PDA

View Full Version : Heartland Draws Hispanics to Help Revive Small Towns

shaarona
11-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Heartland Draws Hispanics to Help Revive Small Towns
BY MIRIAM JORDAN

(Another perspective on immigration... This may turn out to be a good thing. Note remarks about safe neighborhoods.)

OTTUMWA, Iowa—José Rodas moved to this blue-collar town on the Des Moines River in 2001 to take a job at the Cargill pork plant, after more than a decade eking out an existence in California and Nevada.

Within a year, the Guatemalan immigrant had saved enough money to buy a house for his family. Last March, he opened the town's first tortilla factory.

"It's much better here than in California," says Mr. Rodas, who works mornings at his "Tortilleria Los Twins" and the late shift at the Cargill plant. "There's lots of work, it's tranquilo and the cost of living ...

snip

The "Latino Diaspora" is playing a key role in revitalizing small-town America once plagued with a shrinking tax base and dim prospects for economic growth.

Since the 1990s, Latinos have flocked to places like Dalton, Ga., to work in the carpet mills, and to the Piedmont section of North Carolina to work in furniture manufacturing. Many Hispanics work in the hotels and golf courses of Hilton Head, S.C. Some analysts believe the influx could eventually tip more traditionally Republican Southern states into the Democratic column.

The big Hispanic movement to Midwestern small towns has been more recent. Between 2000 and 2010, the Hispanic population in the Midwest swelled 49%, more than 12 times the 4% overall population growth there, according to the census.

continued

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...654098514.html (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443696604577645500654098514.html)

I love small towns and have been disappointed to see so many shrinking over the past 15 years. This development may prove positive..........

Peter1469
11-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Many Latinos are natural republicans. The are however, one issue voters. The GOP needs to embrace some sort of sane immigration policy and the Latino voters will come home.

Calypso Jones
11-10-2012, 09:15 AM
The article means guatemalans and one or two other countries NOT MEXICO. And that is not a substantial number of people to make a difference. We have Guatemalans in the local Republican party. Most mexicans are conniving little governmental abusers who learn quickly how to work the system. They want to destroy this country even if it means themselves.

I don't buy that article for the most part.

shaarona
11-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Many Latinos are natural republicans. The are however, one issue voters. The GOP needs to embrace some sort of sane immigration policy and the Latino voters will come home.

That makes sense, Pete.. but the Republicans also need to shed the nuts like Palin, Bachmann, Trump and Karl Rove.

shaarona
11-10-2012, 09:20 AM
The article means guatemalans and one or two other countries NOT MEXICO. And that is not a substantial number of people to make a difference. We have Guatemalans in the local Republican party. Most mexicans are conniving little governmental abusers who learn quickly how to work the system. They want to destroy this country even if it means themselves.

I don't buy that article for the most part.

Georgia has more hispanic immigrants than Arizona and for the most part they seem very frugal and industrious. Drive thru some small towns.. Store fronts that were formerly boarded up now have small businesses and shops.

I know a family from Brazil.. She cleans houses and he hauls and sells fruit... Now he has two trucks.

Calypso Jones
11-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah. I'm sure you have what's good for the country and republicans in your heart.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 09:31 AM
The first generation is usually fairly industrious although much of that money returns to their home countries. Their offspring not so much. Moreover, they are steeped in identity politics from an early age and are raised with the idea that America is holding out on them.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Heartland Draws Hispanics to Help Revive Small Towns
BY MIRIAM JORDAN

(Another perspective on immigration... This may turn out to be a good thing. Note remarks about safe neighborhoods.)

OTTUMWA, Iowa—José Rodas moved to this blue-collar town on the Des Moines River in 2001 to take a job at the Cargill pork plant, after more than a decade eking out an existence in California and Nevada.

Within a year, the Guatemalan immigrant had saved enough money to buy a house for his family. Last March, he opened the town's first tortilla factory.

"It's much better here than in California," says Mr. Rodas, who works mornings at his "Tortilleria Los Twins" and the late shift at the Cargill plant. "There's lots of work, it's tranquilo and the cost of living ...

snip

The "Latino Diaspora" is playing a key role in revitalizing small-town America once plagued with a shrinking tax base and dim prospects for economic growth.

Since the 1990s, Latinos have flocked to places like Dalton, Ga., to work in the carpet mills, and to the Piedmont section of North Carolina to work in furniture manufacturing. Many Hispanics work in the hotels and golf courses of Hilton Head, S.C. Some analysts believe the influx could eventually tip more traditionally Republican Southern states into the Democratic column.

The big Hispanic movement to Midwestern small towns has been more recent. Between 2000 and 2010, the Hispanic population in the Midwest swelled 49%, more than 12 times the 4% overall population growth there, according to the census.

continued

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...654098514.html (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443696604577645500654098514.html)

I love small towns and have been disappointed to see so many shrinking over the past 15 years. This development may prove positive..........

