PDA

View Full Version : Can the Air Force disable North Korean missiles?

Peter1469
12-09-2017, 06:06 AM
Can the Air Force disable North Korean missiles? (http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/us/air-force-champ-north-korea-missiles/index.html)

This is a cruise missile with an EMP device on it. The idea is to fire it into enemy territory, use the EMP feature to disable command and control sites and ICBMs. Then the cruise missile can be splashed into the ocean. If this is perfected, we could counter North Korea without loss of life.

Retired Air Force intelligence officer Col. Cedric Leighton went further, saying CHAMP could be a game-changer with North Korea.

"It would be very useful in the Korean theater because it wouldn't require the presence of significant numbers of ground forces," Leighton said. "It wouldn't require Special Operations forces. And it wouldn't require kinetic bombing attacks. ... In essence, what could happen is an attack can occur, and not a single person on the enemy side would lose a life."

Leighton said a CHAMP system could disable a North Korean missile on the launchpad or in flight.

gamewell45
12-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Can the Air Force disable North Korean missiles? (http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/us/air-force-champ-north-korea-missiles/index.html)

This is a cruise missile with an EMP device on it. The idea is to fire it into enemy territory, use the EMP feature to disable command and control sites and ICBMs. Then the cruise missile can be splashed into the ocean. If this is perfected, we could counter North Korea without loss of life.

That's assuming the N.Koreans haven't shielded their weapons from EMP attacks. If they have, then I'd think we'd have to fire off an EMP missile that would produce a higher level of EMP then what the N. Koreans have shielded their electronics from. The question is, what is the level of EMP we'd have to produce in order to overcome their shielding?

Peter1469
12-09-2017, 08:21 AM
That's assuming the N.Koreans haven't shielded their weapons from EMP attacks. If they have, then I'd think we'd have to fire off an EMP missile that would produce a higher level of EMP then what the N. Koreans have shielded their electronics from. The question is, what is the level of EMP we'd have to produce in order to overcome their shielding?
It sounds like this weapon is pretty powerful. I have no idea what shielding the NKs have. I expect that we would factor that in.