PDA

View Full Version : Mother faces felony charge after using recorder to thwart school bullies

Dr. Who
11-28-2017, 07:06 PM
When Sarah Sims' daughter complained she was being bullied in elementary school, the Virginia mother grew concerned.
Sims reached out to administrators at Ocean View Elementary School in Norfolk, Virginia, where her daughter is in fourth grade, but she said she got no response. In September, Sims decided to investigate on her own.
She sent her daughter to school with a digital audio recorder in her backpack, hoping to capture audio from the classroom. School officials found out and confiscated the device, which had been in her daughter's desk recording the school day.

Now, Sims, who is herself a student at Virginia's Norfolk State University, is in trouble with law.
Earlier this month, Norfolk police charged Sims with a felony -- intercepting wire, electronic or oral communications -- and with a misdemeanor -- contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

In third grade, her daughter "had been kicked in her stomach and hit with a jump rope on the playground," Sims said, adding that the school didn't notify her then.
"She became very anxious about attending," Sims said. "I removed her from the school because she was refusing to go. She felt like she wasn't protected."
Sims said her daughter tried to remain positive when she faced bullying again this school year.
"I did not want to just side with my child. I wanted to be fair," Sims said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/28/us/virginia-mother-bullying-arrest/index.html

It certainly seems like this school has something to hide, if they fear what was recorded in that classroom, combined with the fact that they would not respond to the mother when she inquired about her child being bullied.

barb012
11-28-2017, 07:18 PM
This woman should contact every media outlet. I see nothing wrong with her daughter having a tape recorder. I do see something wrong with the school who has a problem with it.

Dr. Who
11-28-2017, 07:50 PM
This woman should contact every media outlet. I see nothing wrong with her daughter having a tape recorder. I do see something wrong with the school who has a problem with it.
I agree. Schools have a legal duty of care with regard to the students in their charge. It sounds like this school is trying to manipulate the legal system to avoid their obligations and perhaps hide their negligence.

Peter1469
11-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Yes, they have something to hide.

Safety
11-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Unfukingbelievable. This is why I think vouchers should be available for parents.

resister
11-28-2017, 09:13 PM

It sounds like a two party consent state, making it illegal to record others, unless they are aware.