PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy Professor Tells Bisexual Student Who Criticized Islam 'We're Not Going...

Chris
11-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Right here in my backyard practically at the University of Texas--San Antonio, identity politics!

Philosophy Professor Tells Bisexual Student Who Criticized Islam 'We're Not Going to Let You Damage the Program' (http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/30/philosophy-bisexual-islam-ut-san-antonio)

A bisexual male student at the University of Texas–San Antonio said during an informal conversation outside class that he was uncomfortable with Islam because people still receive the death penalty for being gay in 10 Muslim-majority countries.

For expressing this thought, the student—Alfred MacDonald, who no longer attends the school—was instructed to meet with the chair of the philosophy department, Eve Browning. Prof. Browning told MacDonald in no uncertain terms that he had committed the crime of "offending" someone, and she warned him that his habit of saying what he thinks could bring down the entire program. She threatened to call the Behavior Intervention Team and refer MacDonald to counseling. She did everything but send him to Room 101.

Unfortunately for Browning, MacDonald secretly recorded their conversation. The transcript, first publicized by Gay Star News, is incredible.

"We have not designed our program to tolerate these behaviors," Brown tells MacDonald at one point. Later she adds, "We're not going to let you damage the program."

resister
11-01-2017, 10:10 AM
But, but...we have to scour the internet, long and hard to find such, university loons!

Common Sense
11-01-2017, 10:18 AM
But, but...we have to scour the internet, long and hard to find such, university loons!

You don't have to. Reason and Townhall do it for you.

resister
11-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Evidently, they are not that hard to find! How do you feel about what our schools are becoming?

Captain Obvious
11-01-2017, 10:22 AM
You will be assimilated

Resistance is futile

Chris
11-01-2017, 10:33 AM
You will be assimilated

Resistance is futile

But #resistance is futile! :D

Chris
11-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Do you think attacking the source comments on what the professor said and did?

Common Sense
11-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Do you think attacking the source comments on what the professor said and did?

I think anecdotes are awesome.

Chris
11-01-2017, 11:31 AM
I think anecdotes are awesome.

What anecdotes. The OP reports what happened and what was said. Do you not see a problem with such extreme PC? Do you not see how different identity groups turn against each other? Please address the OP.

Standing Wolf
11-01-2017, 11:32 AM
I read a story awhile back about a public school teacher who gave students in her classes special attention and advantages if they came to Sunday School at her church. Should I infer from this that all teachers who are professed Christians do similarly, or assume that they approve of what she did? If any appreciable number or percentage of Philosophy professors engaged in or approved of such muzzling tactics, we would hear a story like this every week. We don't.

Chris
11-01-2017, 11:36 AM
I read a story awhile back about a public school teacher who gave students in her classes special attention and advantages if they came to Sunday School at her church. Should I infer from this that all teachers who are professed Christians do similarly, or assume that they approve of what she did? If any appreciable number or percentage of Philosophy professors engaged in or approved of such muzzling tactics, we would hear a story like this every week. We don't.

No one made any generalizations about the professor in the OP to other or all professors. It is part of postmodern group identity politics that is fairly widespread on campuses these days. We have seen similar reports.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Do you have any thoughts on the substance of this story or would you rather impugn those who report such incidents?

Tahuyaman
11-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Why are you creating a diversion from the story here?

nathanbforrest45
11-01-2017, 12:38 PM

The difference is I am sure the teacher in your exhibit was sanctioned by the school. The professor in the OP's exhibit was not.

Standing Wolf
11-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Why are you creating a diversion from the story here?

The "conservative" reaction to the OP is to assume that such incidents are frequent, or even typical. To wit:

Evidently, they are not that hard to find! How do you feel about what our schools are becoming?

What, exactly, would you want or expect my reaction to this story to be, T? Assuming that the story happened as described, the professor was clearly wrong. I personally can't think of anyone I know who would think otherwise. Happy?

The difference is I am sure the teacher in your exhibit was sanctioned by the school. The professor in the OP's exhibit was not.

