PDA

View Full Version : tPF Law grapples with case of autistic man who asks women if he can touch belly buttons

DGUtley
11-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Judge, attorneys grapple with case of autistic Stow man who asks women if he can touch belly buttons (https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/local/judge-attorneys-grapple-with-case-of-autistic-stow-man-who-asks-women-to-touch-their-belly-buttons) -- This is an interesting case. What to do here? Note the prior rape charge - and conviction for sexual battery.

A psychological report of Burrier in March 2012 found multiple instances between May 2007 and August 2010 in which he approached young girls and women and asked to touch or kiss their belly buttons. These incidents resulted in him being banned from the University of Akron and Kent State University campuses and Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority (AMHA) property.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/local/judge-attorneys-grapple-with-case-of-autistic-stow-man-who-asks-women-to-touch-their-belly-buttons

Ethereal
11-10-2017, 09:13 AM
He clearly needs to be separated from normal society. Not necessarily in prison, but somewhere where he does not pose a danger to others or himself.

Docthehun
11-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Wow! I suppose it shows you just can't write rules that govern every conceivable situation. Doesn't appear, despite the conviction, that he's a serious danger. I suppose one day, he'll approach a gal with a CCW and she'll decide his fate. Perhaps just another case where we've seemingly abandoned much of our mental health system. If nothing else, he's cost authorities a ton of time and money trying to keep him in line. I don't know Counselor, what sayeth you?

Kacper
11-10-2017, 09:26 AM
He needs to be violated and put in prison. The rape conviction is a huge red flag. This is a paraphilia issue showing the guy is still a high-risk to re-offend.

DGUtley
11-10-2017, 09:31 AM
Wow! I suppose it shows you just can't write rules that govern every conceivable situation. Doesn't appear, despite the conviction, that he's a serious danger. I suppose one day, he'll approach a gal with a CCW and she'll decide his fate. Perhaps just another case where we've seemingly abandoned much of our mental health system. If nothing else, he's cost authorities a ton of time and money trying to keep him in line. I don't know Counselor, what sayeth you?

I have an autistic nephew and my cousin has a severely autistic son. Neither appear to be dangerous though my cousin's boy fixated on my youngest for a long while. The sexual battery conviction concerns me. We are definitely lagging in mental health treatment. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to pay all that interest on the debt and we could use it or part of it on treatment?

Kacper
11-10-2017, 09:45 AM
I have an autistic nephew and my cousin has a severely autistic son. Neither appear to be dangerous though my cousin's boy fixated on my youngest for a long while. The sexual battery conviction concerns me. We are definitely lagging in mental health treatment. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to pay all that interest on the debt and we could use it or part of it on treatment?

It should concern you. A lot of mentally ill people are crazy like a fox.

Docthehun
11-10-2017, 10:01 AM

With the "greatest tax cut of all time" looming, I suspect that debt interest will soar and true needs will be lost to the loudest voices.

Docthehun
11-10-2017, 10:02 AM

Without a doubt, there's some truth to that statement.

DGUtley
11-10-2017, 10:14 AM
With the "greatest tax cut of all time" looming, I suspect that debt interest will soar and true needs will be lost to the loudest voices.

You know how I feel about debt....

Docthehun
11-10-2017, 02:40 PM
You know how I feel about debt....

You're in good company.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/abad3b09-be5f-3092-8eee-38df3f8009b9/ss_alan-greenspan%3A-big-tax-cuts.html

Adelaide
11-10-2017, 02:57 PM
But most are no threat to society. Important to note that; a majority of criminals may have some degree of mental illness or personality disorder, but most people with mental illness are not going to commit crimes.

Ideally, there would be more residential treatment programs and more affordable residential treatment programs but I have no clue where that funding could come from.

The Xl
11-10-2017, 03:40 PM
I don't really see how one can prosecute and imprison someone with this tier of autism. He shouldn't be walking around in society though, at least not by himself.

Kacper
11-10-2017, 06:46 PM
But most are no threat to society. Important to note that; a majority of criminals may have some degree of mental illness or personality disorder, but most people with mental illness are not going to commit crimes.

Ideally, there would be more residential treatment programs and more affordable residential treatment programs but I have no clue where that funding could come from.

Some studies indicate that there are more than 10 times the number of people with serious mental illness behind bars than in treatment, so you are talking about around 300K more in-patient psychiatric beds. As far as threat to society, that may depend on how you define threat. If an aggressive panhandler comes up and you feel scared, is that a threat to society in your mind? One of the more nebular issue deals with medication. Mentally ill people feel good so they stop taking it, and they end up in a worse place before they started, or they decide that they would rather spend their disability check on X instead of medication, and end up in cycles of self-medicating with street drugs when they run out of money before they run out of month. I have encountered some ,mentally ill criminals who had such profound senses of entitlement because they had the MI as an excuse that they did some pretty serious crimes thinking they could get away with a slap on the wrist. Anyway, don't always think that "well most likely they are not a danger" or anything like that because you just never know.

Dr. Who
11-10-2017, 06:58 PM
There is no cure for autism any more than there is a cure for not having a leg. There are only coping strategies and early training. Autistics who did not receive early training are far more at risk for ending up in the criminal justice system. It's not where they belong, but society doesn't really know what to do with them. Adult autistics may or may not benefit from focused therapy unless they have a personal goal. The autism spectrum is really pretty wide and may be combined with learning disabilities. There is just no one size fits all solution. The individual in the OP is likely not someone who can really be helped at this point. He will never understand why he can't touch belly buttons nor is he intelligent enough to simply put it on a list of mustn't do's in order to be free to do other things. We need structured live/work environments for such people, that are not prisons, but well supervised.