PDA

View Full Version : tPF Why is any president owed our respect and allegiance?

Green Arrow
04-04-2017, 07:11 PM
The general tone folks around here seem to have regarding the Democratic Party's determination to "resist" President Trump has been highly negative, naturally. The implication there is that by virtue of being president, Donald Trump is essentially owed respect and the silence of every American, including his opponents.

To quote a current, ongoing discussion:

I was born in 1948--over 69 years ago--yet, in all this time, I have never before seen an organized "resistance" to any president. There have been some Republican presidents, and some Democratic presidents, since 1948; but never before has one encountered organized "resistance."

So, I'll ask the same question I asked there...

Why is resistance to a president, any president, a bad thing? Why are presidents expected to be free from resistance?

del
04-04-2017, 07:19 PM
they're not. every president has had opposition; this canard that the evil dems are the first ones to do so is risible.

as for respect, i had no respect for trump before he was elected, why would or should that change?

Common
04-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Trump is not only being resisted hes being totally denigrated and its been on since he won the primary. Ive voted for potus since I was 21 im 69, I never missed voting. This is not only the worst ive ever seen, its disgusting.

Compare trumps treatment by the press and anything hollywood Tv and such and compare it to obama.

Critisizing, protesting is not what this is

del
04-04-2017, 07:20 PM
as i said, risible

DGUtley
04-04-2017, 07:30 PM
Is a coup-d'etat permissible?

Green Arrow
04-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Trump is not only being resisted hes being totally denigrated and its been on since he won the primary. Ive voted for potus since I was 21 im 69, I never missed voting. This is not only the worst ive ever seen, its disgusting.

Compare trumps treatment by the press and anything hollywood Tv and such and compare it to obama.

Critisizing, protesting is not what this is

Okay. Why is "this" such a terrible thing?

I'll ignore your amnesia of the last eight years.

Green Arrow
04-04-2017, 07:40 PM

Do you believe it is?

del
04-04-2017, 07:41 PM
only if you win and save the republic

Common
04-04-2017, 07:56 PM
Okay. Why is "this" such a terrible thing?

I'll ignore your amnesia of the last eight years.

I dont have any amnesia, show me when there were violent protests against obama. Show me where you had the media creating fake news to denigrate him.
Show me where on Tv obama was denigrated anything near trump. Show me where the right attacked obamas children or his wife. Im not talking about forum jibber jabber, im talking about the MEDIA and television

The bad is just like the democrats and their nuclear option everytime they set a precedent it gets set in stone for both sides.

Green Arrow not you or anyone can make me believe that what the left is doing to trump isnt the most vicious ever. It certainly has been in my lifetime

del
04-04-2017, 07:58 PM
the sad thing is, he really believes it.

Green Arrow
04-04-2017, 08:01 PM
I dont have any amnesia, show me when there were violent protests against obama. Show me where you had the media creating fake news to denigrate him.
Show me where on Tv obama was denigrated anything near trump. Show me where the right attacked obamas children or his wife. Im not talking about forum jibber jabber, im talking about the MEDIA and television

The bad is just like the democrats and their nuclear option everytime they set a precedent it gets set in stone for both sides.

Green Arrow not you or anyone can make me believe that what the left is doing to trump isnt the most vicious ever. It certainly has been in my lifetime

I never claimed the media did any of that, and that wasn't your original statement that I disagreed with.

You still haven't answered the question.

Common
04-04-2017, 08:02 PM

I answered your question

Chris
04-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Opposition to the President, Congress, the government, the other baseball team, is fundamental.

Green Arrow
04-04-2017, 08:28 PM
I answered your question

Why is it wrong to resist a president? That was the question.

Cletus
04-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Why is it wrong to resist a president? That was the question.

What has been happening with Trump is not just "resisting" a President. It is an attack on the presidency, itself. Its scope goes beyond any that I have ever seen.

del
04-04-2017, 09:18 PM
apparently, there's an amnesia epidemic

Cletus
04-04-2017, 09:21 PM
apparently, there's an amnesia epidemic

Maybe in time and with a little help, you will get over it.

del
04-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Maybe in time and with a little help, you will get over it.
bless your heart, you've forgotten you have it

Green Arrow
04-04-2017, 09:45 PM
What has been happening with Trump is not just "resisting" a President. It is an attack on the presidency, itself. Its scope goes beyond any that I have ever seen.

So, what would be your answer to the question?

Hal Jordan
04-04-2017, 09:59 PM
bless your heart, you've forgotten you have it
Discuss the topic, not other members

Dr. Who
04-04-2017, 11:23 PM
In short, there has never been a prior president who has voluntarily offered so much material for the media to work with. The average rhetoric of the opposing voters is no more or less hyperbolic than it was 8 years ago. However, with the constant twitter feed from Trump it's like all of the MSM's dreams have come true, all at once, regardless of their opportunistic political positions. The MSM is more than the just the sum of its parts. It's big business and it wants to sell itself. It's really not about politics, it's about making money and Trump is their ace in the hole. I'm sure they all hope he's in power for 8 years. They never had it so easy.

DGUtley
04-05-2017, 04:20 AM
Dr., we saw during the Obama Administration that the MSM was most definitely about politics.

Hal Jordan
04-05-2017, 02:19 PM
The President is owed our respect and allegiance because a President will always do what is best for all Americans.

Coming to you from the depths of inner space.

Casper
04-05-2017, 02:43 PM
The President is owed our respect and allegiance because a President will always do what is best for all Americans.