How do you know? I was only able to find reference to this incident on two websites, both of the right-wing variety. I seriously doubt that any criticism of the professor from the school or her colleagues, let alone any sanctions taken against her, would have been reported there.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2017, 12:59 PM
These incidents of trying to silence views are in fact quite common in our universities. Standing Wolf, are you claiming that they are not common?

Chris
11-01-2017, 01:06 PM
The "conservative" reaction to the OP is to assume that such incidents are frequent, or even typical. To wit:

What, exactly, would you want or expect my reaction to this story to be, T? Assuming that the story happened as described, the professor was clearly wrong. I personally can't think of anyone I know who would think otherwise. Happy?

How do you know? I was only able to find reference to this incident on two websites, both of the right-wing variety. I seriously doubt that any criticism of the professor from the school or her colleagues, let alone any sanctions taken against her, would have been reported there.

Sorry, but you're the one overgeneralizing here. These PC incidents are frequent but I don't know if I would characterize them as typical.

What, exactly, would you want or expect my reaction to this story to be, T? Assuming that the story happened as described, the professor was clearly wrong. I personally can't think of anyone I know who would think otherwise.

Yes, that.

Once the problem is acknowledged, discussion can pursue solutions.

Standing Wolf
11-01-2017, 01:44 PM
These incidents of trying to silence views are in fact quite common in our universities. @Standing Wolf (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1791), are you claiming that they are not common?

I think that you believe they are "quite common in our universities" because that is what you wish to believe. It suits your worldview and your sense of persecution.

Tahuyaman
11-01-2017, 01:49 PM
I think that you believe they are "quite common in our universities" because that is what you wish to believe. It suits your worldview and your sense of persecution.
Are you claiming that these incidents are uncommon?

Chris
11-01-2017, 02:13 PM

That quite a postmodern view, to believe criticizing the professor is all about oppression (persecution) and just a matter of personal worldview.

Standing Wolf
11-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Are you claiming that these incidents are uncommon?

There are more than 4,000 accredited colleges and universities in the United States. If this kind of academic dimwittedness were happening every day at even a fraction of them, and if even a small percentage of the students involved were making their complaints public, we would be hearing stories like this every day of the year. We don't. So, yes, these incidents are uncommon.

Agent Zero
11-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Right here in my backyard practically at the University of Texas--San Antonio, identity politics!

Philosophy Professor Tells Bisexual Student Who Criticized Islam 'We're Not Going to Let You Damage the Program' (http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/30/philosophy-bisexual-islam-ut-san-antonio)

I wonder if the Pamela Geller crowd would be as upset about this if he said he was uncomfortable around a fundamentalist Christian student over their hatred and violence towards the lgbtq crowd in our own country?

Tahuyaman
11-01-2017, 09:33 PM
There are more than 4,000 accredited colleges and universities in the United States. If this kind of academic dimwittedness were happening every day at even a fraction of them, and if even a small percentage of the students involved were making their complaints public, we would be hearing stories like this every day of the year. We don't. So, yes, these incidents are uncommon.

These incidents are regular happenings across the country. If you can honestly claim these incident are uncommon, you are intentionally ignoring them.

We can hear about them every day. The only reason we don't is that they are so common they are no longer news.

Standing Wolf
11-02-2017, 05:30 AM
These incidents are regular happenings across the country. If you can honestly claim these incident are uncommon, you are intentionally ignoring them.

We can hear about them every day. The only reason we don't is that they are so common they are no longer news.

Nonsense. The media's life blood is conflict and controversy. If this type of incident were happening with anything like the frequency that you quite obviously wish for it to be happening, we would be hearing about it.

Common
11-02-2017, 05:39 AM
Only way to get the "NEWS" the "american" left wing press wont print

Common
11-02-2017, 05:40 AM
Nonsense. The media's life blood is conflict and controversy. If this type of incident were happening with anything like the frequency that you quite obviously wish for it to be happening, we would be hearing about it.

It happens regularly, you need to read more and get up to date

Common
11-02-2017, 05:44 AM

Thats true the but heres the caveat it does happend nearly every day and thats just those that are exposed. There is every indication there are many more that go unnoticed.

There are professors being suspended and reprimanded regularly for twitter and facebook and instagram statements that are never reported by main stream media that most people dont get to read about.

