PDA

View Full Version : College Students No Longer Think 'Freedom Is a Big Deal'

Chris
06-21-2017, 10:50 AM
What I think is an insightful analysis of the problem we see with American youth on campas today, .

"For the first time, a growing number of young people actually think freedom isn't a big deal," says sociologist Frank Furedi, who's an emeritus professor at the University of Kent and author of the new book, What Happened to the University: a sociological exploration of its infantilisation.

The university was once a place where students valued free speech and risk taking, but today "a very illiberal ethos has become institutionalized," says Furedi. "In many respects, it's easier to speak about controversial subjects outside the university...It's a historic role reversal."

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLuPTTmE72I (]College Students No Longer Think 'Freedom Is a Big Deal'[/url)

Tahuyaman
06-22-2017, 05:34 PM
There is no intellectual curiosity, or critical thinking taking place on the average university campus any longer. Indoctrination and conformity is the norm now.

Chris
06-22-2017, 06:58 PM
There is no intellectual curiosity, or critical thinking taking place on the average university campus any longer. Indoctrination and conformity is the norm now.

So what brings this about?

Tahuyaman
06-22-2017, 07:26 PM
So what brings this about? The left fought hard to gain control of our education system at all levels. This was their goal. Now their goal is to maintain it.

Chris
06-22-2017, 07:45 PM
The left fought hard to gain control of our education system at all levels. This was their goal. Now their goal is to maintain it.

There's that of course but it's got to be more in how children are treated even in the home.

Tahuyaman
06-22-2017, 10:56 PM
There's that of course but it's got to be more in how children are treated even in the home.

parents today have given schools the responsibility of forming their children's mind.

Chris
06-23-2017, 08:17 AM
parents today have given schools the responsibility of forming their children's mind.

I'm reading this article, Is American Childhood Creating an Authoritarian Society? (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/will-american-childhood-create-an-authoritarian-society/), that argues it's because parents are too protective:

American childhood has taken an authoritarian turn. An array of trends in American society are conspiring to produce unprecedented levels of supervision and control over children’s lives. Tracing the effects of childrearing on broad social outcomes is an exercise in speculation. But if social scientists are correct to posit a connection between childrearing and long-term political outcomes, today’s restrictive childhood norms may portend a broader regression in our country’s democratic consensus.

...The impact on children is concerning in itself, but the stakes for society are particularly high at a moment when American democracy appears vulnerable. In a recent paper in the UCLA Law Review, University of Chicago law professors Aziz Huq and Tom Ginsburg ask whether the United States is at risk of democratic backsliding. Huq and Ginsburg found that the risk of incremental but ultimately substantial decay in democratic norms has “spiked” and now presents a “clear and present” danger. The authors argue that a “larger shift toward an illiberal democracy” is well within the cards.

Agent Zero
06-23-2017, 05:07 PM
What I think is an insightful analysis of the problem we see with American youth on campas today, College Students No Longer Think 'Freedom Is a Big Deal' (http://College Students No Longer Think 'Freedom Is a Big Deal').

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLuPTTmE72I
This guy's a Communist. Of course he's against freedom.

Chris
06-23-2017, 08:25 PM
This guy's a Communist. Of course he's against freedom.

The messenger? So. Address his message, if you can.

Dr. Who
06-23-2017, 08:29 PM
The left fought hard to gain control of our education system at all levels. This was their goal. Now their goal is to maintain it.

The left are not a hive mind. Many of us bemoan the lack of intellectual curiosity. There is something else at play and it isn't really left or right. It is a creeping sense of entitlement and an aversion to compromise. The right fringe feels just as entitled as the left fringe. The only difference are their entitlements. Something is very wrong. People no longer feel that any opinion but their own is deserving of consideration. People think that we can live in political silos without consequence.

Dr. Who
06-23-2017, 08:32 PM
I'm reading this article, Is American Childhood Creating an Authoritarian Society? (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/will-american-childhood-create-an-authoritarian-society/), that argues it's because parents are too protective:
I tend to agree. How can people reared without any freedom understand the concept?

Peter1469
06-23-2017, 08:51 PM
I see it with legal interns at my work. They seriously consider the Constitution as optional - an impediment to progress in the US.

Tahuyaman
06-23-2017, 09:59 PM
The left are not a hive mind. Many of us bemoan the lack of intellectual curiosity. There is something else at play and it isn't really left or right. It is a creeping sense of entitlement and an aversion to compromise. The right fringe feels just as entitled as the left fringe. The only difference are their entitlements. Something is very wrong. People no longer feel that any opinion but their own is deserving of consideration. People think that we can live in political silos without consequence.

The left is a pack mentality. Period.

Dr. Who
06-23-2017, 10:11 PM
The left is a pack mentality. Period.

I disagree. The left is a spectrum comprising slightly left of center all the way to the fringe. You see the fringe in the media, but they don't represent the majority any more than the Westboro Baptists or "alt-righters" represent everyone right of center.

Tahuyaman
06-23-2017, 10:31 PM
I disagree. The left is a spectrum comprising slightly left of center all the way to the fringe. You see the fringe in the media, but they don't represent the majority any more than the Westboro Baptists or "alt-righters" represent everyone right of center.

The media is the mainstream. What you call the fringe is the mainstream. The non fringe has been run off.

Chris
06-24-2017, 10:17 AM
The failure of Obamacare, that we can blame on liberals, but this, the way children are being raised, they're acting like children through collenge and out in the real world, that society's fault in general.

Dr. Who
06-24-2017, 11:10 AM
The failure of Obamacare, that we can blame on liberals, but this, the way children are being raised, they're acting like children through collenge and out in the real world, that society's fault in general.
It's funny, I used to tell my mother that by today's standards the way that we were raised would be considered negligent, since we were so often miles away from home, returning only for meals, at least until it got dark. Parents today would be horrified if their children were walking down railroad tracks, playing in and around a creek, climbing trees, jumping off garage roofs, riding their bikes out of the city into the surrounding farmland all without benefit of a cell phone to keep tabs on their location.

Chris
06-24-2017, 11:14 AM
It's funny, I used to tell my mother that by today's standards the way that we were raised would be considered negligent, since we were so often miles away from home, returning only for meals, at least until it got dark. Parents today would be horrified if their children were walking down railroad tracks, playing in and around a creek, climbing trees, jumping off garage roofs, riding their bikes out of the city into the surrounding farmland all without benefit of a cell phone to keep tabs on their location.

Same here. We ran wild and did some crazy things. Of course if we did wrong we were severely punished.

Dr. Who
06-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Same here. We ran wild and did some crazy things. Of course if we did wrong we were severely punished.
We actually had to exercise judgment and learn from mistakes.

Chris
06-24-2017, 11:59 AM
We actually had to exercise judgment and learn from mistakes.

And solve our own problems, not turn to someone in authority and demand they fix things, shut someone up.

The Xl
06-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Modern day college is effectively the process of indoctrinating and dumbing dumb of the youth of the country.

donttread
07-21-2017, 10:37 AM

What do you expect with the government in control.?

MisterVeritis
07-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Those idiot students will not only live in slavery, they condemn everyone else to share their fate. Arm up, smart people.