PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Supreme Court Won't Hear Cleveland Gun Registry Case

DGUtley
02-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Ohio Supreme Court Won’t Hear Cleveland Gun Registry Case (https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJlbWFpbCI6ImR1dGxleUBjcnVnb GF3LmNvbSIsImJ1bGxldGluX2xpbmtfaWQiOiIxMDEiLCJzdWJ zY3JpYmVyX2lkIjoiNzM3MjAzNzMwIiwibGlua19pZCI6IjMyM DU1NjM1OSIsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpkaWdlc3QiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHR wOi8vd3d3Lm5ld3MtaGVyYWxkLmNvbS9nZW5lcmFsLW5ld3MvM jAxODAyMDEvc3VwcmVtZS1jb3VydC13b250LWhlYXItY2xldmV sYW5kLWd1bi1yZWdpc3RyeS1jYXNlIiwiYnVsbGV0aW5faWQiO iIyMDE4MDIwMi44NDczNDM2MSJ9.tf8BnNi007mu7XTLwxCFvb Xsaik7YgEwkkpceV66dtg)

The Ohio Supreme Court is refusing to hear Cleveland’s appeal of a lower court ruling rejecting the city’s efforts at creating a gun offender registry. Cleveland.com reports (http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/01/ohio_supreme_court_rules_again_1.html) the court’s refusal on Wednesday to hear the appeal means most of the measures passed by the City Council in 2015 to address gun violence remain invalid. The registry would have required residents charged with gun offenses to register within five days of being convicted or released from prison.

Crepitus
02-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Why not? We require sex offenders to register.

countryboy
02-03-2018, 10:28 AM
We should require leftist loons to register. Liberalism is after all, a recognized mental disorder.

MrMike
02-03-2018, 10:54 AM
I actually agree with the registry for those convicted of gun offenses. Not a bad idea.

Crepitus
02-03-2018, 11:11 AM
We should require leftist loons to register. Liberalism is after all, a recognized mental disorder.

Maybe we should require those of below average IQ to register. You could be first.

Captdon
02-03-2018, 11:23 AM

The right to gun ownership is a right. Sex offenses aren't. Hard to figure this one out? Creepy.

MrMike
02-03-2018, 11:31 AM
The right to gun ownership is a right. Sex offenses aren't. Hard to figure this one out? Creepy.

I think the rationale is that is someone commits a crime using a gun, it's fair to say they probably will again. I would think that crime (and using a gun during it) is a fair tradeoff to have them register.

In reality, I would even go so far as to say they should be restricted from owning one, but that determination would be leveled based on the severity of the crime. That part is a little murky and likely to be abused/misinterpreted.

Cletus
02-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Any kind of registry is a bad idea. They are wrong, pure and simple.

It doesn't matter whether it is a registry of gun offenders, sex offenders, adulterers, or jaywalkers.

Peter1469
02-03-2018, 01:17 PM
I actually agree with the registry for those convicted of gun offenses. Not a bad idea.

Me too. I am all for the 2nd Amendment, but if you misuse a gun for criminal purposes your 2nd Amendment rights should be stripped from you.

Cletus
02-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Me too. I am all for the 2nd Amendment, but if you misuse a gun for criminal purposes your 2nd Amendment rights should be stripped from you.

They are, but that is a separate issue from a national or state registry.

Peter1469
02-03-2018, 01:24 PM
They are, but that is a separate issue from a national or state registry.

How else would his state ensure he didn't buy a gun from a legal seller? The person in question already demonstrated that they were a criminal, so we can't just rely on him to comply with the prohibition of his purchasing another gun.

He still can go get one on the black market.

Cletus
02-03-2018, 01:28 PM
How else would his state ensure he didn't buy a gun from a legal seller? The person in question already demonstrated that they were a criminal, so we can't just rely on him to comply with the prohibition of his purchasing another gun.

The same way it is done now. The dealer runs a NICS check on him and the FBI says yes or no.

What we are talking about here is a public registry which can be accessed by anyone.

Peter1469
02-03-2018, 01:35 PM
The same way it is done now. The dealer runs a NICS check on him and the FBI says yes or no.

What we are talking about here is a public registry which can be accessed by anyone.
That makes sense.