PDA

View Full Version : 5 More Female-Led Superhero Movies Coming

IMPress Polly
06-18-2017, 07:18 AM
28% of major Hollywood movies today have female leads, as compared with 11% up through 2007. What explains this difference? The Hunger Games. Before the Hunger Games films took off, Hollywood tended to believe that girls and women only liked romances like Titanic and Twilight (and, well, Beauty and the Beast and Fifty Shades, to highlight more recent commercially successful romances-of-sorts). The Hunger Games' success convinced some filmmakers that there was now a market for female-led action movies, to which end we have since seen such notables as Lucy, Mad Max: Fury Road (my favorite!), and the new Star Wars movies, among others. That may compose a very small share of the action films genre overall, but it nonetheless represents something that didn't exist in any appreciable way before The Hunger Games hit in 2012. Overall, female-led films take in an average of 16% more revenue than male-led films these days (https://www.google.com/about/main/gender-equality-films/). And the popularity of many of these movies is leading to more getting greenlit.

Another movie that was greenlit for creation on these grounds after The Hunger Games was Wonder Woman: the first "tent-pole" superhero movie about a female character. Since DC Films and Warner Bros. announced the Wonder Woman movie, five more female-led superhero films have been announced:

1) Marvel Studios, under Disney, has announced that a Captain Marvel movie, to be co-directed by a man (Ryan Fleck) and a woman (Anna Boden), which is slated for release in the first half of 2019.

2) DC Films, under Warner Bros., has announced plans for a Batgirl movie, to be directed, written, and produced by Joss Whedon (who is perhaps best known for creating the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer), as well as 3) a Gotham City Sirens movie directed by the talentless David Ayer (see Suicide Squad), but mercifully at least written by a woman (Geneva Robertson-Dworet).

4) Sony has announced plans for a movie called Silver and Black about the supporting characters Silver Sable and Black Cat from the Spider-Man comics "universe" (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/who-are-black-cat-silver-sable-history-spider-man-characters-988188) under the direction of one Gina Prince-Bythewood.

5) And most recently, Patty Jenkins has been confirmed to helm a sequel to Wonder Woman, which she suggests she'd like to set in the past, around the 1930s or so, in the United States (http://collider.com/wonder-woman-2-setting/).

Out of those five movies, Gotham City Sirens, a female-team Suicide Squad spin-off, sounds easily the least interesting to yours truly, while frankly Wonder Woman 2 sounds like it has the most potential, though I'm also intrigued by the Silver and Black team movie, and particularly by what I'm learning about the character Silver Sable. Batgirl and Captain Marvel sound like the kind of material I could take or leave.

But you see how this all started? With one movie. Without Wonder Woman, none of these other five movies would be greenlit, and without The Hunger Games, Wonder Woman would never have been greenlit. In the world of profit-driven movie-making, success begets multiplication, which begets more success. Somebody had to try and make a good female-led action movie and have it make a lot of money. That is the bottom line. Movies take a long time to make, so progress has been a little slow, but the future of action movies for girls and women, including comic book-inspired superhero movies for girls and women, looks bright! By the start of the next decade, I think we can expect these to become a regular thing.

There are other mediums still need their proverbial Hunger Games. Video games still haven't really had one, for example. (Which is why I've suggested that American video game developers consider examining the success that Japanese game-makers have had in attracting female players (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/81329-Japan-s-Feminist-Gaming-Culture).)

As to how Wonder Woman is doing commercially, the answer is quite well! Currently, it's the third-highest grossing movie of the year to date (here in the U.S. anyway) and is projected to make $41 million more in domestic ticket sales alone this weekend, which means it would be outpacing U.S. Suicide Squad ticket sales by 4%. The significance of outpacing Suicide Squad in revenue is that Suicide Squad was a team hero movie, while Wonder Woman is about a solo hero character. Team hero movies tend to perform much better at the box office than solo hero films do because, when it comes to the former, each hero character has its own fan base that combines into one giant audience. Some projections now even suggest that Wonder Woman could even ultimately sell more tickets than Batman vs. Superman (another DC team hero movie) despite being an origin story. It's wildly outperforming the filmmakers' expectations. Originally, the filmmakers projected that Wonder Woman would have a $70 million opening weekend in the United States. Normally the rate of ticket sales for any given movie dips by about 50% with each successive weekend it remains in theaters, so if the original projections were true and this had been a normal movie, here's how the first three weekends would have stacked up in domestic revenues:

Weekend 1: $70 million
Weekend 2: $35 million
Weekend 3: $17.5 million

Here, by contrast, is how it has actually stacked up in domestic revenues:

Weekend 1: $103 million
Weekend 2: $58 million
Weekend 3: $41 million

Observe not only the unexpectedly large opening, but also how remarkably small the weekend-on-weekend dips are. What it all means is that this movie has hit the cultural sweet spot for 2017 and will, you can bet, remain in theaters for the rest of the summer. Honestly though, I think maybe the experts should've expected something like this after the record-breaking turnout for the Women's March earlier this year. If there is anyone to truly thank for this remarkable outcome, it is Donald Trump, who's presidency has ensured that feminism is very in this year.

In other Wonder Woman news, did you know that there's a movie about the character's creator William Marston, called Professor Marston & the Wonder Women (http://collider.com/professor-marston-and-the-wonder-women-teaser/), coming out later this year? It actually sounds like a very interesting story, given that the man appears to have led a very unorthodox life and possessed a very unusual worldview. Marston was a in three-way relationship with a pair of feminist women apparently, whose views he shared, and wrote the comic in the early 1940s under a pseudonym after becoming worried about the impact that male-centric superhero comics like Superman were having on the culture. He described Wonder Woman as "Psychological propaganda for the new type of woman who should, I believe, rule the world." It could be just as interesting as Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman movie itself was!

