PDA

View Full Version : Hamas and Israel Complete Prisoner Swap Including Gilad Schalit

Conley
10-18-2011, 01:26 PM
JERUSALEM — Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit and hundreds of Palestinians crossed Israel's borders in opposite directions on Tuesday as a thousand-for-one prisoner exchange brought joy to families but did little to ease decades of conflict.

Palestinians, awaiting the release of prisoners at a West Bank checkpoint, hurled rocks at Israeli soldiers, who responded with tear gas, after the military announced to the crowd over a loudspeaker that the group had been taken to another crossing.

In all, Israel is setting free 1,027 Palestinians in return for the liberty of Shalit. Some have spent 30 years behind bars for violent attacks against Israel and its occupation of land taken in the 1967 Middle East War.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44940342/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/?ocid=ansmsnbc11

Looks like Israel really wanted their guy back. I am surprised they were willing to give up so much. Why not just send in a Mossad team? Not sure. I bet he is one happy dude though.

MMC
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Methinks Israel does not want to pay for them all anymore.

Mister D
10-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Clues you in on who values human life more.

Conley
10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Methinks Israel does not want to pay for them all anymore.

:D True, that is a significant cost especially those who have been held for thirty years.

Conley
10-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Well, that and the suicide bombing :-\

Elibe
10-18-2011, 03:45 PM

why do you say that israel values life more? they have rounded up 1000s and 1000s of innocents

Mister D
10-18-2011, 05:29 PM

why do you say that israel values life more? they have rounded up 1000s and 1000s of innocents

Do they?

wingrider
10-18-2011, 11:23 PM
from what I understand most of those 1027 terrorists were responsible for truck bombs and various acts of espionage and murder, now 1027 have been freed for the release of ONE isreali soldier?? wow I hope this doesn't come back to bite isreal..

seems that they didn't think this out

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

Conley
10-18-2011, 11:44 PM
from what I understand most of those 1027 terrorists were responsible for truck bombs and various acts of espionage and murder, now 1027 have been freed for the release of ONE isreali soldier?? wow I hope this doesn't come back to bite isreal..

Wow, if that's true that really is scary. I did read some of them had been in prison for thirty years, so they must have done terrible things. It seems an odd exchange, no doubt.

wingrider
10-19-2011, 12:57 AM
this article gives a breakdown of who was released by the isreali government..

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-cabinet-approves-gilad-shalit-prisoner-swap-1.389468

she who must be obayed
10-19-2011, 07:37 AM

Looks to me like the Arabs got the better part of this deal, but given the fact that I sreal is a very percise killing machine,this great gesture will indeed come back to bite them in the but. Like they say no good deed goes unpunished.

Conley
10-19-2011, 08:44 AM
It's not like Netanyahu to make deals, especially of this magnitude.

I am still surprised they couldn't do a military op but the article says they felt it was impossible:

Cohen added that the Shin Bet supported the newly signed deal since releasing Shalit by means of military operation was deemed impossible.

"The security establishment finds this release very difficult," Cohen said, adding: "It's easier for me to be tough. We had no possibility or better way of releasing Shalit, so we backed the deal."

"It's not a good deal, but, on the other hand, it's the only way if we want to bring him home," the Shin Bet chief said, adding: "Hamas had to show flexibility as we did. What happened in Syria created instability and a need for Egyptian backup."