PDA

View Full Version : The Equifax data breach

Peter1469
09-16-2017, 04:52 PM
The Equifax data breach (http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2017/09/heres_what_not_to_do_after_the.html)

So what are you guys doing about it? Over half of the US was subject to stolen data to one degree or another.

Have you frozen your credit? I am tempted. I don't think that I have any need for a credit check coming up soon, so it might be the best thing to do.

I have had my identity stolen several times before. Once that I know of through a commercial entity. Twice from government sources, and again through my health care.

I currently have two separate ID theft / fraud services. Not sure if they are worth it. Although if I was hit with a serious attack, both services will be contractually bound to help fix it.

Is anyone else watching this stuff?

MisterVeritis
09-16-2017, 04:54 PM
The Equifax data breach (http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2017/09/heres_what_not_to_do_after_the.html)

So what are you guys doing about it? Over half of the US was subject to stolen data to one degree or another.

Have you frozen your credit? I am tempted. I don't think that I have any need for a credit check coming up soon, so it might be the best thing to do.

I have had my identity stolen several times before. Once that I know of through a commercial entity. Twice from government sources, and again through my health care.

I currently have two separate ID theft / fraud services. Not sure if they are worth it. Although if I was hit with a serious attack, both services will be contractually bound to help fix it.

Is anyone else watching this stuff?
I was part of the Defense personnel breach. I already have significant monitoring.

Peter1469
09-16-2017, 05:02 PM
I was part of the Defense personnel breach. I already have significant monitoring.
Me too. I wonder if I should go further and freeze my credit.

MisterVeritis
09-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Me too. I wonder if I should go further and freeze my credit.
Interestingly, I had to freeze my medical records. Someone was changing my address in the system.

Peter1469
09-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Interestingly, I had to freeze my medical records. Someone was changing my address in the system.

That is a big target now. Hospitals have extremely poor IT security. Non-existent. And if someone uses your ID for healthcare they will hound you for payment even if you can show it was clear fraud.

Cthulhu
09-16-2017, 08:28 PM
That is a big target now. Hospitals have extremely poor IT security. Non-existent. And if someone uses your ID for healthcare they will hound you for payment even if you can show it was clear fraud.Burden of proof of on them to prove the debt though.

Which can be mighty difficult to do if you're smart.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Peter1469
09-16-2017, 08:37 PM
Burden of proof of on them to prove the debt though.

Which can be mighty difficult to do if you're smart.

It destroys your credit. That is the problem.

Tahuyaman
09-16-2017, 09:03 PM
This data breach finally motivated me to enlist the services of Life Lock. I really don't know what more I can do short of going off the grid.

Cthulhu
09-16-2017, 10:42 PM
It destroys your credit. That is the problem.Not a problem if you don't use it. Even so, wouldn't that constitute libel or defamation of character?

jimmyz
09-16-2017, 11:24 PM
I am waiting until i get the Equifax letter telling me I was one of the 158 million hacked accounts.

resister
09-16-2017, 11:49 PM
Go ahead, steal my identity, the joke is on you! Don't give a damn bout my bad reputation!

barb012
09-23-2017, 08:09 AM
People with any credit history should assume they were compromised regardless of what Equifax tells them. The problem here is that now they have all of addresses and most likely our e-mail addresses, we are vulnerable to fake letters that we believe are letters coming from the companies we do business wanted us to call and verify more information on us. These hackers in India have a large database on most of us here in the US and people in other countries that store every piece of information they accumulate with each company that is compromised as well as our browsing activity on the internet.

Peter1469
09-23-2017, 08:15 AM
We need stricter laws regarding ID theft. Lock them up for life.

barb012
09-23-2017, 08:25 AM
We need stricter laws regarding ID theft. Lock them up for life.

I am a victim of this breach and I cannot even tell the hell that I have been through because of it. I did my own research on this matter and I was shocked to learn that over 85% of US businesses had their systems compromised. The media is doing a poor job of informing us of what is really going on for fear it will disrupt our economy here.

Common
09-23-2017, 08:29 AM
All the countries that do our Customer service have access to all our information.

India, Phillipines, etc there is no privacy

barb012
09-23-2017, 08:39 AM
All the countries that do our Customer service have access to all our information.

India, Phillipines, etc there is no privacy

That is true and it is also true in war that a way to win it is the one that has all of personal and financial information as well as our daily activities on the internet. It is true that other countries have been stealing our information for a long time. The difference between then and now is our technology has made it so much easier to obtain large amounts of data that its implications should concern everyone.

Common
09-23-2017, 08:54 AM
I do my level best to protect my wife and I and our private data.
I have had lifelock for a long time, so long that we are grandfathered in a 14.00 a month for both of us. Lifelock works, its not infallible or fullproof but it saved us grief on 4 occaisions.