PDA

View Full Version : tPF Rand Paul still searching for Obamacare replacement bill

Green Arrow
03-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) had previously walked into a room on the House of Representatives side of the Capitol where the Energy and Commerce Committee was were supposed to be meeting to review the current draft of their bill, but an aide told him there was no bill to see. Other members of Congress privvy to the alleged replacement bill are refusing to give Sen. Paul and any other interested senator access to the bill.

To paraphrase Sen. Paul, this isn't how democracies are supposed to work.

Via CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/03/politics/rand-paul-obamacare-bill-search-cnntv/index.html):

Washington (CNN)Following a chaotic day attempting to locate a copy of the House GOP's Obamacare replacement bill, Sen. Rand Paul, said Friday he's still on the hunt."When we heard it was secret, we wanted to see it even more," the Kentucky Republican told CNN's Kate Boldaun in an interview, noting, "As we speak, my staff is still going around Washington looking for the bill."

In the interview on CNN's "At This Hour," Paul said he thinks there is still "a lot of Obamacare lite in their bill," which he described as elements like an individual mandate and a so-called Cadillac tax that would levy steep taxes on health plans considered generous. This, he said, could also be the reason for the secrecy.

When pressed on whether he has talked to House leadership about getting a copy of the bill, Paul declined to comment on specific conversations.

"I think everybody knows I want to see the bill and that I think they've had a PR disaster by putting it under lock and key and trying to keep it out of the view of legislators and the public," Paul said.

Thursday, Paul tried to track down a copy of the draft, but he said he was denied access to a room when aides inside told the senator there wasn't a bill to see. At one point, a GOP staff member allowed House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, of Maryland, Massachusetts Rep. Joe Kennedy and a dozen or so reporters into the room to inspect it themselves to see that it was, in fact, bill-less.

Cletus
03-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Actually, it is exactly the way our system of government is supposed to work.

Rand will get the bill when the House presents it to the Senate. Until then, it is none of his business.

Safety
03-03-2017, 01:49 PM
I guess he gets to know what's in it after it passes. Sounds so...2013....

decedent
03-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Rand will get the bill when the House presents it to the Senate. Until then, it is none of his business.

It has to be passed before we know what's in it.

Cletus
03-03-2017, 01:53 PM
I guess he gets to know what's in it after it passes. Sounds so...2013....

Are you really going to jump on the stupid train, too?

There is no similarity between this and Pelosi's comments and actions.

Cletus
03-03-2017, 01:54 PM
It has to be passed before we know what's in it.

That is the response I expected from you.

Captain Obvious
03-03-2017, 02:04 PM
There isn't one

Green Arrow
03-03-2017, 02:05 PM

Really? Do point out where the founders of this country wrote that the House should keep bills under lock and key from senators.

Sen. Paul - and any other senator - should be able to view the bill when he pleases so he can best determine how to represent his constituents.

Green Arrow
03-03-2017, 02:06 PM
There isn't one

That certainly seems to be the case.

Cletus
03-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Really? Do point out where the founders of this country wrote that the House should keep bills under lock and key from senators.

You might want to take a look at Article I, Section 7. When the House completes their action on the bill, it will be forwarded to the Senate for their consideration.

Sen. Paul - and any other senator - should be able to view the bill when he pleases so he can best determine how to represent his constituents.

He will have plenty of time to study it when the House presents it to the Senate.

Chloe
03-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Are you really going to jump on the stupid train, too?

There is no similarity between this and Pelosi's comments and actions.
Dont be an ass. The reason Paul is upset is because he can see the writing on the wall that Obamacare isn't going to be repealed but just most likely modified and because of that the administration doesn't want it leaked or exposed. The fact that they won't let a US senator see what's in the bill until it's done says a lot. I don't agree with repealing healthcare for people but by not letting lawmakers review it before it's done isn't going to help sway conservatives over to a modified version of Obamacare. I'm for universal healthcare and even I can see what's going on and why Paul is upset. They are supposed to repeal it, not adjust it, remember?

Chris
03-03-2017, 02:30 PM
General warning: Keep it civil and refrain from referring to each other's level of intelligence - or lack thereof

Cletus
03-03-2017, 02:34 PM
Dont be an ass.

Study the way our system is intended to operate.

The reason Paul is upset is because he can see the writing on the wall that Obamacare isn't going to be repealed but just most likely modified and because of that the administration doesn't want it leaked or exposed. The fact that they won't let a US senator see what's in the bill until it's done says a lot.

Yeah, it says the bill is the business of the House until it is presented to the Senate. Congress is a bicameral body. Each chamber has its own duties and responsibilities. It is not the place of a Senator to demand to see what the House is contemplating for legislation. Senator Paul is out of bounds and it is good that House is putting him in his place. When the bill is ready, the House will present it to the Senate. Paul will have plenty of time to study the bill to his heart's content when that happens. Until then, he needs to stay out of the business of the House.

I don't agree with repealing healthcare for people but by not letting lawmakers review it before it's done isn't going to help sway conservatives over to a modified version of Obamacare. I'm for universal healthcare and even I can see what's going on and why Paul is upset. They are supposed to repeal it, not adjust it, remember?

What they decide to do with it is up to them. If the Senate doesn't like, they can vote against it and send it back to the House for revision.

Green Arrow
03-03-2017, 03:12 PM
You might want to take a look at Article I, Section 7. When the House completes their action on the bill, it will be forwarded to the Senate for their consideration.
He will have plenty of time to study it when the House presents it to the Senate.

Nowhere in Article 1 Section 7 does it say the House may keep bills secret from senators until it passes the House.

There is zero logical reason why the House should keep a bill from a sitting senator, particularly a senator of the same party as controls the House.

Cletus
03-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Nowhere in Article 1 Section 7 does it say the House may keep bills secret from senators until it passes the House.

Try again... Article I, Section 5. They can do whatever they want.

There is zero logical reason why the House should keep a bill from a sitting senator, particularly a senator of the same party as controls the House.

Of course there is... to maintain the integrity and the separation of the chambers... and to remind everyone that the House does not work for the Senate.

Green Arrow
03-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Try again... Article I, Section 5. They can do whatever they want.

First it was Section 7, now it's Section 5? You're still off, though. Which House rule prohibits senators from viewing House legislation?

Of course there is... to maintain the integrity and the separation of the chambers... and to remind everyone that the House does not work for the Senate.
Do explain how the integrity and separation of the chambers is harmed by a senator of the majority party viewing legislation prior to voting.

The House does not work for the Senate, but it does have to work WITH the Senate.

Cletus
03-03-2017, 04:01 PM
First it was Section 7, now it's Section 5?

Both of the sections I cited apply.

Do explain how the integrity and separation of the chambers is harmed by a senator of the majority party viewing legislation prior to voting.

A Senator has no right to demand the House do anything. When the House feels the Senate should look at the proposed legislation, they will give it to the Senate.

What is so difficult to understand about that?

The House does not work for the Senate, but it does have to work WITH the Senate.

They will... when they present the bill to them.