PDA

View Full Version : Swatting. And I don't mean flies.

Crepitus
12-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Apparently it's a thing to call in false and extreme police reports to cause large numbers of heavily armed officers to show up at someone's house or business as a prank. A man died here a few days ago as a result of this blatant stupidity.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/30/us/kansas-police-shooting-swatting/index.html

Dr. Who
12-30-2017, 07:54 PM
Apparently it's a thing to call in false and extreme police reports to cause large numbers of heavily armed officers to show up at someone's house or business as a prank. A man died here a few days ago as a result of this blatant stupidity.

Since a man died, the prank caller should be charged with manslaughter.

Crepitus
12-30-2017, 08:01 PM

He's in custody but charges haven't been announced. Manslaughter does seem likely though I'm not expert.

Mini Me
12-30-2017, 08:17 PM
The annals are full of cases where SWAT TEAMS raided the wrong house, shot innocent people dead, etc,

Anyone could call in and say there is drug activity at your house!

Crepitus
12-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Some info on the legal ramifications and possible charges,

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/31/us/swatting-legal-ramifications/index.html

Captdon
12-31-2017, 11:15 AM

He should go away and never come back.

pragmatic
12-31-2017, 11:16 AM
Tragic story.

Hopefully the prankster will be held accountable at some level.

donttread
01-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Seriou time for that crap. But what's the justification for shooting the guy?

Crepitus
01-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Seriou time for that crap. But what's the justification for shooting the guy?

The were under the (false) impression this person had just murdered most of his family, had doused his house in gasoline, and was prepared to murder the rest and himself too.

All that said the officer is under investigation too.

donttread
01-02-2018, 07:20 PM
The annals are full of cases where SWAT TEAMS raided the wrong house, shot innocent people dead, etc,

Anyone could call in and say there is drug activity at your house!

That's where the police work vs. para military assualts come in

donttread
01-02-2018, 07:23 PM
The were under the (false) impression this person had just murdered most of his family, had doused his house in gasoline, and was prepared to murder the rest and himself too.

All that said the officer is under investigation too.

That why we need to vet such reports. But on the bright side had the guy been going to committ suicide thay beat him to it. Piss poor police work . A man was killed because of an imagined thrat which means he was killed without posing any real threat.

Crepitus
01-02-2018, 07:25 PM
That why we need to vet such reports. But on the bright side had the guy been going to committ suicide thay beat him to it. Piss poor police work . A man was killed because of an imagined thrat which means he was killed without posing any real threat.

Yea, I can't really say a whole lot about our police force. They are really good at generating revenue for the city but that's about it.

jigglepete
01-04-2018, 07:57 PM

I never did anything this intense...but...one time my upstairs neighbor had a party that really screwed with my schedule. So, I propped up one of my (huge) speakers in my window and cranked my system up to 11. As soon as the cops turned on to my street, I shut down the stereo and closed the window. They stormed upstairs and shut down the party, I ended up getting a good nights sleep.

BTW no one got in trouble...

pragmatic
01-04-2018, 10:42 PM
I never did anything this intense...but...one time my upstairs neighbor had a party that really screwed with my schedule. So, I propped up one of my (huge) speakers in my window and cranked my system up to 11. As soon as the cops turned on to my street, I shut down the stereo and closed the window. They stormed upstairs and shut down the party, I ended up getting a good nights sleep.

BTW no one got in trouble...

Kudos to 11....!!!

donttread
01-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Yea, I can't really say a whole lot about our police force. They are really good at generating revenue for the city but that's about it.

Did you know that SWAT teams are often not even given the "luxary" of knowing why they are there? Domestic dispute, armed tax evader or mass murderer. Kinda makes that trigger finger twitchy. Great policy

donttread
01-06-2018, 11:25 AM
This gets worse and worse. It appears that the SWAT call was made from a phone that could not have been associated with the house in question and possibly even from another state. How much vetting would it take to run that down?
100% inexcusable.

Crepitus
01-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Did you know that SWAT teams are often not even given the "luxary" of knowing why they are there? Domestic dispute, armed tax evader or mass murderer. Kinda makes that trigger finger twitchy. Great policy

The wichita ks swat team is a group of regular officers who get a little extra training time every few months and access to cooler toys.

Same story for the bomb squad

Newpublius
01-06-2018, 05:28 PM
At least, I think the mere act of sending the SWAT team knowingly to somebody's house is itself a felony.

I think you might have felony murder here.

donttread
01-07-2018, 09:57 AM

No doubt. But that does not excuse the police.

Dr. Who
01-07-2018, 02:11 PM
No doubt. But that does not excuse the police.

Of course not. This sort of thing happens all too frequently.

donttread
01-07-2018, 04:33 PM
At least, I think the mere act of sending the SWAT team knowingly to somebody's house is itself a felony.

I think you might have felony murder here.

It's possible, but mentally a strech by calling it felony "murder" and not charging the shooter.