PDA

View Full Version : Shoveling snow

donttread
11-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Has anyone else had to move snow yet? I have twice and need to get in winter shoveling shape fast before a big storm hits. Also how do you move your snow ( Register I'd say no smart ass answers but what would be the fun in that! LOL)

stjames1_53
11-28-2017, 01:23 PM
nope. Today is sunny and 68 in southern Indiana..............just wait 2 hours, and that could change

however snow removal.....a pinch twixt the cheek and gum and a snow thrower

Chris
11-28-2017, 01:33 PM
I can't remember, it must've been 20 years ago or so that it snowed enough to stick. But we don't have snow shovels in San Antonio.

DGUtley
11-28-2017, 01:35 PM
Has anyone else had to move snow yet? I have twice and need to get in winter shoveling shape fast before a big storm hits. Also how do you move your snow ( Register I'd say no smart ass answers but what would be the fun in that! LOL)

Not yet. I cut grass and vacuumed the lawn on Thursday. I'll pull the deck off and put the blower on this 0Saturday or Sunday.

Kacper
11-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Nope but we seldom get any accumulation until late December or early into the new year, if at all. I do shovel the driveway for the most part and ice melt early in the day when we get it just so the dog has some place to walk outside. I seldom go out in it driving, but just in case. My city is horrible at side street snow management and it is literally uphill in every direction to and from my house (think the bottom of a bowl situated on top of a ridge all mini-volcano like) .

resister
11-28-2017, 03:11 PM
Kin Folk said "Jed, move away from there" ! :)

donttread
11-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Not yet. I cut grass and vacuumed the lawn on Thursday. I'll pull the deck off and put the blower on this 0Saturday or Sunday.

Well Ohio is almost a Dixie state after all. LOL

donttread
11-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Kin Folk said "Jed, move away from there" ! :)

3-6 years more of work and I will do just that, at least in the winter

donttread
11-29-2017, 08:26 AM
Nope but we seldom get any accumulation until late December or early into the new year, if at all. I do shovel the driveway for the most part and ice melt early in the day when we get it just so the dog has some place to walk outside. I seldom go out in it driving, but just in case. My city is horrible at side street snow management and it is literally uphill in every direction to and from my house (think the bottom of a bowl situated on top of a ridge all mini-volcano like) .

That must suck when you get sleet or freezing rain.

Kacper
11-29-2017, 08:56 AM
That must suck when you get sleet or freezing rain.

Very much so, but being on the sunny side of the street thaws me out quicker than across the road, not that I can go anywhere. I can at least walk the dog without breaking my neck.

countryboy
11-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Hasn't snowed here in NE Ohio yet, praise the Lord.

I used to have a garden tractor with a box scraper. I'd put tire chains on the back wheels and push the snow around in reverse. Hard on the neck, but better than shoveling. That rig pooped out a couple of years ago, and I never replaced it. Been shoveling for the last couple of years.

I recently bought an older four wheeler that came with a snow plow, so, bring it. :D

I got this shovel a couple of years ago, it works amazingly well. You can push snow fairly easily, when it gets full, you can slide it across the snow like a sled.

donttread
12-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Hasn't snowed here in NE Ohio yet, praise the Lord.

I used to have a garden tractor with a box scraper. I'd put tire chains on the back wheels and push the snow around in reverse. Hard on the neck, but better than shoveling. That rig pooped out a couple of years ago, and I never replaced it. Been shoveling for the last couple of years.

I recently bought an older four wheeler that came with a snow plow, so, bring it. :D

I got this shovel a couple of years ago, it works amazingly well. You can push snow fairly easily, when it gets full, you can slide it across the snow like a sled.

Cool, sometimes I run out of push before I run out of room, especially when it's wet snow.

resister
12-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Cool, sometimes I run out of push before I run out of room, especially when it's wet snow.
It is 86 degrees here. Blue sky, just a few puffy clouds. I did an hour and a half of yard work today, had to keep wiping sweat from my eyes! :laugh:

jimmyz
12-02-2017, 03:38 PM

Do you realize how many bugs you killed in doing that? Buddhists everywhere weep.

countryboy
12-02-2017, 04:49 PM

Yep, definitely the best snow shovel I've ever owned, and I've been shoveling snow for decades.

countryboy
12-02-2017, 04:52 PM
It is 86 degrees here. Blue sky, just a few puffy clouds. I did an hour and a half of yard work today, had to keep wiping sweat from my eyes! :laugh:

Yeah yeah, we know all about Florida.:D

50 here today, and 52 tomorrow. I'll take it. Below freezing at night though. But we have plenty of firewood, so, no worries. :wink:

