PDA

View Full Version : Marriage and law

corrocamino
12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
It's my considered opinion that "marriage", or manifestly non-injurious cohabitation or relationship by any other name, should have no mention whatsoever in law (and no bearing on taxation of any involved party). If people insist on some form of religious or "spiritual" ritual as part of their relationship, let them, but no licensing or legal status.

Your thoughts?

Conley
12-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I agree completely, but it's impossible at this point to undo how society and government have evolved together. Even thought I've always understood why, I've never really accepted that the government and employers should treat married people differently for purposes of taxation, health benefits, etc. compared to singles.

corrocamino
12-02-2012, 03:35 PM
(I should have added the "consenting adults" phrase, of course.)

Conley
12-02-2012, 03:36 PM
(I should have added the "consenting adults" phrase, of course.)

No worries, the rational folks will know what you meant. :grin:

corrocamino
12-02-2012, 03:40 PM
No worries, the rational folks will know what you meant. :grin:

Please send me that list -- might save some grinding of incompatible gears. ;>)

Conley
12-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Oh, I have no doubt you'll figure it out soon enough. I can tell yer a smart cookie! :laugh: People will surprise you...

Peter1469
12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
I am in agreement.

Captain Obvious
12-02-2012, 04:57 PM
The concept of legal marriage I believe exists (or existed) simply to effect social norms. Same for a lot of our tax legislation. Is this concept obsolete? Probably, but the oppressive religious right would disagree.

What I always found odd with social norm persuasion is that we pound the concept of "you have to get marred NOW!!!" into our kids heads, and then we wonder why the divorce rate is something like 50%. Idiocy at it's finest - take kids in their early 20's, saturated with horny and marginal in wisdom and tell them that they have to make a decision that they have to deal in the vast majority of their lives.

corrocamino
12-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Excellent point, CO (even though you're talking about ME here!). ;>)

Chris
12-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Like so many many things, marriage is another government has no business sticking its nose into.

Protect contract between individuals, yes, define it, no.