PDA

View Full Version : Judging Other Societies China Edition

Conley
10-16-2011, 09:47 AM
This nucking futs:

Synopsis: October 13th afternoon around 5:30, a car accident occurred at the Guangfo Hardware Market in Huangqi of Foshan. A van hit a 2-year-old little girl and then fled. No passersby reached out to help and then another car ran over her. Over the span of 7 minutes, a total of 17 people passing by failed to extend a hand or call the police, up until the 19th person, a garbage scavenger ayi [older woman], who lifted her up after discovering her but the little girl in her arms was like a noodle, immediately collapsing back onto the ground. The trash scavenger ayi called for help, and the little girl’s mother, who was in the vicinity, immediately rushed over and rushed her to the hospital.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/videos/2-year-old-chinese-girl-ran-over-by-van-ignored-by-18-bystanders.html

I would not advise watching the video. I haven't, just read about this story. So at what point do we just agree that some cultures are beyond us? Can you imagine anything like this happening at a Costco type market here in the States? 18 people walk by a broken 2 year old and no one lifts a finger? The PC police would have us not judge other societies but I can't wrap my brain around stuff like this.

Conley
10-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Also to be clear the girl might have had a shot if someone had helped her after the first truck hit her...but they just left her there and then eventually the second hit her as well. :(

Captain Obvious
10-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Shit like that happens here also, I'm not sure it's the majority in either instance.

Conley
10-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Shit like that happens here also, I'm not sure it's the majority in either instance.

It doesn't happen here.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2011, 10:02 AM
78 Year Old Man Gets Hit By Car and No-One Helps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4wWGH51-A#)

Conley
10-16-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't really want to watch videos of people getting critically injured.

So your point is that people get hit by cars here and people don't help? Agreed but the story I am citing goes well beyond that.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I didn't watch the vid you posted, I don't like watching shit like that either but my point is that you cannot judge a society by an isolated incident and I'm not sure this isn't an isolated incident - in both China and the vid I posted.

I tend to think they both are isolated incidents.

Conley
10-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I didn't watch the vid you posted, I don't like watching shit like that either but my point is that you cannot judge a society by an isolated incident and I'm not sure this isn't an isolated incident - in both China and the vid I posted.

I tend to think they both are isolated incidents.

I agree on your last point. And you are right, I don't know chit about China so I really shouldn't judge. But the things I've read, about killing female babies (and yes, I know some sickos here kill their babies too) and other loss of life gives me the sense that they don't value life as much as we do. It could be because of a harsher upbringing and having such a population issue - it really is survival of the fittest.

So my question to you and one I was thinking about when I started this thread was at what point, if ever, is it ok to judge another society? Are you saying I shouldn't judge the Chinese because things are the same way here? I think our society could be improved, no doubt about it.

I've read about some teen couple getting stoned in Afghanistan for kissing, stuff like that. Obviously in Taliban society that stuff is ok, but I have no problem judging it and thinking it's completely fubar.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2011, 10:24 AM
That's a complicated question.

Was the Nazi party representative of the German society? They sure made a mess of things back when. Are Islamic whackos representative of Islamic society?

I can't judge a society by the actions of the minority who hold power and are oppressive on issues like human rights or common courtesy. I don't think the person who is getting stoned or is having their genitals mutilated agrees with what is being forced on them (or maybe I'm wrong), but if they do then it's none of my business. I'm just not sure they do.

Conley
10-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Interesting, I hadn't heard of "Duty to Rescue"

In the common law of the United States and other anglosphere countries, there is no general duty to come to the rescue of another.[1] Generally, a person cannot be held liable for doing nothing while another person is in peril.[2][3] However, such a duty may arise in two situations:

* A duty to rescue arises where a person creates a hazardous situation. If another person then falls into peril because of this hazardous situation, the creator of the hazard – who may not necessarily have been a negligent tortfeasor – has a duty to rescue the individual in peril.[4]
* Such a duty also arises where a "special relationship" exists. For example:
o Emergency workers (firefighters, emergency medical technicians, etc.) have a general duty to rescue the public within the scope of their employment. The Supreme Court of the United States ruled in Warren v. DC that the police have no duty to protect any citizen not in custody, and cannot be sued for their failure to protect.[5]
o Parents have a duty to rescue their minor children. This duty also applies to those acting in loco parentis, such as schools or babysitters.[6]
o Common carriers have a duty to rescue their patrons.[7]
o Employers have an obligation to rescue employees, under an implied contract theory.[8][unreliable source?]
o Property owners have a duty to rescue invitees but not trespassers from all dangers on the property.
o Spouses have a duty to rescue each other in all U.S. jurisdictions.[9]
o In the United States, as of 2009 ten states had laws on the books requiring that people at least notify law enforcement of and/or seek aid for strangers in peril under certain conditions: California,[10][11] Florida,[10][12][13] Hawaii,[10][14] Massachusetts,[10][15] Minnesota,[10][16] Ohio,[10][17] Rhode Island,[10][18] Vermont,[10][19] Washington,[10][20][21] and Wisconsin.[10][22] These laws are also referred to as Good Samaritan laws, despite their difference from laws of the same name that protect individuals that try to help another person.[1] These laws are rarely applied, and are generally ignored by citizens and lawmakers.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue