PDA

View Full Version : Arizona restaurant closes it's doors - why businesses should stay out of politics

Dr. Who
10-16-2017, 08:27 PM
An Arizona restaurant was forced to close its doors indefinitely this week after a politically charged Facebook post the eatery’s owners wrote prompted mass criticism from social media users.

Christopher Smith and Jay Warren, the owners of Cup it Up American Grill in Tucson, posted a statement on the restaurant’s social media page last week with a list of things the two support and resent, including the president, kneeling for the anthem and late night hosts, Vice News (https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/j5g7a8/pro-trump-anti-global-warming-facebook-post-leads-to-restaurants-closure?utm_source=vicefbus) reported.

The post stated: "We believe in and support 100% in the following: OUR President, Always Standing for the National Anthem, repealing Obama Care…”

The post, which went viral, was met with widespread backlash and criticism, forcing the restaurant to delete it and all its social media accounts.

The restaurant received “so many angry phone calls” that several employees chose to quit, reports say.

"People threatened to burn down the restaurant with the owners in it. It's a crazy world we're in," Ron Sanchez, whose daughter worked at the eatery, told ABC15 (http://www.abc15.com/news/national/cup-it-up-restaurant-closed-indefinitely-after-political-fb-post-backfires)."

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/10/14/arizona-restaurant-closes-following-backlash-from-its-pro-trump-facebook-post.html

The restaurant owner apparently forgot that they were located at the University of Arizona.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2017, 08:38 PM
It's an angry, divided world out there.

And it isn't changing anytime soon.

Dr. Who
10-16-2017, 08:44 PM

I have to admit that arson and death threats are unforgiveable. Social media can be brutal, which is why businesses should not paint a target on their livelihood by expressing politics openly. People are not rational these days.

Chris
10-16-2017, 08:45 PM

Shut up, you're not supposed to stand for anything!

From link but omitted:

Ericka Ayup, a regular customer of the restaurant, told ABC 15 the post was not “smart” but respected their opinion.

"I respected their decision to speak up and be patriotic whether people agree or not," Ayup told ABC 15. "It wasn't smart for them to do what they did from a business aspect especially being down here in the University -- which is more liberal and young."

Trish
10-16-2017, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear that they had to close their business but based on their lists I'm sure they understand and accept personal responsibility and that actions have consequences.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2017, 08:50 PM
I have to admit that arson and death threats are unforgiveable. Social media can be brutal, which is why businesses should not paint a target on their livelihood by expressing politics openly. People are not rational these days.

What's funny is that the left (not you specifically) will cheer this story but dismiss NFL boycotts.

Trish
10-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Shut up, you're not supposed to stand for anything!

From link but omitted:

I think it may have been recoverable had they not dared those who didn't agree to share with a 100 of their friends. It was definitely sticking it in the opposition's face.

I still think it's terrible that they've had to close their doors.

Dr. Who
10-16-2017, 08:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear that they had to close their business but based on their lists I'm sure they understand and accept personal responsibility and that actions have consequences.
In some places in America, that list would have brought in customers - not at most Universities. However, no matter what, it's risky. There are crazy people out there.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2017, 08:54 PM
I think it may have been recoverable had they not dared those who didn't agree to share with a 100 of their friends. It was definitely sticking it in the opposition's face.

You're too nice.

Don't you ever go chainsaw, just snap and lose it?

Trish
10-16-2017, 08:57 PM
You're too nice.

Don't you ever go chainsaw, just snap and lose it?

Hahahaha - I can lose my cool but it's mostly on issues like child or animal abuse and some women issues.

Trish
10-16-2017, 08:59 PM
In some places in America, that list would have brought in customers - not at most Universities. However, no matter what, it's risky. There are crazy people out there.

Yeah - they obviously didn't know their clientele very well. I don't think I would even venture onto the campus scene these days. It's become far too radical imo. I'm sure each generation has their hiccups.

Dr. Who
10-16-2017, 09:03 PM

Terrible both for them, their employees and all of those who enjoyed the restaurant. I wonder whether the police are investigating the death/arson threats? No matter how busy the police are, the people who make those kinds of threats need to be arrested.

Dr. Who
10-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Yeah - they obviously didn't know their clientele very well. I don't think I would even venture onto the campus scene these days. It's become far too radical imo. I'm sure each generation has their hiccups.
I think people think that they are anonymous making these kinds of threats and chances are they are just for effect. Social media seems to lend itself to over the top behavior with relative immunity. I don't think it's an improvement from a social point of view.

Dr. Who
10-16-2017, 09:14 PM
What's funny is that the left (not you specifically) will cheer this story but dismiss NFL boycotts.

I'm not cheering this story. I think that it's very unfortunate but perhaps instructive to other businesses who feel compelled to take FB or Twitter.

jimmyz
10-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Tell the owners to pack-up and move north near me and set-up shop near Luke Air Force base in the Phoenix area. Put their beliefs as stated on Facebook on the menus and the dining room wall. They will prosper.

HoneyBadger
10-17-2017, 12:20 AM
It's always a risk when you politicize your business. Our biz is apolitical. We don't give a shit if you're a raving leftist as long as you pay your bill on time. On the other hand, if you put up RESIST tshirts in your window, I'll probably skip your shop.

AZ Jim
10-17-2017, 12:53 AM
It's not right but it is a fact that some innocent acts often bring bad consequences. It's why it is not smart to plaster political stickers on your vehicle or home.

Kacper
10-17-2017, 01:53 AM
If the business went under in the course of one week, my guess is they had other issues.

Standing Wolf
10-17-2017, 02:45 AM

C.O., I'm not understanding this post at all. First of all, what's to "cheer"? Some business owners made a very poor decision and suffered the consequences. As for the "NFL boycotts" - what does dismissing them mean, exactly? Saying they're not important? Thinking they're unwarranted? Are there a lot of people boycotting pro football these days? Were you just taking the opportunity to poke "the left" for the heck of it, or did you have an actual point?

Chris
10-17-2017, 08:24 AM

You're right, they did a stupid thing to declare their conservatism in an intolerant liberal university town.

TBH, I can't imagine the reverse to be true. Recall that gay coffeeshop owner who flew his freak flag and kicked out his conservative customers. From the video I don't think they cared that he was a liberal playing identity politics.

rcfieldz
10-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Communism is creeping into the American free society by masking itself as freedoms that are unholy. The Thought police are coming for you next!