PDA

View Full Version : What does being Wahabi mean?

shaarona
12-07-2012, 02:59 AM
What does being Wahabi mean?

According to the outside world and media, it is a form or sect of Islam that goes back to Sheikh Mohamed bin Abdulawahab. But to Saudis, especially the central region it is a sub-tribe of the Tameem tribe which coincidentally Sheikh Mohamed and I both belong to.

To set the record straight, no Saudi calls himself Wahbi unless they belong to the sub-tribe I mentioned above. To us Sheikh Mohamed was just another famous big sheikh who also happened to be into politics. He did not start a new Islamic sect. What he did do was educate people in the central region.

The central region is practically an out of the way desert. Sheikh Mohamed was born here in Al Uyyanah, not far from Riyadh. He travelled to Makkah, Medina and Iraq to study Islam and then he came back and taught his people. At that time, people here were illiterate, superstitious and many had forgotten or never learned the basics of Islam. There are even stories about paganism and idol worshipping.

So he came back to teach people. And he also made a pact with an ancestor of Al Saud, that he would take care of the religion and Al Saud would take care of bringing unity and government to our people.
Sheikh Mohamed, contrary to popular western belief, was not an ultra conservative hell bent against women and human rights. He barely delved into these issues. He had religiously bigger issues to take care of with wiping out paganism and the worship of saints and reeducating people on how to pray! He was also busy stifling the spread of Shiaism.

His main focus was to resume the monotheism condition of Islam. He did such a great job that by the time he was through, the region had all the basics of Sunni Islam down. So much so that for the next two centuries, many many so-called sheikhs sadly had nothing better to do but twiddle their thumbs and create petty fatwas. For example, one that I came across written in the late eighties, early nineties that women should be discouraged from watching soccer matches on TV because the excitement of seeing men in shorts running around is too much for her fragile emotional health. That was a FATWA!

continued..

http://saudiwoman.me/2008/08/28/what-does-being-wahabi-mean/

From the perspective of a new Saudi woman.. rather than Jihad Watch and other like internet sites.

shaarona
12-07-2012, 03:21 AM
King Abdullah also loosened some other restraints on women.

In 2009, he established the first mixed-gender university campus in Saudi Arabia. At the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, the religious police do not operate on-site. Women are allowed to mix freely with men, to drive on campus and they are not required to wear veils in the coeducational classes.
In 2010, King Abdullah initiated a foreign study scholarship program for Saudi citizens and roughly 25 percent of those sent abroad to study are women.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2012/05/30/Womens-restrictions-loosening-under-aging-Saudi-king/WEN-7951338413123/#ixzz2ELuG9kKe

shaarona
12-07-2012, 03:39 AM
King Abdullah’s appointment in January of Al Shaikh was also seen as a reformist move. Al Shaikh has a relatively liberal image, having argued in the past that ikhtilat, the social mixing of men and women, isn’t proscribed by Islamic law, and that women should be allowed to work even if it involves encountering men.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/abdullah-tries-to-loosen-restrictions-1.1095218

hanger4
12-07-2012, 05:50 AM
King Abdullah also loosened some other restraints on women.

In 2009, he established the first mixed-gender university campus in Saudi Arabia. At the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, the religious police do not operate on-site. Women are allowed to mix freely with men, to drive on campus and they are not required to wear veils in the coeducational classes.
In 2010, King Abdullah initiated a foreign study scholarship program for Saudi citizens and roughly 25 percent of those sent abroad to study are women.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2012/05/30/Womens-restrictions-loosening-under-aging-Saudi-king/WEN-7951338413123/#ixzz2ELuG9kKe

Impressive, as long as these "few" women stay on University grounds they can drive and mix with men.

That's some advancement shaarona, NOW would be so proud, if they cared.

shaarona
12-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Impressive, as long as these "few" women stay on University grounds they can drive and mix with men.

That's some advancement shaarona, NOW would be so proud, if they cared.

Saudi university and college students are about 60% women.

hanger4
12-07-2012, 06:22 AM

So ??

They're (women) allowed to go to school.

Can they vote ??

Are they still veiled ??

Can they talk to men other than their husbands on the street ??

Can they drive ??

What else does the Saudi government allow/deny women to do or not do ??

Know matter how hard you try to paint a pretty picture of women in the ME, generally speaking they are little more than chattel.

shaarona
12-07-2012, 06:44 AM
So ??

They're (women) allowed to go to school.

Can they vote ??

Are they still veiled ??

