PDA

View Full Version : Adam Darwin

Chris
11-18-2012, 02:21 PM
This could prove a tricky topic since there are many preconceptions about both Smith and Darwin but a study of both will reveal that Darwin borrowed much of his theory of evolution from Smith's Theory of Moral Sentiments and The Wealth of nations. Here is a summary of a speech by Matt Ridley, author of Genome and more recently The Rational Optimist, titled "Adam Darwin."

One similarity is that evolution works in nature by a selective death rate. It is not a random process which leads some to survive and others not. The ones that make it are those with some mutation which increases their survival chances, even by a small amount. Nature can build up incredibly complex mechanisms through a series of minute changes which do this.

Those who succeed in the market are often those with an innovation that brings them an advantage. It might be new technology of new methods of achieving better productivity. The firms that fail are again, not the result of a random process, but those which lack the crucial advantage that innovation has brought to others.

In the world of nature sex plays an important role in mixing up combinations of genes so that innovations occur more frequently than would otherwise be the case. In the world of human activity there is an equivalent in which ideas can intermingle and interact, producing new combinations and innovations. The more trade, exchange, and contact there is, the more there are likely to be new ideas to be tried out. As in nature, the ones that bring advantages survive at the expense of those which do not.

Ridley stressed the co-operative nature of trade and exchange. Human beings exchange things to the advantage of both, and do so uniquely among groups which have no kin or tribe relationship. We co-operate with strangers to mutual advantage, and this has led to the extraordinary achievements that humanity has made.

From Adam Darwin (http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/economics/adam-darwin).

The speech hasn't been published that I can find. I do hope he clarified that evolution is not the progressive notion of survival of the fittest toward some sort of perfection, for the fittest that survive one environment, when that environment changes, may become unfit and extinct. Survival of the fitter is a better view of it.

KC
11-19-2012, 11:23 AM
This could prove a tricky topic since there are many preconceptions about both Smith and Darwin but a study of both will reveal that Darwin borrowed much of his theory of evolution from Smith's Theory of Moral Sentiments and The Wealth of nations. Here is a summary of a speech by Matt Ridley, author of Genome and more recently The Rational Optimist, titled "Adam Darwin."

From Adam Darwin (http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/economics/adam-darwin).

The speech hasn't been published that I can find. I do hope he clarified that evolution is not the progressive notion of survival of the fittest toward some sort of perfection, for the fittest that survive one environment, when that environment changes, may become unfit and extinct. Survival of the fitter is a better view of it.

Does it really show that Darwin borrowed from Smith though? Could just be that I have been raised in Western civilization where Smith and Darwin's contributions to their fields are so widely accepted, but to me both theories rely on a very intuitive premise, that those things (organizations or organism) that are better adapted to their environment are more likely to survive and possibly thrive.

Chris
11-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Daniel Dennett in The Design Fallacy Runs Deep (http://ideasmatter.typepad.com/ideas-matter/2010/11/daniel-dennett-the-design-fallacy.html) cites Stephen Jay Gould:, “the theory of natural selection is a creative transfer to biology of Adam Smith’s basic argument for a rational economy: the balance and order of nature does not arise from a higher, external (divine) control, or from the existence of laws operating directly upon the whole, but from struggle among individuals for their own benefits.”

Their ideas on spontaneous or natural order are both likely derived from earlier writers on natural law.

That basic premise is intuitive, what's counterinuitive is that simple rule accounts for so much.