PDA

View Full Version : Are we headed for a second civil war?

Chris
08-22-2017, 10:55 AM
From the LA Times, Jesse Walker, whoever he is, Are we headed for a second civil war? (http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-walker-second-civil-war-20170820-story.html), but I take the answer from his Reason.com article, We Are Not on the Verge of a New Civil War (http://reason.com/blog/2017/08/21/we-are-not-on-the-verge-of-a-new-civil-w): "The red and the blue are not the blue and the gray."

[W]hile the country is filled with reliable Republican and Democratic voters, much of that reliability reflects what political scientists call "negative partisanship." Put simply, that means their votes are driven less by love for one party than by fear and hatred of the other one. In the last election, a large share of Donald Trump's support came from people who did not like him but found the prospect of a President Hillary Clinton more terrifying; much of Clinton's support came from people whose position was the exact opposite.

The atmosphere that produces negative partisanship can fuel a paranoid loathing of the other party's members. In its most concentrated form, it can drive people to aggressive violence. This is the sort of ill feeling that pundits invoke when they talk about a new civil war.

But that atmosphere also means that the two purportedly warring sides don't command as much loyalty as those red/blue maps imply....American politics are structured in a way that naturally tends toward two-party rule, but many Americans are clearly chafing at those constraints.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
--Yeats, "The Second Coming"

MisterVeritis
08-22-2017, 11:02 AM
I believe it will begin with a rebellion and, over time, become a civil war.

DGUtley
08-22-2017, 11:11 AM
I think that Antifa wants a civil war. The more the MSM aligns with and becomes associated with 'peace through violence' the closer we inch to civil war, imho.

Cletus
08-22-2017, 11:13 AM
I think that Antifa wants a civil war. The more the MSM aligns with and becomes associated with 'peace through violence' the closer we inch to civil war, imho.

I think that is a good assessment.

Chris
08-22-2017, 11:24 AM

I think that is a good assessment.

Agree. They want to create chaos so they can create tyranny in its vacuum. They are Marxists after all.

jimmyz
08-22-2017, 12:44 PM
There would be National Guard in the streets before there would be armed American against armed American in my estimation. There will be riots and I'm sure deaths from them in the meantime.

Chris
08-22-2017, 12:54 PM
There would be National Guard in the streets before there would be armed American against armed American in my estimation. There will be riots and I'm sure deaths from them in the meantime.

Agree, there will be riots, and, I think, mainly from the left. But the government will protect businesses and banks. OWS found that out.

rcfieldz
08-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Once people start blowing themselves up in crowds like terrorists or planting bombs like the Unabomber..maybe. But as long as the people throw their public tantrums disguised as marches no.

Chris
08-22-2017, 01:20 PM
Once people start blowing themselves up in crowds like terrorists or planting bombs like the Unabomber..maybe. But as long as the people throw their public tantrums disguised as marches no.

True, so far it's just been bottles, tear gas and fists flying. It gets blown up in the media.

MisterVeritis
08-22-2017, 02:53 PM
I would not be surprised to discover there are already small cells tracking down antifa thugs to kill them. We won't know. Each murder will look like a single crime. No one will take responsibility. But antifa's ranks will be thinned.

Chris
08-22-2017, 02:57 PM
True, so far it's just been bottles, tear gas and fists flying. It gets blown up in the media.

Oops. Man tries to bomb Confederate statue in Houston (https://www.conservativereview.com/articles/domestic-terror-man-tries-to-bomb-confederate-statue-in-houston): "A man has been arrested for trying to use explosives to blow up a statue of Confederate commander Richard Dowling at Hermann Park in Houston, Texas, over the weekend."

Meh, just a statue.

Ethereal
08-23-2017, 03:05 PM
The "union" is a fiction perpetuated by the ruling elites. The only question is when will Americans finally realize this?

Newpublius
08-23-2017, 06:55 PM
No actual Civil War, the only caveat would be if there was an economic collapse or something like that, but absent that, nothing worth grabbing our muskets and heading down to Manassas for some live ammo Civil War reenactments.

I read an article about a 'Cold Civil War' and that is actually happening now. The resentment is very real, palpable and the polarization is as well. We genuinely dislike each other.