captains Mast to a special court martial. Discharges could be anything from dishonorable to bad conduct or undesirable to general under honorable conditions depending on the severity of the crime. It also mattered where you were. I heard that the western part of the USN command would hand out bad conduct but for the same charges on the Eastern part of USN command you would get a general under honorable conditions.

Another thing here is the high honor code the academies have and I think for good reason. These are the people who will run the military and should set an extraordinary example for those they will command. If we have people in there who are just gangsters that is disturbing.