Can they talk to men other than their husbands on the street ??

Can they drive ??

What else does the Saudi government allow/deny women to do or not do ??

Know matter how hard you try to paint a pretty picture of women in the ME, generally speaking they are little more than chattel.

I am saying things are changing.

Women have always talked to other men on the street.. and they vote next year.

The Saudi government rules by consensus.. They can't abitrarily throw out all custom and traditions. But, the clerics are changing.. better educated.. and the merchants and technocrats are supportive of reform.

Ivan88
12-16-2012, 02:20 PM
What does being Wahabi mean?

According to the outside world and media, it is a form or sect of Islam that goes back to Sheikh Mohamed bin Abdulawahab.

Sheikh Mohamed was born here in Al Uyyanah, not far from Riyadh. He travelled to Makkah, Medina and Iraq to study Islam and then he came back and taught his people. At that time, people here were illiterate, superstitious and many had forgotten or never learned the basics of Islam. There are even stories about paganism and idol worshipping.

So he came back to teach people. And he also made a pact with an ancestor of Al Saud, that he would take care of the religion and Al Saud would take care of bringing unity and government to our people.
Sheikh Mohamed, contrary to popular western belief, was not an ultra conservative hell bent against women and human rights. He barely delved into these issues. He had religiously bigger issues to take care of with wiping out paganism and the worship of saints and reeducating people on how to pray! He was also busy stifling the spread of Shiaism.

From what you posted, it is obvious that Sheikn Mohamed and Shaarona are of the group that murdered Muhammed, Ali and the others.
Those who murdered the Prophet and their followers are basically no different than those who murdered Jesus Christ.

Whether you're quoting hadith, Qur'an or Fatwas, it is all colored by your Talmudic neo-Cain, neo-Amalek mentality.

And, the great pity is that the Christians of Europe and America are fully supporting an attempt to establish a world wide Caliphate1109 under the same mentality as those who murdered Ali.
The following followers of Muhammed, Ali, and Jesus Christ would condemn Wahhabi mentality.

roadmaster
12-17-2012, 11:31 PM

That's Saudi, the others in the ME is completely different.

shaarona
12-23-2012, 07:48 AM
That's Saudi, the others in the ME is completely different.

I haven't looked at the numbers of females in university in Kuwait, the UAE or Qatar so I can't say..

The numbers would probably be dismal in Afghanistan and Pakistan..

Peter1469
12-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I haven't looked at the numbers of females in university in Kuwait, the UAE or Qatar so I can't say..

The numbers would probably be dismal in Afghanistan and Pakistan..

In Afghanistan the numbers of men above 7th grade are dismal.

shaarona
12-23-2012, 03:50 PM
In Afghanistan the numbers of men above 7th grade are dismal.

I have read that literacy in Afghanistan was much higher 30 years ago.. Sounds to me like they "lost" a whole generation.

Peter1469
12-23-2012, 05:07 PM
I have read that literacy in Afghanistan was much higher 30 years ago.. Sounds to me like they "lost" a whole generation.

2 and counting.

One of our Army problems there. We are trying to teach their army modern infantry tactics. That simply is not possible to do with illiterates. My position is to teach them tactics that they can understand; but the Army can't fathom that concept.

shaarona
12-23-2012, 05:11 PM
2 and counting.

One of our Army problems there. We are trying to teach their army modern infantry tactics. That simply is not possible to do with illiterates. My position is to teach them tactics that they can understand; but the Army can't fathom that concept.

2 generations lost... yep.

Illiteracy would be a huge obstacle to teaching modern warfare.

Peter1469
12-23-2012, 05:55 PM
My high school friends made fun of my choice for airborne infantry. But no unintelligent person can advance in modern infantry. It just is not possible.

shaarona
12-23-2012, 05:57 PM
My high school friends made fun of my choice for airborne infantry. But no unintelligent person can advance in modern infantry. It just is not possible.

I never thought of it that way before, but it makes sense.

Peter1469
12-23-2012, 06:05 PM
We took the dumb big guys and gave them the M-60 and they never advanced above PFC.

shaarona
12-23-2012, 06:11 PM
we took the dumb big guys and gave them the m-60 and they never advanced above pfc.

lolol...

Peter1469
12-23-2012, 06:14 PM
lolol...

Strong back, weak mind.

countryboy
12-23-2012, 07:01 PM
We took the dumb big guys and gave them the M-60 and they never advanced above PFC.
Yes, but it's nice to have a big dumb guy on your side, isn't it?