PDA

View Full Version : Students Crashed College Republicans' Meeting at UC-Santa Cruz, Demanded Shutdown

Chris
10-20-2017, 03:52 PM
This is getting seriously crazy.

Students Crashed College Republicans' Meeting at UC-Santa Cruz, Demanded Shutdown (http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/20/students-crashed-a-college-republicans-m)

Activist students at the University of California at Santa Cruz reject the "right of assembly" and "right of free speech" when it comes to white supremacists and fascists. In their view, this includes the College Republicans.

And so, the students crashed a CR meeting in the basement of a campus library earlier this week. The CRs attempted to have a dialogue with the protesters, but the protesters maintained that "dialogue is violence" and that the CRs' mere presence in the library was an explicit threat against marginalized students and act of violence. The protesters even asked library staff to evict the CRs from the building, according to Campus Reform.

After two hours, the police involved themselves, and three of the protesters were arrested. The CRs have also asked UC-Santa Cruz's student government to sanction the protesters, since two of them were in fact members of the student government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcTJ-YgjfYw

TBH, it reminds me of the actions of some members this morning going into the afternoon.

Mister D
10-20-2017, 03:55 PM
"dialogue is violence"

WOW

Chris
10-20-2017, 04:16 PM
"dialogue is violence"

WOW

Indeed, that is what stood out for me as well. It is a strange thing to say. In the video, it comes across not as he thinks that their, the campus reps's dialog is violent, but as if he is asserting his dialog is violent.

Go back to the gay coffee shop owner. He too seems to envision dialog as something violent, as silencing opposition, as overpowering them.

Go back to videos about various campus confrontations, they're all the same. It's a power trip.

MisterVeritis
10-20-2017, 04:23 PM
The Left has become rabid. What does one do with a rabid animal? One puts it down as gently as possible.

jimmyz
10-20-2017, 04:42 PM
They do their cause no justice in acting-out like this. 'If it feels good do it' doesn't apply to disruptive behavior. They should have set up a debate with the Campus Republicans that could be attended by the student body like it was done back in the day.

Chris
10-20-2017, 04:45 PM
They do their cause no justice in acting-out like this. 'If it feels good do it' doesn't apply to disruptive behavior. They should have set up a debate with the Campus Republicans that could be attended by the student body like it was done back in the day.

But disruption, violence with dialog is, I think, their cause.

Think Antifa.

Underlying this postmodern, what, nihilism, is an old Marxist fight against oppression couple with a new identitarian slant to the old class struggle.

jimmyz
10-20-2017, 09:34 PM
But disruption, violence with dialog is, I think, their cause.

Think Antifa.

Underlying this postmodern, what, nihilism, is an old Marxist fight against oppression couple with a new identitarian slant to the old class struggle.

That last sentence sounds like a good masters thesis as long as I can define what identitarian means.

Chris
10-20-2017, 10:26 PM
That last sentence sounds like a good masters thesis as long as I can define what identitarian means.

LOL, identitarian is one who plays identity politics.

Kalkin
10-20-2017, 11:04 PM
The Left has become rabid. What does one do with a rabid animal? One puts it down as gently as possible.

Replace "gently" with "quickly" and I agree.

Croft
10-20-2017, 11:14 PM
They've been bigots since the 90s when they took over the universities. They're just more and more open about it now. They hate free speech as it means people might not be completely under their brain washing so they label people as fascist so that the then have the right, the duty, to silence them. They of course reserve the right to decide who is and isn't fascist. They are like marxists. For those tyrannical pricks the fight was always against the fascista as they silenced anyone who wasn't ... well...them.

Chris
10-22-2017, 01:29 PM
"dialogue is violence"

WOW

Indeed, that is what stood out for me as well. It is a strange thing to say. In the video, it comes across not as he thinks that their, the campus reps's dialog is violent, but as if he is asserting his dialog is violent.

Go back to the gay coffee shop owner. He too seems to envision dialog as something violent, as silencing opposition, as overpowering them.

Go back to videos about various campus confrontations, they're all the same. It's a power trip.

Here's another example from http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/23/donald-trump-first-president-turn-postmodernism/:

...Provided that the postmodern man believes in nothing and values nothing, one wouldn’t be unreasonable in concluding that he cares about nothing. But anyone who knows postmodern man also knows that nothing could be farther from the truth. Rather, the “cult of non-discrimination” is filled with bright-eyed idealism about making the world a better place, and in the cases where it challenges baseless prejudice, it does make the world a better place. Like other utopian visions that seek to remake human beings into something alien to their nature, however, it is incapable of compromise, and thus lends itself to hypocrisy and fanaticism.

This hypocrisy is evident in the selective application of PC outrage. The disingenuousness of much “offense” taken is perhaps best exemplified by MSNBC, a self-appointed watchman against prejudice of all kinds in American life, repeatedly failing to live up to the very standards that it sets for others.

...PC’s selectivity was on vivid display during one of the first protests that swept American colleges in late 2015. During a public demonstration at Claremont McKenna College in response to a private email from the school’s dean that allegedly implied non-white students don’t fit the school’s mold, students gathered to publicly discuss their own experiences dealing with racial prejudice in America. When a Chinese student took the bullhorn to talk about her own experience with discrimination at the hands of a group of black men, however, the protesters cringed and ushered her away.

When she attempted to clarify her point, one protester turned the bullhorn on her: “you’re getting derailed, alright, you’re losing sight of the movement!” Evidently unbeknown to the Chinese student, broadening the discussion to her own experience was a distraction from the demonstration’s goal: intimidating the school’s administration into doing what the protesters wanted. For that she was forcibly silenced.

"...she was forcibly silenced."

Tahuyaman
10-25-2017, 03:02 PM
The left supports silencing a point of view in the name of freedom of speech. Book burnings in the name of freedom of information can't be far off.

Cthulhu
10-25-2017, 07:50 PM
The Left has become rabid. What does one do with a rabid animal? One puts it down as gently as possible.Nah... With s much prejudice as humanly possible.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Dr. Who
10-25-2017, 10:02 PM
The left supports silencing a point of view in the name of freedom of speech. Book burnings in the name of freedom of information can't be far off.
Those 3 or 4 students don't represent the left, they represent themselves. I think they're off their meds.

Tahuyaman
10-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Those 3 or 4 students don't represent the left, they represent themselves. I think they're off their meds.

Incidents like this are common. They have become the norm on nearly every public university campus. They are a perfect representation of modern liberalism.