PDA

View Full Version : Kent, Ohio voters say "no" to sanctuary city bill.

DGUtley
11-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Kent voters said no Tuesday to a charter amendment that would have made their town a sanctuary city. Issue 9 failed by a vote of 2,206 to 1,622, according to complete but unofficial results from the Portage County Board of Elections. Kent Citizens for Democracy circulated a petition earlier this year to put Issue 9 before voters. Had the charter amendment been approved, Kent would have been designated a sanctuary city, meaning that it would limit its cooperation with federal immigration laws.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20171107/kent-voters-say-no-to-sanctuary

stjames1_53
11-08-2017, 08:59 AM
that's not going to stop the rest from sheltering illegals

DGUtley
11-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Kent is the home of my undergrad Alma Mater, Kent State University. Traditionally, a very liberal and diverse community with a strong gown/town tension. I wonder if this was driven by KSU people rather than townies.

leekohler2
11-08-2017, 10:38 AM
I grew up right by there. Anyone who thinks that area is liberal is out of their minds. Who even goes to that school anymore?

DGUtley
11-08-2017, 12:14 PM
I grew up right by there. Anyone who thinks that area is liberal is out of their minds.

The school is liberal. The school-related citizens of that town are liberal. Kent City is liberal. The rest of Portage County is conservative.

Who even goes to that school anymore?

Kent State enrollment was 40,782 students for the school year beginning Fall 2016. Who goes there? Other than lots and lots of young adults, I don't know but it's enrollment is pretty high. Who went there?

Lou Holtz
Connie Schultz
Drew Carey
Jack Lambert
Steve Harvey
Chrissie Hynde
Michael Keaton
Arsenio Hall
DEVO
Joe Walsh
David Utley
Tom Batuik
Antonio Gates

leekohler2
11-08-2017, 02:31 PM
The school is liberal. The school-related citizens of that town are liberal. Kent City is liberal. The rest of Portage County is conservative.

Kent State enrollment was 40,782 students for the school year beginning Fall 2016. Who goes there? Other than lots and lots of young adults, I don't know but it's enrollment is pretty high. Who went there?

Lou Holtz
Connie Schultz
Drew Carey
Jack Lambert
Steve Harvey
Chrissie Hynde
Michael Keaton
Arsenio Hall
DEVO
Joe Walsh
David Utley
Tom Batuik
Antonio Gates
It’s liberal for Ohio. I’m from there, I remember what Ohio is actually like. That’s why I left. ;)

That's like saying Austin, Texas is "liberal". I have friends who moved there a few years ago and were back within the year. I asked them what happened. They just said, "Don't let anyone fool you into believing Austin is liberal. It's still Texas."

DGUtley
11-08-2017, 03:15 PM
It’s liberal for Ohio. I’m from there, I remember what Ohio is actually like. That’s why I left. ;) That's like saying Austin, Texas is "liberal". I have friends who moved there a few years ago and were back within the year. I asked them what happened. They just said, "Don't let anyone fool you into believing Austin is liberal. It's still Texas."

I think you're probably right -- liberal for Ohio. Point well taken.