PDA

View Full Version : tPF The Deepening Partisan Split Over Sexual Misconduc

Chris
11-18-2017, 05:23 PM
If you look real hard you eventually find significant differences between the two parties on sexual harassment and abuse.

The Deepening Partisan Split Over Sexual Misconduct (https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/handling-sexual-harassment-allegations/546194/)

Earlier this week, New York magazine’s Jonathan Chait asked his fellow liberals to imagine that Roy Moore were a Democrat. “It’s easy to feel superior about this when opposition to grotesque treatment of teenage girls lines up neatly with your own party’s well-being,” he wrote. “If you’re a liberal, ask yourself what you would do if the circumstances were reversed.”

Thanks to Al Franken, we can now answer that question better. The details of each man’s offense differ: Moore is accused of pursuing teenager girls while he was in his 30s, and two women have accused him of sexually assaulting them when they were teenagers. Leeann Tweeden, a broadcaster for KABC in Los Angeles, said Franken kissed and groped her without her consent. Still, each party’s reaction is telling. Each is split, but in opposite ways.

In the GOP, the people taking the harshest line against Moore are congressional leaders like Mitch McConnell. They want Moore to withdraw from his Senate race largely because they fear Democrats will use him to tar other Republican candidates as sexist, as they did in 2012 when Todd Akin, the GOP’s Senate candidate in Missouri, said it was impossible for women to get pregnant from “legitimate rape.” But McConnell and company have been stymied by local Alabama Republicans—and Donald Trump-supporting media personalities like Steve Bannon and Sean Hannity—who won’t abandon Moore. In the GOP, it’s the Washington establishment that wants Moore gone. Grassroots activists and the right-wing media want him to stay.

In the Democratic Party—so far—it’s largely the reverse. As of Thursday night, not a single Democratic senator had called on Franken to resign. While decrying his behavior, they’ve mostly called for an investigation by the congressional Ethics Committee, which isn’t all that punitive given that the committee—as The Atlantic’s Elaine Godfrey has noted—has “not issued disciplinary sanctions against anyone in nine years.”

barb012
11-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Both parties do not care whatsoever about these accusers as victims of sexual misconduct. They both are using this subject as a weapon against each other while pretending to the media how disturbing this behavior is to appease the public.

Trish
11-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Of course the party's are handling it differently.......it's because the situations are NOT the same.

Mister D
11-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Of course the party's are handling it differently.......it's because the situations are NOT the same.
They never are...

Chris
11-18-2017, 07:29 PM

In detail, perhaps, in general, no so much other than the reactions.

Common Sense
11-18-2017, 07:43 PM
The Frankin case and the Moore case aren't really similar. One is an isolated incident, the other is a pattern of behaviour.

It seems the real difference lately between Dems and Reps is that the Dems have acknowledged their mistake and asked for forgiveness, while the Reps don't take responsibility.

Even the president has been accused, by over a dozen women, of sexual misconduct.

Ravens Fan
11-18-2017, 07:50 PM
The Frankin case and the Moore case aren't really similar. One is an isolated incident, the other is a pattern of behaviour.

It seems the real difference lately between Dems and Reps is that the Dems have acknowledged their mistake and asked for forgiveness, while the Reps don't take responsibility.

Even the president has been accused, by over a dozen women, of sexual misconduct.

I think that the only reason Frankin admitted to the picture is because there is undeniable evidence. He denied her accusation of forcing his tongue down his throat, because he can. I have no idea if he did it or not, but let's not pretend that he is somehow a better person. No picture, no confession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common Sense
11-18-2017, 08:09 PM
I think that the only reason Frankin admitted to the picture is because there is undeniable evidence. He denied her accusation of forcing his tongue down his throat, because he can. I have no idea if he did it or not, but let's not pretend that he is somehow a better person. No picture, no confession.

I think the cases are quite different. It's not an excuse for Franken's behaviour, but again, one is an isolated incident and the other is a pattern. Franken has accepted responsibility, apologized and was forgiven. Moore has chosen to deny and paint his accusers as liars. Many of his supporters have even claimed his actions weren't inappropriate.

