PDA

View Full Version : Fox: Wonder Woman Unpatriotic

IMPress Polly
06-07-2017, 06:09 AM
Well the sex abuse network has decided to weigh in on why they can't stand the first "tent pole" superhero film about, and directed by, a woman. (I know you're shocked.) Fabricating an explanation that tries its best not to sound like the obvious "it's got a female lead" (like all good, PC sexists do), this is what they came up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7-4Mov2ng

For the record, Diana (a.k.a. Wonder Woman) is Amazonian, not American, and the actress who plays her is an Israeli, not an American. Hence you might wonder why this film is held to a standard of mindless American nationalism that no other film from this genre is, as there's not exactly a narrative obligation to it there.

Without going into details, Diana in this film fights on the American side of the First World War, but indeed one does often get the feeling that it's not so much the German menace as the war itself that is her true foe. Heaven forbid. For example, there are scenes where her American partner Steve Trevor admits to his own, and to his country's own, culpability in humanity's history of war, including the protracted genocide of Native Americans. As an anti-imperialist myself, I appreciated the fact that the movie didn't let America off the hook in its critique of war and in this and other ways promoted critical thinking instead of jingoism. But let's get real: this is a stand-in position for their real objection to Wonder Woman. You can tell by the fact that they cite feminist Lena Dunham (creator of the TV show Girls) as another leading example of inadequate patriotism.

Archer0915
06-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Well the sex abuse network has decided to weigh in on why they can't stand the first "tent pole" superhero film about, and directed by, a woman. (I know you're shocked.) Fabricating an explanation that tries its best not to sound like the obvious "it's got a female lead" (like all good, PC sexists do), this is what they came up with:

For the record, Diana (a.k.a. Wonder Woman) is Amazonian, not American, and the actress who plays her is an Israeli, not an American. Hence you might wonder why this film is held to a standard of mindless American nationalism that no other film from this genre is, as there's not exactly a narrative obligation to it there.

Without going into details, Diana in this film fights on the American side of the First World War, but indeed one does often get the feeling that it's not so much the German menace as the war itself that is her true foe. Heaven forbid. For example, there are scenes where her American partner Steve Trevor admits to his own, and to his country's own, culpability in humanity's history of war, including the protracted genocide of Native Americans. As an anti-imperialist myself, I appreciated the fact that the movie didn't let America off the hook in its critique of war and in this and other ways promoted critical thinking instead of jingoism. But let's get real: this is a stand-in position for their real objection to Wonder Woman. You can tell by the fact that they cite feminist Lena Dunham (creator of the TV show Girls) as another leading example of inadequate patriotism.
2nd WW sweet cheeks. But in all seriousness...

I got to see this.

donttread
06-07-2017, 07:24 AM

Well no wonder. Anti war soldiers. If all the kids in uniform get the message that they are allowed to think that way.... well imperialism gets tougher. We can't have that at the Neocon network.

IMPress Polly
06-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Archer wrote:
2nd WW sweet cheeks. But in all seriousness...

I got to see this.

Nope, it's actually the First World War in this movie. But anyway, yeah, it's a good movie!