PDA

View Full Version : Apple now owns the "page turn"

Kizzume
11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/apple-now-owns-the-page-turn/?ref=global-home

If you want to know just how broken the patent system is, just look at patent D670,713, filed by Apple and approved this week by the United States Patent Office.

This design patent, titled, “Display screen or portion thereof with animated graphical user interface,” gives Apple the exclusive rights to the page turn in an e-reader application.

Yes, that’s right. Apple now owns the page turn. You know, as when you turn a page with your hand. An “interface” that has been around for hundreds of years in physical form. I swear I’ve seen similar animation in Disney or Warner Brothers cartoons.

(This is where readers are probably checking the URL of this article to make sure it’s The New York Times and not The Onion.)

Yeah, the Onion is what I first thought when I saw this, but it's not, Apple is actually that full of themselves. Ugh.

Conley
11-25-2012, 07:03 PM
That's just going too far. From what I've seen Apple has a history of going after these kinds of patents, its too bad its being rewarded -- stifles competition and a free market

Sometimes it seems like most things in our society are decided by who has the better (and more expensive) lawyers