Chris
11-18-2017, 08:14 PM

Your first point is beside the point. Your second is half correct, Dem leadership is calling for investigation while the people aren't, and vice versa for the Reps. Who are you targeting Moore or Trump?

Chris
11-18-2017, 08:15 PM
I think the cases are quite different. It's not an excuse for Franken's behaviour, but again, one is an isolated incident and the other is a pattern. Franken has accepted responsibility, apologized and was forgiven. Moore has chosen to deny and paint his accusers as liars. Many of his supporters have even claimed his actions weren't inappropriate.

You also assume accusations imply guilt. Shouldn't there be an investigation first? The Dems are calling for that.

resister
11-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Again, he would have been a fool to deny it. A good liar knows when the jig is up.

Ravens Fan
11-18-2017, 08:19 PM

As far as we know, it was just an isolated incident ( that lasted throughout the trip ). Frankin had no choice but to own it, he was caught red-handed. He also denied the part of the story that can't be proven. I still have no opinion on the Moore case, since I haven't seen evidence to show he did anything illegal.

I don't want to hang a man off of allegations alone, and that applies to both cases.

resister
11-18-2017, 08:23 PM
As far as we know, it was just an isolated incident ( that lasted throughout the trip ). Frankin had no choice but to own it, he was caught red-handed. He also denied the part of the story that can't be proven. I still have no opinion on the Moore case, since I haven't seen evidence to show he did anything illegal.

I don't want to hang a man off of allegations alone, and that applies to both cases.

Exactly, saying he "excepted responsibility" is laughable, as you point out, he remains in denial about all but the undeniable.

Way to paint a rose, CS.

Common Sense
11-18-2017, 08:50 PM

Franken didn't deny the kiss. He did say he didn't remember it but believed her.

The one allegation that he had sexual contact with a 14 year old is very troubling. If she testified under oath about it, it certainly would be evidence.

Common Sense
11-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Exactly, saying he "excepted responsibility" is laughable, as you point out, he remains in denial about all but the undeniable.

Way to paint a rose, CS.

"Accepted"

Franken stated that he does believe her.

Ravens Fan
11-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Franken didn't deny the kiss. He did say he didn't remember it but believed her.

I am pretty sure he said that he remembered it differently, to me that is denying her version of what happened.

The one allegation that he had sexual contact with a 14 year old is very troubling. If she testified under oath about it, it certainly would be evidence.

It is troubling, but as of yet it is only a claim.

resister
11-18-2017, 08:59 PM
"Accepted"

LOL, the TPF spelling teacher, with no exception.

MisterVeritis
11-18-2017, 10:04 PM
I think the cases are quite different. It's not an excuse for Franken's behaviour, but again, one is an isolated incident and the other is a pattern. Franken has accepted responsibility, apologized and was forgiven.
Of course, you offer an excuse. How do you know it is isolated? Have the left Media sent a hundred reporters to his state with walking around money to find more accusers? If not, why not?

Moore has chosen to deny and paint his accusers as liars. Many of his supporters have even claimed his actions weren't inappropriate.
What do we have? We have one woman who claims to remember that forty years ago Roy Moore touched her over her clothes when she was fourteen. She did not tell anyone at the time. She did not document it in a diary. But magically, at just the right time she was found by the Left Media to try to derail a Christian Conservative's bid for the Senate.

In Moore's case, we have a second woman who claims a sexual assault. But her story is weak. She claimed she had no further contact with Moore after he sexually assaulted her. Well, she might have forgotten that her divorce case was heard by Moore two decades later and Moore dismissed her case. She also claimed that he wrote in her yearbook but that appears to be a crude forgery.

We also have Moore's denial that he did anything wrong.

In Franken's case, we have a photo and acknowledgment that he did the dirty deed.

MisterVeritis
11-18-2017, 10:06 PM
Let's get her story under oath. Then let's investigate it as much as possible. If it turns out Moore is guilty then he can be expelled from the Senate. The Republican governor of Alabama can appoint an interim senator until we can have another special election. If it turns out the woman is lying then put her in jail.

Mister D
11-18-2017, 11:14 PM
Quite frankly, none of this even interesting let alone deeply troubling.

Common
11-19-2017, 06:53 AM
"Accepted"

link, I read he said he didnt remember