Coming to you from the depths of inner space.
Ummmmmm, nevermind.

del
04-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Dr., we saw during the Obama Administration that the MSM was most definitely about politics.
you guys have amazing eyesight

Ravens Fan
04-05-2017, 06:29 PM
The general tone folks around here seem to have regarding the Democratic Party's determination to "resist" President Trump has been highly negative, naturally. The implication there is that by virtue of being president, Donald Trump is essentially owed respect and the silence of every American, including his opponents.

Why is resistance to a president, any president, a bad thing? Why are presidents expected to be free from resistance?
Speaking for myself, I do not feel that any President should be free of resistance. There has to be groups to keep him or her in line and honest, at every turn.

That said, i would agree that what we have been witnessing since this past November has been both over the top and downright immature. I can remember the way GWB was treated in the press and Hollywood, and it was not good. His children were the subject of ridicule, he was called every name in the book, and people wanted him locked up for war crimes. Now, i dont care much for Bush, but i felt at the time, that the retoric was childish.

Then came Obama, and all of a sudden the (majority of the) media forgot how to do investigative journalism. They forgot how to ask a President anything besides the softball questions and were quick to ignore anything bad about Obama. Hollywood and the music industry wasted no time in making the new President look like a savior, long before any strokes of the pen or calls on his phone. When those on the right, or the much smaller right leaning media tried to say anything bad about him, they were branded as racists, angry white men just waiting to die off. Sure there were some who treated Obama the same way the (almost) entire left had treated Bush, and some who were downright ignorant racists, but they were all grouped together so as to drown out all dissention as racism, zenophobia, islamophobia, etc...

Now, with Trump in office, the left, in all forms, has started right where they left off with GWB, but it's like they are on steroids now. This is more that the peacefull protests we saw from the tea party. It is bigger than Glenn Beck crying for hours on one cable channel. It is scarier than a small group of KKK members marching down main street in Podunk. We have violent protests, people getting hurt over a differing political view. The entire MSM is doing everything and everything possible to not only block Trump from being successful, but to destroy his cabinet with rumors and innuendo, if not the President himself. It really seems that the left is out for blood, all because they didn't get their way, and it matters not that they have nothing to back their claims.

So, no i don't want everybody to get in line and just follow Trump, or any official, blindly. I do however, think that things are getting ridiculous and wish those who are making all the noise at least were being honest about it.

Green Arrow
04-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Speaking for myself, I do not feel that any President should be free of resistance. There has to be groups to keep him or her in line and honest, at every turn.

That said, i would agree that what we have been witnessing since this past November has been both over the top and downright immature. I can remember the way GWB was treated in the press and Hollywood, and it was not good. His children were the subject of ridicule, he was called every name in the book, and people wanted him locked up for war crimes. Now, i dont care much for Bush, but i felt at the time, that the retoric was childish.

Then came Obama, and all of a sudden the (majority of the) media forgot how to do investigative journalism. They forgot how to ask a President anything besides the softball questions and were quick to ignore anything bad about Obama. Hollywood and the music industry wasted no time in making the new President look like a savior, long before any strokes of the pen or calls on his phone. When those on the right, or the much smaller right leaning media tried to say anything bad about him, they were branded as racists, angry white men just waiting to die off. Sure there were some who treated Obama the same way the (almost) entire left had treated Bush, and some who were downright ignorant racists, but they were all grouped together so as to drown out all dissention as racism, zenophobia, islamophobia, etc...

Now, with Trump in office, the left, in all forms, has started right where they left off with GWB, but it's like they are on steroids now. This is more that the peacefull protests we saw from the tea party. It is bigger than Glenn Beck crying for hours on one cable channel. It is scarier than a small group of KKK members marching down main street in Podunk. We have violent protests, people getting hurt over a differing political view. The entire MSM is doing everything and everything possible to not only block Trump from being successful, but to destroy his cabinet with rumors and innuendo, if not the President himself. It really seems that the left is out for blood, all because they didn't get their way, and it matters not that they have nothing to back their claims.

So, no i don't want everybody to get in line and just follow Trump, or any official, blindly. I do however, think that things are getting ridiculous and wish those who are making all the noise at least were being honest about it.

Agreed. Thanks for taking the time to be the first person to actually answer my question. :wink:

del
04-05-2017, 06:47 PM
Agreed. Thanks for taking the time to be the first person to actually answer my question. :wink:
post #2

decedent
04-05-2017, 06:47 PM
Trump is not only being resisted hes being totally denigrated and its been on since he won the primary.

Trump is a despicable human being. Never before has the President been bleeped on TV. He's not just crude, he's a pervert, habitual liar, and a bigot. There's really nothing worth respecting other than his bank account, and he's not even honest about that.

The denigration is well deserved, and will likely continue until he cleans up his act.

As for his fans, they're a classy bunch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=furGXfTJf4o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN7KHWdyrbI

Green Arrow
04-05-2017, 08:20 PM
post #2

Besides you :tongue: I meant first of the more right-leaning and Trump-favorable posters.

Dr. Who
04-05-2017, 08:21 PM

I disagree, they just seem to be. They are really about demographics and sales. More people on the left watch infotainment so there are more left leaning media outlets. This is not really about journalism or politics, it's about subscriptions and ad sales.

patrickt
04-12-2017, 10:34 AM

I don't think they are unless you're drafted. On the other hand, I think there is value to reasonable courtesy.

donttread
04-15-2017, 07:46 AM

Back in the day people respected the position even if they didn't like the man. But politicians have become so corrupt and such liars they abused the privledge and almost no one truly respects most of them now

The Xl
04-15-2017, 11:39 AM
No politician deserves our respect inherently. The lot of them are criminals, thieves, con men, murderers, etc.