Hoosier8
12-02-2017, 04:57 PM
I bought a fancy snowblower just to keep the snow away.

resister
12-02-2017, 07:05 PM
Yeah yeah, we know all about Florida.:D

50 here today, and 52 tomorrow. I'll take it. Below freezing at night though. But we have plenty of firewood, so, no worries. :wink:
We are scheduled for the coldest air of the season (thus far) sometime next week around 40 for a low, if daytime highs don't top 70, I consider it chilly, if it is windy. When it comes to cold, the wind is the MF!

countryboy
12-02-2017, 08:18 PM
We are scheduled for the coldest air of the season (thus far) sometime next week around 40 for a low, if daytime highs don't top 70, I consider it chilly, if it is windy. When it comes to cold, the wind is the MF!
Wind chill sucks.

I grew up up in San Diego, and we would have relatives who would visit us in the summertime from Tucson Arizona. They would be freezing. In San Diego. In the summer. It's all relative, lol. Pun fully intended. :laughing7:

Kacper
12-02-2017, 09:05 PM

We have snow in the forecast for next Friday I believe. I agree about the wind. When I lived near Pittsburgh that effing lake-effect wind would just suck the life out of you. It didn't matter so much if it was in the single digits +/-, but if that wind was blowing hard even in the 30's and 40's it was a PITA. Went out one night and it was -10° which was crisp and then I got blasted by a 20+MPH gust and literally thought I was going to die right then and there if I couldn't shelter in 45 seconds tops.

countryboy
12-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Just came across this pic of my old garden tractor set up for snow. :)

Didn't even bother to take the mower deck off, lol.

resister
12-05-2017, 11:09 PM

Dude, you can get 5 high and dry acres in the county with a well, for 50,000. Never snows! Beautiful Desoto county fl!

countryboy
12-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Dude, you can get 5 high and dry acres in the county with a well, for 50,000. Never snows! Beautiful Desoto county fl!
Maybe in my retirement years (if that ever comes), but for now I've got 20 beautiful, private, wooded acres, and it really doesn't snow that much here any more. That pic is from a few years ago. Yes, winter kinda sucks, but the other three seasons here are great.

Kacper
12-06-2017, 08:14 AM

Bonus points for having chains for you lawn mower :laugh:

Snow is still on for here Friday, but rain will mix in so it won't accumulate. Supposed to be cold as a witch's titty here all next week though so kind of looking forward to that. I prefer cold when doing some things outdoors. Makes me less fearful there is going to be a copperhead about when I am clear-cutting brush for instance. I am restoring a storm drain ditch that runs through some sketchy brushy woods so it will give me a chance to work on it some. A section of it became clogged and backfilled which screws things up upstream for me during heavy rains so I am deepening and widening it all the way down just to make sure it can carry high volumes of H2O

countryboy
12-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Bonus points for having chains for you lawn mower :laugh:

Snow is still on for here Friday, but rain will mix in so it won't accumulate. Supposed to be cold as a witch's titty here all next week though so kind of looking forward to that. I prefer cold when doing some things outdoors. Makes me less fearful there is going to be a copperhead about when I am clear-cutting brush for instance. I am restoring a storm drain ditch that runs through some sketchy brushy woods so it will give me a chance to work on it some. A section of it became clogged and backfilled which screws things up upstream for me during heavy rains so I am deepening and widening it all the way down just to make sure it can carry high volumes of H2O

Lol, yup. Those are actually truck tire chains too. It worked surprisingly well. That was a good machine, I beat the heck out of her for many years.

Copperheads are no fun, we even get them occasionally around here. My cat was in a tussle with what I thought was a copperhead last spring, turned out to be a milk snake. Good thing too, because it struck him a few times, lol. Crazy cat.

Kacper
12-06-2017, 08:32 AM
Lol, yup. Those are actually truck tire chains too. It worked surprisingly well. That was a good machine, I beat the heck out of her for many years.

Copperheads are no fun, we even get them occasionally around here. My cat was in a tussle with what I thought was a copperhead last spring, turned out to be a milk snake. Good thing too, because it struck him a few times, lol. Crazy cat.

My cats get into it with little snakes from time to time. Had to chase one down to get a green snake out of its mouth. The woods I call Creepy Hollow has tons of brush, fallen logs, holes, etc, and I have seen small copperheads in the area. Been years since I have seen a big one but if there are little ones, there is a big momma somewhere.

countryboy
12-06-2017, 08:41 AM
My cats get into it with little snakes from time to time. Had to chase one down to get a green snake out of its mouth. The woods I call Creepy Hollow has tons of brush, fallen logs, holes, etc, and I have seen small copperheads in the area. Been years since I have seen a big one but if there are little ones, there is a big momma somewhere.
I've heard the babies are more venomous than the big un's. We had a couple of babies in one of my sheds a couple of years ago. We used to have a 6 foot black that lived in that shed.

