Common
10-10-2017, 10:00 AM
There will be no rethinking columbus day here

Common
10-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Its time to re think MLK day

resister
10-10-2017, 10:08 AM
No, move somewhere else, if the US does not fit you and everything is offensive. How long until you people go after the Easter bunny?

Chris
10-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Why not add another holiday for Indigenous Peoples?

stjames1_53
10-10-2017, 11:40 AM
having several anthro classes, I wonder if the "shamed" people will actually let the Indians run it the way it should be run. Throw out the kachina dolls made in China, prepare foods the way Indians did.
So much of their culture has been destroyed that what they've managed to hang on to amounts to about 10-15 percent of their way of life.
I be they wont celebrate the fact that they were the first slaves owned in America. Whites don't like to talk about that.
Let the Indians decide what they want to do. They never wanted to be part of the European culture anyway and tried as hard as they could to distance themselves from that.
If those people want to do it right, give that time to the Indians to do what they want. Let them decide.
While it's a good idea, I wonder how much money non-Indians are going to rake in. Hot dogs, burgers, tofu..................vendors sell anything for a buck most of which has nothing to do with Indian history.

Hal Jordan
10-10-2017, 12:00 PM
See, that's my thought. Why sully it by associating it with Christopher Columbus? In fact, I think each area could stand to have a holiday to honor each tribe from that area. I think the country owes more to them than someone that "discovered" a place that had been discovered multiple times before.

Chris
10-10-2017, 12:04 PM
See, that's my thought. Why sully it by associating it with Christopher Columbus? In fact, I think each area could stand to have a holiday to honor each tribe from that area. I think the country owes more to them than someone that "discovered" a place that had been discovered multiple times before.

Right, it could be a general holiday but each locality honor it as they see fit.

Hal Jordan
10-10-2017, 12:12 PM
having several anthro classes, I wonder if the "shamed" people will actually let the Indians run it the way it should be run. Throw out the kachina dolls made in China, prepare foods the way Indians did.
So much of their culture has been destroyed that what they've managed to hang on to amounts to about 10-15 percent of their way of life.
I be they wont celebrate the fact that they were the first slaves owned in America. Whites don't like to talk about that.
Let the Indians decide what they want to do. They never wanted to be part of the European culture anyway and tried as hard as they could to distance themselves from that.
If those people want to do it right, give that time to the Indians to do what they want. Let them decide.
While it's a good idea, I wonder how much money non-Indians are going to rake in. Hot dogs, burgers, tofu..................vendors sell anything for a buck most of which has nothing to do with Indian history.
See, that's another thing, if you're going to do it, do it right. A celebration with their food, insights to their cultural history, etc. Don't give me the whole cultural appropriation thing. That idea actually destroys culture. Culture was always meant to be shared and spread.

Mister D
10-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Everyone gets a trophy...:rollseyes:

Mister D
10-10-2017, 12:30 PM
When historians say Columbus "discovered" America they don't mean he was the first human being to lay eyes on it. They mean he brought it into contact with the rest of the world creating the conditions for a true global exchange. Columbus is an extremely important historical figure. That's why there is a holiday honoring his achievements. And, no, the country owes virtually nothing to illiterate Stone Age tribes.

Tahuyaman
10-10-2017, 01:12 PM
When the white European man stepped on what is now American soil, the indigenous people had not yet even invented the wheel. That's incredible when you think about it.

Perianne
10-10-2017, 01:15 PM
When the white European man stepped on what is now American soil, the indigenous people had not yet even invented the wheel. That's incredible when you think about it.

Chris
10-10-2017, 01:22 PM
When historians say Columbus "discovered" America they don't mean he was the first human being to lay eyes on it. They mean he brought it into contact with the rest of the world creating the conditions for a true global exchange. Columbus is an extremely important historical figure. That's why there is a holiday honoring his achievements. And, no, the country owes virtually nothing to illiterate Stone Age tribes.

That's a good point.

It's also important to point out he failed in his mission for Spanish monarchy at the time, 1492 and thereabouts, actually sought a sea rout to the Orient. That took another 40 yeas when in 1527 Alvarado Saavedra y Seron sailed from the Mexican port of Zihuantanejo, near Ixtapa, to the Phillipines., and another two decades before a return route was found to establish an Acapulco-Manilla connection.

From Jack Weatherford's Savages and Cilization.

Mister D
10-10-2017, 01:45 PM
That's a good point.

It's also important to point out he failed in his mission for Spanish monarchy at the time, 1492 and thereabouts, actually sought a sea rout to the Orient. That took another 40 yeas when in 1527 Alvarado Saavedra y Seron sailed from the Mexican port of Zihuantanejo, near Ixtapa, to the Phillipines., and another two decades before a return route was found to establish an Acapulco-Manilla connection.

From Jack Weatherford's Savages and Cilization.
True. The Crown wasn't particularly excited about the discoveries at first. Although it held promise it remained peripheral for a number of years.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that, for all their avarice and cruelty (very much exaggerated), these guys were the 16th Century equivalent of our astronauts except they had no support system. There was no radioing Houston. They were on their own. "Honey, I'm going on a boat trip. Not exactly sure where. See you in 10 months."