PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing

donttread
02-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Went ice fishing last weekend and planing to go again saturday. mostly to support a benefit derby but a nice pike would be entirely welcome I haven't been ice fishing in years before last weekend but it was fun. Are any of you hard water fishermen?

Crepitus
02-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Sorry dude, that is the only form of fishing that ever made me say "WTF?"

resister
02-01-2018, 12:44 PM
My idea of fishing consist of one of these donut hand line reels, with hundreds of yards of stout line, live or cut bait, you can throw it by hand similar to a sling, or walk it out if need it farther, drive a stake in the ground, set the reel on it. Sit, wait and drink beer. People catch huge fish on these.22628

Common
02-01-2018, 12:44 PM
I went ice fishing once, in jersey in the mountains. There were quite a few fishing and on the edge of the lake was a fairly large inn. After 3 hours and the only thing I caught was a case of the shivers I told the two guys I was with this city boy is taking his ass to that inn and come get me when you done freezing your ass off.

The inn was worth the trip, behind the bar was a HUGE cast iron kettle with home made soup and they served it with a big hunk of homemade bread. Their specialty was venizen in season, I had the thickest roast beef sammich I ever had.

Moral is for me ice fishing sucks, hanging at the inn fantastic :)

jigglepete
02-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Went ice fishing once, must have been in the early to mid eighties, on Crystal Lake near Snowville, NH...Caught naught but a great beer buzz. It was an excellent outing, we built a bonfire on the ice for warmth, and stayed on the lake all day, but we probably would have been better off making a stew out of the baitfish LOL.

texan
02-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Went ice fishing last weekend and planing to go again saturday. mostly to support a benefit derby but a nice pike would be entirely welcome I haven't been ice fishing in years before last weekend but it was fun. Are any of you hard water fishermen?

Love fishing

jimmyz
02-01-2018, 02:38 PM
I get a kick out of the ice fishing sheds they build. Some are as nice as a mini home. TV, fridge, furniture the whole shebang.

donttread
02-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Sorry dude, that is the only form of fishing that ever made me say "WTF?"

LOL It's not a sport for the faintif heart that's for sure

donttread
02-01-2018, 07:15 PM
I get a kick out of the ice fishing sheds they build. Some are as nice as a mini home. TV, fridge, furniture the whole shebang.

Same thing with hunting hutts these days Heaters even . We are not the men our fathers and grand fathers were

donttread
02-01-2018, 07:20 PM
My idea of fishing consist of one of these donut hand line reels, with hundreds of yards of stout line, live or cut bait, you can throw it by hand similar to a sling, or walk it out if need it farther, drive a stake in the ground, set the reel on it. Sit, wait and drink beer. People catch huge fish on these.22628
Multiple hook sets?

resister
02-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Multiple hook sets?
Ya can. I have even used balloons as a bobber with live bait fish. My most common rig is a 2 ounce triangle sinker on the bottom, hook about 18 inches up. Bait is close to the bottom but not on the bottom. When set, the line is taught and bites are obvious. For the best use, keep the line in your fingers, can detect the slightest nibble.