PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio's income inequality can be seen clearly through zip codes

Chris
10-13-2017, 11:19 AM
San Antonio's income inequality can be seen clearly through zip codes (http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/inequality-san-antonios-silent-crisis)

..."I would invite my sisters and brothers who live on that other part of town to say hey, there is a responsibility here to take care of these children, these families, who are dreaming the same kinds of dreams your kids dream,” Pastor Mueller says.

He holds his hands mere inches apart. “But [these children] only have this many options in front of them,” Pastor Mueller explains. He then extends his arms outward. “When your kids have this many,” he demonstrates the disparity.

A sign the city is ready to confront this silent crisis: recently, leaders renamed the Diversity and Inclusion Office to the first-ever Office of Equity. They also appointed the first-ever Chief Equity Officer, Kiran Bains.

“Equity means fairness and delivering services and a budget that is based on need,” Bains says. “Equity, then, is different than equality, which means sameness.”

In short, it's not your responsibility, it's the city's.

Mini Me
10-13-2017, 12:49 PM
You should have seen San Antonio during the 50's! I grew up there. Eleven Mexican gangs dominated, and there were white gangs to counter the danger posed by them. Poverty was endemic, people living in cardboard boxes, and open feilds, not even shanties to live in. The River walk was dangerous place to be as gangs loitered there(I was chased by a gang there), and there was "Little Africa" a black ghetto on the East side of town. HS students would dump some kid off there on a saturday night, and he'd never be seen again!

Breckenridge Park overflowed with Mexicans, and no white person could be there! SA was 85% latino back then. And integration was in full force.

Chris
10-13-2017, 01:10 PM
You should have seen San Antonio during the 50's! I grew up there. Eleven Mexican gangs dominated, and there were white gangs to counter the danger posed by them. Poverty was endemic, people living in cardboard boxes, and open feilds, not even shanties to live in. The River walk was dangerous place to be as gangs loitered there(I was chased by a gang there), and there was "Little Africa" a black ghetto on the East side of town. HS students would dump some kid off there on a saturday night, and he'd never be seen again!

Breckenridge Park overflowed with Mexicans, and no white person could be there! SA was 85% latino back then. And integration was in full force.

Not much has changed, except the northside has grown a lot.

Mini Me
10-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Not much has changed, except the northside has grown a lot.

Do they still have the Ice Houses there? They were like open patio beer gardens within a convenience store!
A unique Texas thing, and were the neighborhood gossip centers! Very cool!

You could drink a cold beer while the kids loaded your guns, and bought cherry bombs and M-80s to play with! Hehe

Captain Obvious
10-13-2017, 02:06 PM
And, "equality" usually means from someone who earned/produced it to someone who refused to.

Chris
10-13-2017, 02:13 PM
And, "equality" usually means from someone who earned/produced it to someone who refused to.

Equals unequal treatment.

Mini Me
10-13-2017, 02:14 PM
S.A. was about the cleanest city you ever saw! There were huge fines for littering. And trees everywhere! The zoo at Breckenridege was top notch! They had a giant anaconda snake there that oneday broke the glass and freaked people out! And an enormous Tarantula that was 16 years old, named Gertie.There were many servicemen always around and that's the only time you felt safe downtown. And the huge Majestic Theater was a site to behold.Three balconies, and a moving sky overhead. All the seats on the ground floor were empty because the animals would shower pee down on the white folks below! And you better be armed when you went to use the john, That's where a Pachuco gang flashed their blades on us kids, and chased us all the way down to the River Walk!

Chris
10-13-2017, 02:19 PM
S.A. was about the cleanest city you ever saw! There were huge fines for littering. And trees everywhere! The zoo at Breckenridege was top notch! They had a giant anaconda snake there that oneday broke the glass and freaked people out! And an enormous Tarantula that was 16 years old, named Gertie.There were many servicemen always around and that's the only time you felt safe downtown. And the huge Majestic Theater was a site to behold.Three balconies, and a moving sky overhead. All the seats on the ground floor were empty because the animals would shower pee down on the white folks below! And you better be armed when you went to use the john, That's where a Pachuco gang flashed their blades on us kids, and chased us all the way down to the River Walk!

The gangs are still here, but more controlled. I hear they run Bexar County jail.

Captain Obvious
10-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Equals unequal treatment.

This model is not long term sustainable.

Mini Me
10-13-2017, 02:38 PM
What was that huge department store near the Alamo? It was a fantastic place!

And what did people think when Ozzie pissed on the Alamo?

Chris
10-13-2017, 02:46 PM
What was that huge department store near the Alamo? It was a fantastic place!

And what did people think when Ozzie pissed on the Alamo?

Rivercenter Mall. I like the mariachi bands that play down by the water.

Ozzie, that was 30 years ago.

Tahuyaman
10-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Correct.

Generally the achievers have an income greater than the non achievers. They tend to live in nicer homes in more affluent neighborhoods too.

Also, people don't become those achievers by accident. An electrical engineer or a doctor generally has a higher income than a janitor or construction laborer.

You know what else? That same janitor or construction laborer generally has a greater income than a dishwasher at the local Denny's. Is that also income inequality?

I guess some people don't understand why that is the case?

donttread
10-14-2017, 04:56 AM
San Antonio's income inequality can be seen clearly through zip codes (http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/inequality-san-antonios-silent-crisis)

In short, it's not your responsibility, it's the city's.

This is what the NFL kneelers could do. Move into the hood and live amongt your "oppressed brothers" . And proudly display your trophies, contract settlement articles, jewlery, SB rings etc. Oh ya and just to be part of the real experience no security for either you or your "bitches and hos"

Mini Me
10-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Chris, what about the Icehouses?

I assume they no longer exist.

Chris
10-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Chris, what about the Icehouses?

I assume they no longer exist.

Nah, still some around, ice cold beer anyhow.

Chris
10-14-2017, 08:48 AM
This is what the NFL kneelers could do. Move into the hood and live amongt your "oppressed brothers" . And proudly display your trophies, contract settlement articles, jewlery, SB rings etc. Oh ya and just to be part of the real experience no security for either you or your "bitches and hos"

The basketball players live on the rich northside mostly, up in The Dominion.

donttread
10-14-2017, 12:30 PM
The basketball players live on the rich northside mostly, up in The Dominion.

I'm sure. That was kinda my point.