PDA

View Full Version : Congress Passes 3 Free Trade Agreements.....

MMC
10-13-2011, 01:47 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/congress-passes-3-free-trade-agreements-003629553.html
AP – 3 hrs ago.....12 Oct 2011

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress approved free trade agreements Wednesday with South Korea, Colombia and Panama, ending a four-year drought in the forming of new trade partnerships and giving the White House and Capitol Hill the opportunity to show they can work together to stimulate the economy and put people back to work.

In rapid succession, the House of Representatives and Senate voted on the three trade pacts, which the administration says could boost exports by $13 billion and support tens of thousands of American jobs. None of the votes were close, despite opposition from labor groups and other critics of free trade agreements who say they result in job losses and ignore labor rights problems in the partner countries.

The agreements would lower or eliminate tariffs that American exporters face in the three countries. They also take steps to better protect intellectual property and improve access for American investors in those countries. The last free trade agreement completed was with Peru in 2007.

The House also passed and sent to Obama for his signature a bill to extend aid to workers displaced by foreign competition. Obama had demanded that the worker aid bill be part of the trade package.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce notes that U.S. farm products sold to South Korea face 54 percent tariffs, compared with 9 percent for Korean agricultural goods in the United States, and that U.S. automakers are hit with a 35 percent tariff in Colombia, compared with 2 percent for any vehicles coming from Colombia.

The administration says the trade deal with South Korea could increase exports by $10 billion, enough to eliminate the current $10 billion surplus Seoul has with the United States. It would make 95 percent of American consumer and industrial goods duty free within five years.

Lori Wallach, director of Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch, said the "job-killing" agreements were a "complete flip-flop for President Obama, who won crucial swing states by pledging to overhaul our flawed trade policies.".....snip~

More Free trade Agreements.....Obama carrying on what Bush started. So remember this flip flop as part of what other promises he did not keep. Notice it says it could increase. There is no guarnatee under free trade. Notice in the article it states the Republicans killed Obama's Jobs Bill. When in actually reality it was the Democrats.

I would note these Democrats that are speaking out here. Like Waters speaking out on Colombia. Yet she thought it was great to go treat Syria. Standing with Pelosi all on that.

Conley
10-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Well I admit I don't know a lot about it. Still it sounds like this could boost the economy and lead to more jobs, which is a good thing, and we didn't have to shell out half a trillion like Obama wanted to do with his bill. So I will take a wait and see approach.

MMC
10-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Well I admit I don't know a lot about it. Still it sounds like this could boost the economy and lead to more jobs, which is a good thing, and we didn't have to shell out half a trillion like Obama wanted to do with his bill. So I will take a wait and see approach.

You mean boost jobs overseas. Possibly opening up exports. The problem with that scenario is. If those foreign countries cannot afford shit now. Then please explain to me how the poorer they get the more they will import?

Conley
10-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Well you do have a point there. I didn't think South Korea was a particularly poor country, I thought they did pretty well and are technologically advanced.

MMC
10-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Well you do have a point there. I didn't think South Korea was a particularly poor country, I thought they did pretty well and are technologically advanced.

According to what I got the 13th largest Economy in the World.....but they arent doing so swell either. Moreover they just got some more aid from us.