There are professors giving constant cable news interviews making WHACKY out right stupid comments and statements.

The majority do not but that does not negate that theres far too many that do and they are always Progressive liberals. Its proof enough that many of our youth are being indoctrinated

Standing Wolf
11-02-2017, 06:01 AM
It happens regularly, you need to read more and get up to date

A lot of things "happen regularly", C. The question you have to ask yourself is, does it happen with the kind of regularity that makes it a major problem? In other words, how many times does it happen versus how many times does it not? A child eleven and under dies from a gunshot wound in America about every other week, and there are people who want to use statistics like that to their political advantage...ignoring the fact that in a country with hundreds of millions of legally owned firearms, such incidents are - as cold as it sounds - statistically insignificant. As I noted before, there are more than 4,000 accredited colleges and universities in this country, and God only knows how many individuals teaching at them. If we heard a new story like this every day of the week - we don't - it still would not in any way support the purely political accusation that U.S. colleges are "going to Hell in a hand basket", as the saying goes. Conservatives like to imagine that every school is another Evergreen College, and it simply isn't true.

Chris
11-02-2017, 07:36 AM
A lot of things "happen regularly", C. The question you have to ask yourself is, does it happen with the kind of regularity that makes it a major problem? In other words, how many times does it happen versus how many times does it not? A child eleven and under dies from a gunshot wound in America about every other week, and there are people who want to use statistics like that to their political advantage...ignoring the fact that in a country with hundreds of millions of legally owned firearms, such incidents are - as cold as it sounds - statistically insignificant. As I noted before, there are more than 4,000 accredited colleges and universities in this country, and God only knows how many individuals teaching at them. If we heard a new story like this every day of the week - we don't - it still would not in any way support the purely political accusation that U.S. colleges are "going to Hell in a hand basket", as the saying goes. Conservatives like to imagine that every school is another Evergreen College, and it simply isn't true.

But we do hear stories like this everyday. Many have been reported snd discussed here on the forum. Your personal incredulity is simply not an argument.

Chris
11-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Here's how pervasive this PC crapola is getting: Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share[//url]:

The Cato 2017 Free Speech and Tolerance Survey, a new national poll of 2,300 U.S. adults, finds that 71% Americans believe that political correctness has silenced important discussions our society needs to have. The consequences are personal—58% of Americans believe the political climate prevents them from sharing their own political beliefs.

Democrats are unique, however, in that a slim majority (53%) do not feel the need to self-censor. Conversely, strong majorities of Republicans (73%) and independents (58%) say they keep some political beliefs to themselves.

[url=https://www.cato.org/survey-reports/state-free-speech-tolerance-america]Full survey results and report found here. (https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-71-americans-say-political-correctness-has-silenced-discussions-society-needs-have-58-have).

https://i.snag.gy/AQzjdH.jpg

It follows that a solid majority (59%) of Americans think people should be allowed to express unpopular opinions in public, even those deeply offensive to others. On the other hand, 40% think government should prevent hate speech. Despite this, the survey also found Americans willing to censor, regulate, or punish a wide variety of speech and expression they personally find offensive:

51% of staunch liberals say it’s “morally acceptable” to punch Nazis.
53% of Republicans favor stripping U.S. citizenship from people who burn the American flag.
51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender people’s preferred gender pronouns.
65% of Republicans say NFL players should be fired if they refuse to stand for the anthem.
58% of Democrats say employers should punish employees for offensive Facebook posts.
47% of Republicans favor bans on building new mosques.

Seems to deoend on whose ox is gored.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2017, 09:51 AM

Our public universities across the nation have been making news lately for demonstrating their intolerance of particular views. I don't know why you are trying to deny this.

We've seen a series of violent riots trying to prevent particular views from being presented and discusses. We've seen students and faculty members demand certain professors and administrators to be fired because they allow certain views to be presented.

About the only places we don't see these things happening are in the military academies and most private schools.

Tahuyaman
11-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have; Most Have Views They’re Afraid to Share

That is the purposes of political correctness.... To make it intolerable to honestly discuss particular subjects.