PDA

View Full Version : Do you take medication for mental illness?

Adelaide
11-27-2012, 01:54 AM
The thread (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/9007-Gender-stereotypes-and-Depression) currently going on in the Gender/Sexuality/Race section about gender stereotypes and depression brought up overmedication, or rather the misdiagnosis of individuals for the profit of pharmaceutical companies. I'm curious as to how many people here take medication for mental illnesses?

It'll be a private poll, but feel free to give your experience if you wish.

Do you think as a society we are being overmedicated?

Calypso Jones
11-27-2012, 09:19 AM
yes. people. Come right ahead and participate in this poll. LOL

Adelaide
11-27-2012, 03:35 PM
yes. people. Come right ahead and participate in this poll. LOL

Are you being sarcastic?

I just thought it might be interesting to see percentages on the members and to discuss overmedication or misdiagnosis in relation to the boom in those areas of medicine.

Conley
11-27-2012, 03:37 PM
not sarcastic, just caustic

Conley
11-27-2012, 03:37 PM
I took prozac back in college for depression. I'm not sure if it helped or not. Talking with a therapist and group therapy helped a lot I think.

Calypso Jones
11-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Sarcaustic. People. Not even, especially on the internet should one discuss their medications and conditions. I don't know but i think that could potentially be very destructive.....to you. But HEY. Let it all hang out.

Cigar
11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
I just light up a Cigar ... and I immediately mellow out. :grin:

Conley
11-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Sarcaustic :grin: I like that, I'm stealing it.

Adelaide
11-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Sarcaustic. People. Not even, especially on the internet should one discuss their medications and conditions. I don't know but i think that could potentially be very destructive.....to you. But HEY. Let it all hang out.

There is a major difference between intelligent conversation and talking about experiences in relation to legitimate problem in the medical community and providing Web MD symptom checking services, (which I seriously get a kick out of - I had a headache once and use it and it told me I had the plague).

Peter1469
11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
I think we are greatly over medicated as a society, and not just in mental illness.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:06 PM
I took prozac back in college for depression. I'm not sure if it helped or not. Talking with a therapist and group therapy helped a lot I think.

It's truly too bad that the medical community is more inclined to just prescribe medication than to offer alternative therapies, such as talk therapy or group therapy. It's cheaper and it's more beneficial to pharmaceutical companies to push drugs and just neglect to actually address the issues causing the depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues.

KC
11-28-2012, 10:18 PM

I think that's why the poll is anonymous, CJ.

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Adelaide. Are you in the mental health industry?

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Adelaide. Are you in the mental health industry?

Not sure why that would matter, but technically yes.

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:28 PM
well of course that matters.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:29 PM
I think that's why the poll is anonymous, CJ.

Also because there is a stigma associated with mental illness and taking medication, so by making it private it allows members to vote without worry.

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:32 PM
nothing is private especially on the internet.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:34 PM
nothing is private especially on the internet.

Thanks for stating the obvious, but the members here will not know how the others vote unless they reveal it.

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Well I voted no, just so everyone knows.