Another WSJ propaganda piece. Tell us, have Latinos "revitalized" CA?

respectfulguest
11-10-2012, 09:33 AM
That makes sense, Pete.. but the Republicans also need to shed the nuts like Palin, Bachmann, Trump and Karl Rove.

I support all immigrants that come to this country legally.. also Palin and Rove have been out of the game for awhile and Trump never was.. perhaps the dems can shed Biden, Obama and Axelrod.

shaarona
11-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Another WSJ propaganda piece. Tell us, have Latinos "revitalized" CA?

They haven't.. that's why they are settling in small towns in the Carolinas, Mississippi and Georgia..

The cost of living is far lower and they can start mom and pop businesses.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 09:35 AM
I support all immigrants that come to this country legally.. also Palin and Rove have been out of the game for awhile and Trump never was.. perhaps the dems can shed Biden, Obama and Axelrod.

This country needs moratorium on all immigration for at least a decade.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 09:36 AM
They haven't.. that's why they are settling in small towns in the Carolinas, Mississippi and Georgia..

The cost of living is far lower and they can start mom and pop businesses.

And repeat the strain they put on CA. Great idea. For them anyway.

shaarona
11-10-2012, 09:38 AM
The first generation is usually fairly industrious although much of that money returns to their home countries. Their offspring not so much. Moreover, they are steeped in identity politics from an early age and are raised with the idea that America is holding out on them.

I often shop in a large hispanic market... a mercado..

I find their children to be very well behaved.. and the children can usually speak English better than their parents... often translating.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I often shop in a large hispanic market... a mercado..

I find their children to be very well behaved.. and the children can usually speak English better than their parents... often translating.

That's really nice. :smiley:

shaarona
11-10-2012, 09:39 AM
And repeat the strain they put on CA. Great idea. For them anyway.

Drive down main street in any small town .. look at the empty store fronts.. Victims of the big box stores.. The landlords are happy to have small business rents.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Drive down main street in any small town .. look at the empty store fronts.. Victims of the big box stores.. The landlords are happy to have small business rents.

Oh, I'm sure the locals love the transformation of small town America into barrios. Yeah...lol ut who cares what they want. This is all about money for big business,

shaarona
11-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Oh, I'm sure the locals love the transformation of small tow America into barrios. Yeah...lol

Small towns are sometimes very odd.. I saw far more interracial marriages and better race relations in small towns. Community functions and community theater were very diverse. There an attitude that if you want to play BBall and the team is half black, you either play by yourself or jump in.

I have seen Chinese, Latinos, Iranians and Indians embraced by small town communities.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Small towns are sometimes very odd.. I saw far more interracial marriages and better race relations in small towns. Community functions and community theater were very diverse. There an attitude that if you want to play BBall and the team is half black, you either play by yourself or jump in.

I have seen Chinese, Latinos, Iranians and Indians embraced by small town communities.

Your stories are always very nice but sometimes I wonder what you think they prove? :smiley: People in small towns are not happy at the transformation of their homes into barrios. The WSJ's goal is to convince us all it's for the best.

shaarona
11-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Your stories are always very nice but sometimes I wonder what you think they prove? :smiley: People in small towns are not happy at the transformation of their homes into barrios. The WSJ's goal is to convince us all it's for the best.

Ghost towns or barrios.. Take your pick.

Some Americans are simply eat up with negativity.. and that is self fulfilling.

Look at the clots in Louisiana who want to secede from the union. They lose an election and throw in the towel.. What a pack of sob sisters.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Ghost towns or barrios.. Take your pick.

Some Americans are simply eat up with negativity.. and that is self fulfilling.

Look at the clots in Louisiana who want to secede from the union. They lose an election and throw in the towel.. What a pack of sob sisters.

The locals have chosen. They would prefer they were not dispossessed. They/We don't need more barrios.

Some people like to change the subject. That usually means they have no argument. :smiley:

shaarona
11-10-2012, 10:20 AM
The locals would prefer they were not dispossessed. They/We don't need more barrios.

Some people like to change the subject. That usually means they have no argument. :smiley:

Dispossessed is an interesting word.. Their children leave for the cities.. the town falls into disrepair as tax rolls fall. You can't recruit new businesses.. healthcare shrinks..

On the other hand.. when foreigners move in with some optimism and enthusiasm.. you get a different dynamic.

Negativity will kill you.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Dispossessed is an interesting word.. Their children leave for the cities.. the town falls into disrepair as tax rolls fall. You can't recruit new businesses.. healthcare shrinks..

On the other hand.. when foreigners move in with some optimism and enthusiasm.. you get a different dynamic.

