PDA

View Full Version : NYPD Medal of Valor found at an Ohio thrift shop

gamewell45
03-09-2018, 11:55 PM
It's really nice to know that there are still kind people out there in the world who try to do the right thing. As of now it looks like the medal will be returned to the NYPD who will see if they can find a family member to give it to and if not, it'll find a place at Police headquarters.

When Lori Kline found an NYPD Medal of Valor in a $4 grab bag she bought at an Ohio thrift shop, she didn't rest on her laurels.
The 47-year-old made her way to the website NYPDangels.com and announced her discovery on the memorial page for the medal's recipient, John Morrissey.
Morrissey died way in 1934, but Kline was determined to restore his legacy.
“I am glad that I found this so it isn't sold or lost,” she wrote on the website on Dec. 27. “I want to make sure it goes where it belongs to his family or NYC PD.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nypd-medal-valor-found-ohio-thrift-shop-article-1.3866125

MMC
03-10-2018, 07:57 AM
If I find a Superbowl ring in a giftbag......You can count on one thing. It wont be going back to the NFL. Just sayin.

Standing Wolf
03-10-2018, 11:11 AM
I used to collect older police shooting and marksmanship medals, and one day came across one from the '50s, pinned to a small piece of cardboard with a name and "San Diego" on it. Going online, I quickly discovered that the San Diego PD officer it had belonged to had died in the line of duty. That was about ten years ago, and I remember wondering at the time if his family would want to have it. I mean, it's not a Medal of Valor or anything like that, but still... Medals are some very nice family heirlooms. Now I'm incentivized to actually do some research and make some inquiries.

rcfieldz
03-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Donating old medals to a Department or Lodge depending on origin would seem like the right thing to do.