That milk snake my cat was fighting with was at least a three footer. He's an idiot. He kills rabbits bigger than him.

resister
12-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Copperheads are no fun, we even get them occasionally around here. My cat was in a tussle with what I thought was a copperhead last spring, turned out to be a milk snake. Good thing too, because it struck him a few times, lol. Crazy cat.I have a friend that swears copperheads are in south Fl (they are only known to be in the panhandle) He met up with me downriver one day and told me a dead copperhead was upstream. I went to investigate, I brought back the dead Eel and said "not only do you not know what a copperhead looks like, but you cant tell a snake from a fish"
I never let him live it down!

countryboy
12-06-2017, 10:05 AM
I have a friend that swears copperheads are in south Fl (they are only known to be in the panhandle) He met up with me downriver one day and told me a dead copperhead was upstream. I went to investigate, I brought back the dead Eel and said "not only do you not know what a copperhead looks like, but you cant tell a snake from a fish"
I never let him live it down!

Lol! There's one in every crowd. I used to work with a buddy who swore that milk snakes and copperheads were interbreeding to make a less venomous, but still dangerous cross breed. We used to tease him mercilessly about the "milk-head" snakes. :D

resister
12-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Lol! There's one in every crowd. I used to work with a buddy who swore that milk snakes and copperheads were interbreeding to make a less venomous, but still dangerous cross breed. We used to tease him mercilessly about the "milk-head" snakes. :D
It is quite amazing the ignorance some folks have when it comes to snakes!

Docthehun
12-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Just snakes?

resister
12-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Just snakes?lol. Point!

donttread
12-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Got our first big storm Thursday and dug out yesterday. I'm a little hobbled so the wife used the snow blower to help out and did an amazing job. Today I'll go push the snow banks back in some spots to make room for more.

Peter1469
12-09-2017, 11:06 AM
It is snowing now. We won't get enough to shovel.

donttread
12-11-2017, 06:06 AM
More snow and more to shovel this morning

resister
12-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Dear Canada, it appears some of your frigid, arctic air has escaped and made it to Fl. Please retrieve your artic air, ASAP. Thanks.

Kacper
12-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Yep. But my understanding is that there are a lot of non-venomous snakes that disguise themselves like the real things as a protection mechanism. I've never noticed either but I am told some young snakes look like copperheads as a defense mechanism and there is some snake around here I have heard about that will rise up and puff out like a cobra and then play dead if that doesn't work to scare aggressors away. Forget its name.

resister
12-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Yep. But my understanding is that there are a lot of non-venomous snakes that disguise themselves like the real things as a protection mechanism. I've never noticed either but I am told some young snakes look like copperheads as a defense mechanism and there is some snake around here I have heard about that will rise up and puff out like a cobra and then play dead if that doesn't work to scare aggressors away. Forget its name.Hog nosed snake, some are even perfect mimics of a pigmy rattler. In reality, very docile you would catch hell trying to force one to bite you. If you did not know what it was, you would swear it was a viper.

Ravens Fan
12-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Dear Canada, it appears some of your frigid, arctic air has escaped and made it to Fl. Please retrieve your artic air, ASAP. Thanks.
I have no sympathy for you. 40 degrees is neither frigid nor artic, and serves you well for your teasing of us northerners. Hope you have to put real shoes on too.

:tongue:

resister
12-11-2017, 12:33 PM
I have no sympathy for you. 40 degrees is neither frigid nor artic, and serves you well for your teasing of us northerners. Hope you have to put real shoes on too.

:tongue:
Nope still no shoes :laugh:

silvereyes
12-11-2017, 01:50 PM

:biglaugh:

hanger4
12-11-2017, 03:37 PM
More snow and more to shovel this morningShoveling done here, no more snow for a time. Black ice on the roads for the next few mornings though.

resister
12-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Shoveling done here, no more snow for a time. Black ice on the roads for the next few mornings though.
Neighbor bought a pick up truck in Ohio, brake lines rusted out, lots of undercarriage rust truck is not that old. Damn road salt!

donttread
12-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Shoveling done here, no more snow for a time. Black ice on the roads for the next few mornings though.

Much worse than snow

Kacper
12-12-2017, 10:42 PM
We had a few flurries, a little sleet, a few sprinkles of rain and an ungodly cold wind today.