Green Arrow
06-18-2017, 08:23 AM
One slight correction: Marvel had already greenlit Captain Marvel well before Wonder Woman was greenlit by DC.

IMPress Polly
06-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Green Arrow wrote:
One slight correction: Marvel had already greenlit Captain Marvel well before Wonder Woman was greenlit by DC.

Oh really? Must've gotten some wrong info on that! Why is it coming out so much later then?

Green Arrow
06-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Oh really? Must've gotten some wrong info on that! Why is it coming out so much later then?

Marvel has everything structured out in phased releases. Captain Marvel was intended as a later phase, to form a new Avengers team after the main Avengers, with heroes like Black Panther.

IMPress Polly
06-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Green Arrow wrote:
Marvel has everything structured out in phased releases. Captain Marvel was intended as a later phase, to form a new Avengers team after the main Avengers, with heroes like Black Panther.

Aaah, I see! Well whatever the reasoning, it looks like all five movies will probably be coming out in the 2019-21 time frame.

stjames1_53
06-18-2017, 11:18 AM
is Hillary going to compare herself to these comic book heroines, too?

IMPress Polly
06-18-2017, 11:39 AM
stjames trolled:

Oh go back to complaining about how all leftist are MURDERERS now. On another thread.

Adelaide
06-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Thread banned for off-topic posting.

Standing Wolf
06-18-2017, 11:49 AM
There have been several different "looks" for Captain Marvel over the years and - I'm not totally sure, but I think - more than one female character has used the name. Hoping they use this one.

http://www.geekalerts.com/u/Captain-Marvel-Premium-Format-Figure-small.jpg

Green Arrow
06-18-2017, 11:52 AM
There have been several different "looks" for Captain Marvel over the years and - I'm not totally sure, but I think - more than one female character has used the name. Hoping they use this one.

http://www.geekalerts.com/u/Captain-Marvel-Premium-Format-Figure-small.jpg

I love Carol Danvers, but I want them to use Kamala Khan.

IMPress Polly
06-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Standing Wolf wrote:

Green Arrow wrote:
I love Carol Danvers, but I want them to use Kamala Khan.

Looking this up on Wikipedia, it appears that there is a difference between the "Captain" Marvel character and a "Ms." Marvel character in that the original Captain Marvel was male, with the "Ms." character being created during like the 1970s feminist wave as a counterweight to that or something. A previous Ms. Marvel in Carol Danvers has, Wikipedia tells me, graduated to Captain Marvel status in recent years in the comic books, leaving the one named Kamala Khan as the new Ms. Marvel. Apparently Khan is a Muslim superhero character and a little too young for the Captain title.

In the view of this, I see what you're saying, Green Arrow. To make a Ms. Marvel movie would definitely be a bolder statement in today's political climate. Unfortunately though, for as boundary-pushing as Disney has been on inclusiveness lately, I suspect that there is a degree of poll-testing they do that they aren't willing to defy too much. They weathered some minor controversy surrounding the inclusion of a gay character in the live-action Beauty and the Beast remake just fine earlier this year (it's amazing what we choose to find controversial about films like that, considering that you'd think the more obvious issue would be its romantization of Stockholm Syndrome), but Islam seems to be much more controversial than homosexuality is in the Western world these days. That's precisely what could make a Ms. Marvel movie especially potent at this particular sort of moment in our history and worth seeing, but, y'know, Disney has a large, predominantly Christian audience to worry about maintaining the loyalty of and that might be "going too far" for them right now. :rollseyes:

Ethereal
06-18-2017, 03:17 PM
It makes sense commercially. Women are half the population, so it was inevitable that the already lucrative superhero genre would start marketing to them more aggressively.

I must say, though, that the superhero genre is, in my opinion, wildly over-saturated. I'm not objecting to the women getting in on the action, but the general trend to put out superhero movie after superhero movie. I would like to see more money and time being invested in "artsy" films like Mud, for example.

Standing Wolf
06-18-2017, 05:03 PM
They weathered some minor controversy surrounding the inclusion of a gay character in the live-action Beauty and the Beast remake just fine earlier this year (it's amazing what we choose to find controversial about films like that, considering that you'd think the more obvious issue would be its romantization of Stockholm Syndrome), but Islam seems to be much more controversial than homosexuality is in the Western world these days.

It's not an original observation, of course, but - with the exception of the really spun-out religious fundamentalist-types - audiences do tend to be more accepting of lesbian characters than of their male counterparts. Carol Danvers/Supergirl's adoptive sister on the WB show came out last season. And while it isn't a superhero show, one of the main female characters on NCIS: New Orleans is out this season, as well. I'm sure it drives some folks crazy that popular entertainment is actually reflecting the real world for a change.

Standing Wolf
06-25-2017, 11:20 PM
Speaking of NCIS: New Orleans and female action heroes, I was watching a recent episode tonight and the woman who plays Scott Bakula's character's current love interest on that show looked very familiar. I thought at first that it was just because her features are similar to Mariska Hargitay's, but it turns out that she's been appearing in t.v. episodes and movies for a lot of years and I have no doubt seen her many times on different shows. Thirty years ago, she was 'Teela' in the underappreciated live-action Masters of the Universe movie with Dolph Lundgren and John Cypher, with Frank Langella as Skeletor.

http://static.cinemarx.ro/poze/cache/t26/persoane-poze/2011/12/Chelsea_Field_1324752697_3.jpg

She and Bakula have been married since 2009 and have two kids together.

The Xl
06-26-2017, 12:47 AM
As long as they're entertaining, well written, and not too political, I think it's a good thing.