PDA

View Full Version : I Love Technology

Conley
11-04-2012, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERCzN91JicA

Just finally joined the new century and got a smart phone, one of those iPhones...pretty sweet!

Chris
11-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Wait till you discover the wonderful world of apps for smartphones. iphone apps tend to cost more. But you can access bank, insurance, Triple AAA, Walmart, Redbox, Netflix, GPS navigation, hell just about anything from your phone.

I'm an android man myself. HTC Thunderbolt, and eyeing the new Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Conley
11-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Wait till you discover the wonderful world of apps for smartphones. iphone apps tend to cost more. But you can access bank, insurance, Triple AAA, Walmart, Redbox, Netflix, GPS navigation, hell just about anything from your phone.

I'm an android man myself. HTC Thunderbolt, and eyeing the new Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Awesome...the Androids look cool but I wanted something dummy-proof. I'm sure for a techie like you it's probably the way to go, but I have fat fingers. Will definitely be using the bank and GPS apps, though I read something about Apple Maps being really sucky. It seems to work fine so far.

Deadwood
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
I still use mail, the kind with stamps

Conley
11-04-2012, 11:17 AM

Are they delivered by ponies?

:cya20:

Chris
11-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Android's dummy-proof as well. Cheaper too. You must be rolling in dough.

Snail mail, hate it, mostly because the USPS delivers 99% junk mail, 149% on the run up to an election. Oddly, even given that, they're just about bankrupt, government.

Captain Obvious
11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Technology is broken and impractical.

It's not designed to work - in fact it's designed to not work, and therefore re-marketable.

Chris
11-04-2012, 11:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wgCFRKU0yA4

Chris
11-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Technology is broken and impractical.

It's not designed to work - in fact it's designed to not work, and therefore re-marketable.

The price you pay to be on the bleeding edge.

Captain Obvious
11-04-2012, 11:53 AM
The price you pay to be on the bleeding edge.

Exactly.

Technology - in terms of consumer technology is designed to be impractical. Shit doesn't work the way it used to and when they do work, it gets quickly changed or replaced with new stuff - requiring consumers to keep paying to keep up with it.

No thanks, I decided to stay out of that trap a long time ago.

Chris
11-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I was that way with cell phones for years, refused to go that route, once I did I found it a major convenience.

You don't have to upgrade every new version. My parents have had the same basic cellphone for ages now. I looked at Windows 8 for about a week, before I decided it just doesn't add enough to a desktop 'puter. But my cell phone plan allows fairly cheap upgrade every two years, so for a couple $100 why not I figure. I save by buying Dickies at Walmart. :-)

Hasn't this planned obsolescence been true for much of what's on the market, cars and trucks, appliances, etc. It generates wealth.

Captain Obvious
11-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I was that way with cell phones for years, refused to go that route, once I did I found it a major convenience.

You don't have to upgrade every new version. My parents have had the same basic cellphone for ages now. I looked at Windows 8 for about a week, before I decided it just doesn't add enough to a desktop 'puter. But my cell phone plan allows fairly cheap upgrade every two years, so for a couple $100 why not I figure. I save by buying Dickies at Walmart. :-)

Hasn't this planned obsolescence been true for much of what's on the market, cars and trucks, appliances, etc. It generates wealth.

You don't seem like a Dickies guy.

Agreed - the concept is "you can't sell something you can't re-sell again" or whatever, and maybe it's me but I have little patience with shit that is designed to be cumbersome and complicated. And I'm not a tech idiot either, my standards are just higher.

So I find those niches that work for me. Cars? No fucking way am I getting one loaded with all that electronic bullshit - not a fucking chance. I drive an F-250 that doesn't even have carpeting and has manual windows and it kicks ass. My second car is a stick hatchback, for gas mileage. Wife drives something wifey, but it's not stupid with options.

I can make an interesting suggestion though, IMO our standard of living has recently experienced a "correction" of sorts and I am thinking that simplicity and practicality may make a comeback at some point. Considering the deepening divide between classes there will still be silly luxury stuff, but I see a demand for simplicity around the corner.

roadmaster
11-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Simplicity is better when it comes to autos. I have what people call a sports car and those electronic windows have failed twice now and had to have it fixed. The old truck, manual windows never failed me and still runs great.