Migrations to the cities are an old story, shaarona. In fact, they are a 20th Century story. People are leaving densely populated urban areas and blacks are moving back south.

You mean like Israel? :laugh:

Irrelevant comments do tend to kill a discussion and a naive optimism such as yours also tends to have unfortunate consequences (e.g. the collapse of CA).

Calypso Jones
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM

Flink?

shaarona
11-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Migrations to the cities are an old story, shaarona. In fact, they are a 20th Century story. People are leaving densely populated urban areas and blacks are moving back south.

You mean like Israel? :laugh:

Irrelevant comments do tend to kill a discussion and a naive optimism such as yours also tends to have unfortunate consequences (e.g. the collapse of CA).

How does Israel fit into the picture? They were European refugees seeking sanctuary from European persecution.

California isn't rural Georgia or the Carolinas.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 10:39 AM
How does Israel fit into the picture? They were European refugees seeking sanctuary from European persecution.

California isn't rural Georgia or the Carolinas.

:laugh: Don't hate those foreigners who move in with some optimism and enthusiasm. You're too easy, lady.

What was formerly a desert dump is now a functioning First World state thanks to optimistic and enthusiastic foreigners. That's probably why you hate them so much.

Latin Americas are fleeing the poverty ad dysfunctional rule in their homelands and bringing it here. You don't understand what Americans want and you don't know what's good for them. neither does the WSJ.

shaarona
11-10-2012, 10:42 AM
:laugh: Don't hate those foreigners who move in with some optimism and enthusiasm. You're too easy, lady.

What was formerly a desert dump is now a functioning First World state thanks to optimistic and enthusiastic foreigners. That's probably why you hate them so much.

You don't understand what Americans want and you don't know what's good for them. neither does the WSJ.

Not really.. Israel has created 3 million refugees and destroyed the water table.. ruined the aquifers and the Jordan river... and they are still on the dole.

Read Hydrology of the Jordan Basin.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Not really.. Israel has created 3 million refugees and destroyed the water table.. ruined the aquifers and the Jordan river... and they are still on the dole.

Read Hydrology of the Jordan Basin.

The success of those optimistic and enthusiastic foreigners must be galling. There there... :smiley: Put on a suicide vest and everything will be OK.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Americans, on the other hand, cannot point to the huge success of Hispanics but only to the growth of a new underclass. Hey, but the journalists at the WSJ don't have to live with it.

shaarona
11-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Americans, on the other hand, cannot point to the huge success of Hispanics but only to the growth of a new underclass. Hey, but the journalists at the WSJ don't have to live with it.

Clearly you will not be vindicated unless America fails.. Perhaps Israel can send us foreign aid, loans and grants.

Lose an election.. lose your mind.. So much for patriotism.

Mister D
11-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Clearly you will not be vindicated unless America fails.. Perhaps Israel can send us foreign aid, loans and grants.

Lose an election.. lose your mind.. So much for patriotism.

I'm not looking for vindication, sweetie. The stats support my position. nor am I a Republican. Don't be mad that I caught you in a contradiction. You persisted with your foolishness so what else could I do but demonstrate your absurdity in a way that you would understand.?

shaarona
11-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm not looking for vindication, sweetie. The stats support my position. nor am I a Republican. Don't be mad that I caught you in a contradiction. You persisted with your foolishness so what else could I do but demonstrate your absurdity in a way that you would understand.?

I am stunned that you would bring zionism into a discussion about rural America..

For in fact the Israelis have destroyed tens of thousands of ancient olive trees.

This is Har Homa.

http://www.elca.org/~/media/Images/Our%20Faith%20In%20Action/Justice/Peace%20Not%20Walls/Har%20Homa%20%20%20Before%20and%20After.png

Mister D
11-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I am stunned that you would bring zionism into a discussion about rural America..

For in fact the Israelis have destroyed tens of thousands of ancient olive trees.

This is Har Homa.

http://www.elca.org/~/media/Images/Our Faith In Action/Justice/Peace Not Walls/Har Homa Before and After.png

A right cross has that effect. :smiley:

Cigar
11-12-2012, 03:34 PM

You do realize that Latinos are not the only immigrants.

roadmaster
11-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Who said they were? We just believe now to come here legal. We accept and swear in many every year from different countries. It's the ones who break the laws we have trouble with.

roadmaster
11-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I also happen to like most Latinos.

Mister D
11-12-2012, 03:41 PM

They all outcompete blacks for jobs. :afro:

Peter1469
11-12-2012, 07:16 PM

Oh sure. But they bring numbers.

Mister D
11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Oh sure. But they bring numbers.

When illegal immigration is factored in, Hispanics are a solid majority.

Mister D
11-12-2012, 07:19 PM
And a majority of Hispanics are Mexican.